Is my extraction too powerful?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by butcher87, Jul 15, 2016.

1. #1 butcher87, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    Hi my tent is 2x2x4ft my extraction is 94cfm before adding the filter.

I was just reading a thread saying it should be around 75cfm and his fan is too much for his cabinet using the same fan as me.

But his cabinet sounds bigger than my tent at 5ft tall and wider.

I'm having big problems right now I think my plant is dying tbh. Over watering sounds like the most probable but my moisture meter reads 1 throughout the pot. 2 right in the centre of the root zone.

My fingers and weight test say ther bone dry for atleast 50% of the pot.

But the leafs are droopy as the lower section has all gone in just a week.

Last time I waterd them was 3-4 days ago and they are in fabric pots with perlite which I thought was pretty hard to over water.

After just seeing that thread and it saying changing the air in the tent so fast can be bad. I wanted to ask here.

Then carry this thread on to mayb diagnose my plant.

(It all started when I put another light in, fed with molasses from meridian unsulpherd blackstrap.

I gave two doses of food last week one grow and one bloom/topmax at .5ml each.

I really want to flush it out if I'm honest, but worried I could over water it more if that is it. Which I can't see since its dry all the time lol.

2. Some pics. They'll be on week 6 on Sunday.

Here's yesterday looking the same as last week when they drooped. Moist meter showing 2.0, today showing 1.0 out of ten Surley that's as dry as you'd ever let it go.
    20160714_125714.jpg

I noticed this yesterday on one plant. I have brought some Epson salt. But haven't used it. I think this is a mag def. But I haven't confirmed with anybody yet. So I could be way off but atleast have the stuff ready.

20160714_131946.jpg

Here's how my lowryder looked yesterday. 20160714_130143.jpg

3. dude that plant is thirsty as fuck

good rule of thumb is over watering the leaves will droop down but the stems of the leaves will still be pointing up. this is because the water weight is too much for the leaves to hold.

under watering the leaves and the leaves stems both pointing downward because its wilting.

just lift ur pot now, then water it and lift it again.

in the future go by weight of the container to know if you need to water or not. along with visual cues from the plant of course.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Also I have tested the ph meter against an Api master test kit for freshwater. Then pen was near point on 4 sources. So I've ruled ph out.

I added a 105w led, to a mars 300. Temps have been 28c for the most part. I heated the room to try and dry the pots faster. So they had afew hours above 30c with 33c being the maximum.

(I was watching the minimum reading for the last week, so high temps is another suspect. But it does usually average 26-28c which I don't think is too bad. RH 40%

5. it's a little on the hot side but its not too bad. your RH is fine too for flowering.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Excellent thanks morange, I'll mix her up some water now just ph'd to 6.8 as usual. I believe biobizz soil is 6.8ph so I keep it there.

Again could be wrong, but it will buffer the ph too. I figured 6.8ph down from 8+ from water standing days in an open bottle.

7. Are you absolutely sure they need water, as I'm told over waterd too and don't want to rush water in to find out.

I waterd last time and they was droopy but they didn't perk up after. They've been wilting more and more every day for around a week.

Centre mass of the pot feels moist, the outter edge is bone dry.

I'm thinking about wrapping up 50% of the pot to hopfully dry out slower. I doubt any roots make it to the cloth it's so dry. I have the pots raised off the ground too. Mayb I should put them on the ground.

8. I have a litre of 6.9ph water with half a tea spoon of epson salt mixed in I'll give them once I know for sure. I'll mix this litre to the other water so the salt dose is diluted even more so it would be like a half dose.

I usually give them 1L each every 3 days. So I'm struggling with the over watering idea too. But water doesn't perk them up.

If I should definitely water I think I'll run 2L each plant to wash away the molasses if I can.

9. i mean unless the medium is realy saturated theres no way thats over watering

the medium looks dry from the pics and the plant looks thirsty

make sure you give enough water to have run off. 1L is very little. I usually give my plants between 1 and 3 gallons each. i prefer to give plenty of run off to make sure theres no salt buildup

this of course depends on container size. for 2 gallon containers I give 1 gallon, for 5 gallons I give 2 and for 10 I give 3 gallons.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mo knows. Trust mo

11. Ok I have given lowryder 2L with half tea spoon of epson salt plenty of run off. I let it wick up what it could and got 60 or 70% wet.

I hope it perks up but last watering didn't so I'm unsure now. But I did just feel how weak the stems are right now. It feels like weak. Also the main stem has leaned over.

The run off came out at 7.2ph. But I put 6.9ph into it. I hope the buffer gets it to the sweet spot.

I also wread the soil buffer can lower the ph easier than they can raise it. Nor sure if it's true but thought ide feed neutral.

12. Ok guys thanks my plants have perked up. Not 100% but they dont look like ther dying anymore lol.

Lowryder made the biggest improvement, but I turned her light off all night. To keep temps down its back on now with temps at 28c straight away.

Both pots are still reading 80-90% wet so ther holding the water now with the strip of tape around the pot.

Could this droppy be from over watering. Like I'm going from under straight to over watering which Is why I'm never seeing them perked 100%

Either way I'm much happier today, I might have to choose one light and use it over both plants.

I have a budget of around £300 I would use on a nice led light. Wish I could order the super nova sn300
    20160716_125710.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. Try not to let them get to the point of wilting,
    Also it would be advisable that you had picked up and felt the round about weight of the pots when they were dry like that,
    Over watering seems to happen with frequency of watering and not really amount of water used, during veg I absolutely saturate my pots then let em get almost bone dry and my plants are usually pretty happy,
    Stuff is funny though , what works for some strains, and even some individual plants, may not work for others

Sent from my van down by the river

• Like Like x 1
  14. your biggest mistake is using bottles for a soil grow. have you looked into something like no til or true living organics? you basically premix all that youll need. i always chuckle when i see bottles and soil..but to each their own.

i was always told bottles for hydro only

• Like Like x 2
  15. Boom, thanks man I had the weights down tbh but the last waters didn't improve anything so I was leaning to over watering being the problem. Now I know when I was watering them I wasn't giving them enough water. Usally 1L each.

I absolutely drenched them last night tho 90-100% wet on the meter. From now on I'll water them by weight and look for 30% on the meter.

I'm glad this is over if you check my journal it's been going on for a week I think.

Orange saved them yesterday tho they looked half dead for sure. But today perked right up as of now they are perfect to me anyway lol.

Darren not sure what you mean mate, I use bottles of water standing to evaporate the chlorine and bubble over night ect.
    I also use bottled nutes the complete biobizz range.

I'm unsure of no til ect I've heard the saying on here afew times tho. I am a total noob lol. Finding my feet still.

Here's how they look now after perking up more. Thanks again morange for saving them.

Now I need to wait to dry out then start thinking about what to feed them and when ect ect. They had a touch of epson salt last night. Half a tea spoon to 2L of water ph'd at 6.9 for lowryder and 6.5 for auto#1.

20160716_162948.jpg
    20160716_162843.jpg
    20160716_180341.jpg

There's still a couple things like the spots and leaves canoeing. But they look good I'm very happy.

Also looking forward to any more advice. Yesterday I thought I wasted 5 weeks and was ready to snip and restart. So today is great.

16. RH has gone up to 50% now with temps at 28c.

I have added another fan but it's outside the tent blowing onto the tents in take.

Hoping it cools air before going into the tent. I wouldn't be able to fit it inside the tent.

17. what i meant was bottles for nutes. just a pet peeve of mine hehe...

18. Darren means there is ways to provide your plant with everything it needs nutrient wise with natural and organic fertilizers you can pre mix in before you plant.
    Also fans don't cool air they just move it so your idea isn't going to be too effective