Is my bud moldy?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by case22, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Whats up GC? Happy 4/20!

I was taking some pics of my 4:20 smoke; some delicious SAGE I harvested at the end of Jan. I noticed some white "spider webs" on the nug I had out (see pic 2). If someone could Identify what this is, I would be really grateful. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. looks like dust to me little dust hairs

3. Looks fine, probably some dust, doesn't look like any mold Ive experienced.

4. Awesome, thanks a bunch! I was a little worried I was going to have to turn it all to hash.

5. Looks like my bud! Yeah trichs are so sticky to be pollinated. Probably picked up stray dust. Put in jar then smell after few days. If its ammonia smelling it could be but I don't see it. I've got Kush x White Widow looks so similar. Do a smell test but don't freak.

6. It looks like spider mites to me as I am currently battling them, as well. I have used a dustbuster to vacuum them off, or if they're more stubborn you could water cure them if you want.

7. I'm pretty sure you are right about the mites. I've never water cured before so I don't really know much about it. I really don't want mites just chilling a few rooms down from my cab though.

8. Here's some more info on it:

http://forum.grasscity.com/harvesting-processing-medical-marijuana/267599-water-curing.html

You could also just give it a quick rinse with some warm water. To be honest, it doesn't look like the webbing's that bad so you should be fine using a cotton swab to wipe it off or vacuum.

Besides that, that is some mighty fine looking bud!

9. Thanks! Yeah that is the most intense bud I have ever smoked, though I'm pretty new to the 'coinsurer' bud scene. I honestly don't smoke it very often because its that kind of bud that fucks me up and leaves me dazed for most of the following day.

Wouldn't wiping the buds down with a cotton swab break off a lot of trichs?

10. Yeah, you would want to be careful with the cotton swab. I'm sure it's fine, as is.

11. Spider webs is what's on there . Enjoy the webbed bud , I've had to smoke buds with small amounts of mold on it , and I'm still alive lol .

12. Ive got the same issue on quite a few of my buds. Not that many webs but they are noticable. Not sure what to do. I had to move my plant in with some friends when them smell was brought to my attention by the maintenance man working in my apt buiding. Thanks to him being very cool I got it out before they brought dogs in to find out where smell was coming from.
    However, the home I took it to had over 50 plants in veg and their place was not kept clean like mine so Im sure it is where I picked it up. I never had any mites during my entire veg nor 45 days of flower. It was dried and cured to perfection. If not for you I would not have noticed it. Im not sure about going through a water bath (cure) since I dont see any mites. It looks like leftover webs they were using during flower in the end to get around. No marks per my growers handbook that is a sign of them during veg.
    Let me know what you did. I dont like the thought of smoking spider mites but the small amount of hairs dont bother me really if I can get them off without causing destruction to trichs.
    My veg pic didnt show any signs but the is a hair on my buds can be seen under a scope.
    Im going to take more pics of the buds with webs for advice. These dont show too many. Thanks

Attached Files:

13. Case22 - Let me know what you did bro. My bud is the same - Two hits off my Blaze bong and Im couch locked and in another world. I dont want to screw up the trichs either. Im wonering about having someone hold my scope while I use something to pick the webs off without knocking off the trichs. Thanks man.

14. If you did have mites on your bud, I wouldn't think picking off the webs would be effective at killing them. But I looked over your pictures and didn't see any webbing, just a few hairs.

So far I haven't done anything, just kept the jar sealed until I figure out what I want to do. I did let the buds dry out a tad more on a piece of paper then stuck them back in the jar, as of now I'm not too concerned about it. I don't mind inhaling a few mites; I wouldn't think they would be any more harmful to my lungs than combusted raw plant material. I just got to remember to wash my hands and what not before I mess with my current plants.

Great looking plant though, is the only light source the cfls in that parabolic reflector or is it getting side lighting from something bigger?

15. The buds with more webs were not photographed yet. Im not sure when or where I picked them up. I only used CFL's (6 - 6500k during veg and 2700k for flower) for the grow and it was very nice to say the least. I was happy with the results.

Im kind of in the same boat as you about what to do. I have a growers book that talks all about it but it is more towards the veg flower stage which I never saw any sign of them. Yellow dots and holes. Im thinking of putting my jars in the freezer for a month or so since they have been cured and freezing will not harm the buds since they go through sublimation which won't cause loss of trichs. If you're familiar with chemistry it is the same process of why ice cubes get smaller in your freezer without melting. It by-passes the liquid stage and goes from solid to gas and back again.

I havent seen any mites only webs. Like you I figure its a tad of protein. My growers handbook says they are the most serious of all pests due to their high rate of reproduction.

Good luck and if you come across any ideas hit me up. Im going to the hydro store tomorrow to pick up some things for my outdoor grow and will ask the guy working there for advice.

16. Will do man, if you try freezing let us know how it turns out, if it has any effect on the smoke.

Good luck. And keep it behind the fence ;)

17. Where do you live bro? I don't need the state or anything to specific just a region. If you live in the U.S. up north towards N.Y, Maine, Delaware. Places like that its prob not mites.

18. Up north but not that far. IL. I went through a vast majority of bigger buds and found none so I'm not so worried any more. Not sure what it was on the two smaller buds from the one jar. It looked like webs. I put it all in freeze in any event to store it. Have 2 Liberty Haze getting ready to put outside after I FIM and top her once to let her heal up then its all sunshine. More pests to worry about on this outdoor grow. By the way, I never could find any mites either. Just saw hair or web. I wonder if my 40x loupe can see them?

19. It shouldn't have any effect due to chemical properties. Moreover, I've read here that its a good way to keep it fresh longer. By the time I need the 3 jars I froze ill be freezing!! My Haze will be cured by then too. Hope it turns out as this will be 1st serious outdoor grow. By that I mean with much more knowledge about everything, except growing outside. There's more to it behind the fence.

Peace Bro

20. Oregon is infested with mites.  I have had to battle them on inside and outdoor grows.  This sucks.  Thankfully it has been raining lately so maybe they all drowned :)