Is music a drug on its own?

Discussion in 'General' started by What'sThatSmell, May 7, 2007.

1. I love music.
    That's a funny thing to say after denying myself the pleasure of ever listening to it during my childhood.
    But now I've come to accept it in its awesome form.
    I can relate with others who appreciate the same classics as me or the same sounds.
    Its quite a big part of my life.

It also seems to be helping me..
    I'm a fairly softly spoken individual normally, I take different recreational drugs to change that.
    However I find that music also has the power to bring out my voice.
    After listening to musicians pour their heart and soul out for the world, being blasted into my ears, I feel compelled to speak out.
    Every time I sing along to my favorite songs I feel my throat muscles loosening and can express myself easier.

Does music help you in such a way that you wonder if its a drug?

Music is life.

2. yes. What you described i feel too. Music can create a mood for me or help me focus. I love just listening to whole albums and trying to understand what the artist is trying to convey or just thinking about what the music means to me. I just wish i understood note progression and music theory more. Music is life for me and im finding it hard to put in words how much it means to me.

you play any instruments?

3. Music way more complex than "drugs". I can see where your comming from, but I would say no.

4. I guess if you can't live without it,then yeah it's similar to a drug. For me, I spend about 4 hours a day at the piano...playing and practicing. I haven't missed a day in about 10 years.

5. I most def. cannot live without music... but your giving drugs such a bad rep by what you just said.... "if you can live without it is similar to a drug" ... I can live without pot, and without other drugs i take.... but i choose to take them... Recreationaly...

6. it has effect on my consciousness while listening and even otherwise. i'm an experimental musician, and sound itself does a lot to me. `

7. Anything can act as a "drug" persay by effecting your mind.

8. Well its not a drug by defenition, which is kind of obvious, but some people might be taking it that way.
    However, its affects can be more altering to my state of mind than most drugs.

Also, What'sThatSmell, that second paragraph is really nice. Smooth and pretty.