Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is MJ inducing schizophrenia?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Whatapee, Aug 9, 2011.

1. When im sober none of these things happen, but whenever i toke up a bit more i start hearing things and people that aren't there, and having paranoid thoughts
    These are the main symptoms of schizophrenia, maybe smoking induces the symptoms on me and they will start to appear even when i'm sober?

2. I highly doubt it. Just enjoy that you get really high.

3. Yah happens to me. I ignore it most of the time but sometimes i see moving things in the corners of my eyes that looks like the grudge and shit. Creeps me out

4. Marijuana won't make a mentally stable person unstable. If you already have underlying mental issues such as schizophrenia, and you find marijuana aggravates it, you might be best to not smoke anymore. Everyone is different, but marijuana won't CAUSE schizophrenia.

5. depends on what you are hearing?

I mean i hear all kinds of shit late at night while medicated. Just enhances your perception thats all.

6. idk. there is some research that claims in the long-run, people who smoke marijuana frequently are more likely to become schizophrenic. then there's also the predisposition and marijuana / other things triggering it.

maybe people with schizophrenia just happened to smoke marijuana often, and they were bound to get it regardless anyway.

7. #7 mjmama25, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2011
    This.

With how many people in the world who smoke pot, and how many people who are schitophrenic, there are bound to be schitophrenic smokers, but I think genetics are the cause, not the pot. Although the pot may bring it out more in them. I'd stay away from sativa strains because they're more likely to raise heart rate and induce paranoia. Get a nice chill GDP and you'll just eat and sleep.

8. Auditory hallucinations are very extremely common bro? Paranoia too for new smokers.

9. just remember if it persists, take a tbreak

10. These things happen when you're really high. It's pretty natural and you shouldn't worry about it.

11. i have a anxiety disorder. i freak out about little things in life.
    but i dont think its skitzo. i do hear stuff at night and stuff out of the corners of my eyes. but im pretty sure thats just sleep deprivation. i just go to bed and feel better in the morning

12. Don't worry about it...shrug it off. It's worrying about it that leads to schizophrenia.

13. No. If you were genetically pre-disposed with shchizophrenia, weed CAN bring it out of you earlier in life than normal.

14. It used to happen to me, and I would get all paranoid thinking "Oh am I schizophrenic?"

Then I remembered I was high

Sometimes I would hear music or distorted voices and then i was like "Wait... There's no music playing... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

15. Eh, dont sweat it too much, schizophrenia is all in your head...

16. what a shitty troll

17. There is a theory called the dopamine theory and it gives reason as to why schizophrenia develops in people that are genetically susceptible. The idea is that if the brain is exposed to high levels of dopamine on a regular basis, then it may induce schizophrenia.

If you didnt already know, smoking weed releases dopamine. If you happen to wake and bake often or smoke many sessions throughout the day then there is a good chance your subjecting your brain to irregularly high levels of dopamine. If this is the case start cutting back, working out and keep a well balanced diet.

18. Those that have a genetic predisposition to mental illnesses can have those illnesses come out with mj. But the disease already has to be latent in you. If you don't have it or the predisposition to it in the first place, then you're fine and it's just normal weed paranoia and auditory hallucinations

19. Those are not the main symptoms of schizophrenia, trust me, I play a doctor on TV.:cool: