Is my bud ok???

Discussion in 'General' started by John4414, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Ok so the other day I was reading about people putting fruit peels in their stash to give it a nice smell/ moisture. I didn't have any orange peels so I used a banana peel because I love bananas. I left the peel in the jar overnight and all was well, but today (3 days after) I opened the jar and the bud had a very strange smell. Not the original smell, and defiantly not like bananas. What could this be? Is my bud ok? Thanks!:confused:

2. basically what you've done is put banana peels in your stash jar, thus somewhat "humidifying" your weed.
    Just smoke it, i bet it burns slower and tastes better...

3. I'm just worried that it has molded or something. I mean I only left the peel in there overnight so I can't imagine it molding, but I'm just paranoid.

4. banana skins excrete a certain chemical, cant remember the name, which makes other fruit ripen quicker, not saying this would harm your weed but they also go nasty over time whereas orange/lemon peels simply dry out. It wont kill you, and youll still get high but to save your stash from mould id use citrus fruit next time :)

5. Haha. Why would you do that?

6. To re hydrate my stash, suppose to burn slower.

7. I'm not saying it did, but if the banana peel gave off excess humidity there is a possibility that your bud could have molded. Mold generally smells really bad, like ammonia and cat piss, I hear. Refer to this thread for visual help:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/apprentice-tokers/236072-mold-pot-photos.html

Also, this was a dumb idea to begin with. Weed smells awesome, why the fuck would you want to ruin it by making it smell like banana or orange peels? :confused::confused_2:

8. #8 John4414, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012
    Thanks for the info. I looked at those pictures and the bud had probably molded. Had to flush 2gs of some fire. Lesson, don't even use banana peels to re hydrate your weed. Not even overnight.

9. Iv'e done this like 1 time with a lemon peel and it did make some bud I left out for about a week or so less harsh to toke, I will not do it again lol, to afraid of mold developing.

10. [quote name='"John4414"']

Thanks for the info. I look at those pictures and the bud had probably molded. Had to flush 2gs of some fire. Lesson, don't even use banana peels to re hydrate your weed. Not even overnight.[/quote]

No problem. Sometimes lessons have to be learned the hard way lol.

For next time, jars can keep your bud fresh for a much longer time than plastic bags. Those plastic bags will quickly dry out your bud between 1-2 weeks, although they're fine for transportation. For storage, always go with air-tight sealed glass jars.