Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is my coconut oil moldy?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by corkjar, Apr 7, 2015.

1. So I have coconut canna oil made via BadKat's method. Herb was decarbed, jar used was clean and dry. Coconut oil was brand new. It looks like it has grown mold now a few days later. Unfortunately I have eaten oil like this before thinking it was just coconut oil acting funky in the cold temps I live in, but now I'm not so sure. Responses are very much appreciated as I am in a lot of pain right now after surgery and I was planning on using this to medicate, now I don't know if I can. It doesn't smell moldy or anything.

Jar1.jpg
    jar2.jpg
    jar3.jpg

2. Mold can grow rapidly on cannabis infused coconut oil. I need to store unused cannacoco oil in the freezer even though the weather is cold during the winter months.

3. My internet is sluggish, sorry for the short responses.

The reason cannabis infused coconut oil goes moldy fast if not stored in the freezer is because all it takes is a slight amount of moisture to turn coconut oil into mold haven. Since most of us add water as a heat buffer for slow cooked infusions, even though we drain the water, there is still a bit of moisture left in the infused oil.

If I don't clean my slow cooker after making a batch of canna-coco butter within 48 hours, the pot will grow mycelium fungus hairs. Eww.[​IMG]

Additionally, when using coconut oil from a large jar, always use a clean, dry utensil to scoop out the oil, or warm the container and let the oil liquify.

4. #4 corkjar, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2015
    So it's mold? I've eaten an entire quart of oil that looked like this in the past when I was camping and I thought it was just from the cold temps..

5. I think it looks like mold. In my family it doesn't matter what's moldy we just get rid of the moldy part and use the good part. I do have to say that when doing this the stuff you use is probably very close to being moldy And might not be a good idea to consume. Ijdgaf though

6. #6 Cannabelle, Apr 7, 2015
    After a couple of days of room temperature, it would be mold and whatever air born pathogen that landed on the cannacoco butter. Cannacoco butter should be used within a day if left at room temperature and within a week if left in the fridge. Several months to indefinitely in the freezer. Otherwise, it's up to you to decide how much mold, weird fungi and bacteria you are willing to risk. It's also up to you to prevent spoilage by storing unused cannacoco butter appropriately.

This is what 3 month old frozen cannacoco butter looks like fresh from my freezer:
    frozen cannabutter.png
    It's a smooth light green on the side.

frozen cb2.png
    Some olive brown on the bottom of the container from residual water moisture that has settled with a small amount of left over dark plant bits.

7. #7 corkjar, Apr 7, 2015
    Oh my god... I'm no rookie, but for some reason I never got the memo that it needed to be kept in the freezer to prevent spoilage.

I make a lot of other herbal oils, and normally when you make an herbal oil with dry herbs, it doesn't need to be refrigerated as long as you made sure there is no moisture in it. I make all kinds of salves and balms and have never had one go moldy on me. I've been making herbal remedies for years, but my canna coco oil is the only one this has happened to. What gives?

I don't use any water in the process..

I'm not willing to risk any weird pathogens! I didn't realize I was eating mold! I feel like a fucking idiot now though, that's for sure. Massive facepalm. I'm dumping the whole jar, it's not a big deal to me.

Now I'm just wondering if I have mycotoxosis or some other weirdness growing inside of me.

Cannabelle, thank you so much for your informative responses. It means a lot to me. I hope I didn't contract any severe illness from eating my fuck-ups in the past. The other jar that I ate that was like this wasn't nearly as bad, which is why I thought maybe it was just some discoloration, but now I realize that doesn't make any sense. Wow.

edit: Wait - fuck! I just realized where the moisture came from! I never use water in my method, it's all dry and in the oven, but after my oil's finished I put it in the freezer to break everything down more before I strain the herb out. When it's in the freezer, it's covered tightly with tin foil. However, I'm now realizing it surely gets condensation at this point. Oh my god, no wonder my coconut oil always comes out weird since I started doing the freeze method!

8. Hugs[​IMG]

Please don't feel so bad. I learned from the school of hard knocks too. I doubt you contracted any illness because you likely used the other  stuff up before it grew hairy and you probably also heated the oil up enough to deactivate some of the fungi and bacteria.

It wasn't so bad when I was growing up in Hawaii if the coconut oil went rancid or moldy. Coconuts grow all over Hawaii and oil is cheap. However, on the mainland states, coconut oil is imported from a tropical region and is very expensive as it is sold as a luxury dietary supplement. I don't like wasting pricey coconut oil or cannabis products.

9. Thankfully it was a big vat from costco so not tooooo pricey, just a few bucks.  And the flowers were free, originally destined for the fire pit (?!? oh they're a season old... are you kidding me?). So no biggie.

I'm enjoying some fresh hash coco oil now (sure is nice living in a medical state), feel much better knowing I'm not eating mold. Thanks for the hugs and replies! Looks like I have more to perfect in my technique still, I think I'll just skip the freezing from now on. I'm curious if I can store it at room temp without growing mold if I make sure it absolutely never gets condensation. All my other herbal salves and whatnot have no problems being stored at room temp, and I'm guessing it's because I don't freeze before straining.

10. Thanks for this informative thread. Mine is stored in chunks in a plastic container in the fridge and it just looks like something that may have had color leach out of one surface over time (one side is lighter green than the other), but it kinda has a moldy taste and smell. I wish I'd known to keep it in the freezer before now. It's not horrible with fuzzy mold like the OP's pics but I wonder if it's okay to use topically for pain relief. Maybe I can post a pic when I get home.

11. So I was reading about mold abatement in food as I have a very moldy jar of coconut canna oil. So what i did was take bits of stem and other fresh canna detritis, along with the remainder from my arizer solo. I started with a half jar of fresh coconut oil. Heated and added vape ash and stems a few times. Then, when I thought i was at crittical mass, I sealed the jar. and let it sit in a dark spot... Then the mold came, so i thought, this is a problem for latter, already moldy, can't get worse. Well now I have a chance to fix it. I was reading that mold cannot be boiled away, nor many of its toxins, but both cinnamon and vit c are anti-mold agents.
    so my plan
    scrape any mold i can see
    reheat oil and add Vitamin C (I'm thinking in the oven)
    Then strain the oil into a fresh sanitized container and put it in the freezer.

my questions
    1. recomended oven temp
    2. anyone tried vit c to neutralise mold and the toxins it leaves? I know cinnamon works great in abating mold in growing plants, my orchids thrive with a regular sprinkle. I found an article that talks about using Vt C to detoxify moldy nuts. [ Dr Hulda Clark: Moldy food & aflotoxins « livingnetwork.co.za ]
    3. What do I do with the oil once it is finished? (I am very much a beginner)