Is marijuana LEGAL in Ontario Canada now?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Potentcy, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Hey everyone! It being July 10, Is marijuana now legal in Ontario??

I read an article saying that the government "is appealing", but the date hasn't even been set it said, and it's already July 10th so does that mean it is legal in Ontario?

2. Ill check it up, but I believe appeal means it is awaiting court approval. Will post if I find so

3. no it's not legal. and it's not going to happen with the current gov.

4. As of now, it is in the legal systems of Canada. The courts have ruled that the illegalization of marijuana is unconstitutional, but no official bill has passed.

Think of it as Cannabis being in the middle as of now. Neither legal nor illegal. A decision has not been made yet

5. Yeah, I read somewhere that the federal government was given an extra 6 months to 'fix' the MMJ system...so a ruling will be set in November-ish.

Idk if its true though, could be fake.
    I wanna know as well whats happening w/ this law, cause I live in Ontario. This concerns me ;p

6. I just read, Marijuana laws will stand until the appeal in heard. Not sure if they have set a date yet.

7. No, never will be.

There's just an increased tolerence for possession of small amounts here, that's how it's been and I truly believe that is how it'll stay.

8. Now now, there's no need to be so pessimistic. :) Twenty years ago, that tolerance for small amounts was not quite what it is today.

And 60 or so years before that? We were in pre-prohibition times, and cannabis had at that point been used by man for thousands of years. In the span of a single human beings lifetime, a lot has changed concerning the way cannabis is handled by authority. And a lot has changed period, cannabis aside.

To assume nothing's going to change in your own lifetime, is to seriously underestimate the change we've already been through.

So keep your heads up, stand up for yourselves and what you believe in, and who knows: in another 60 years, some of you younger folks may live to see our Presidents and Prime Ministers once again enjoying a good pipe or spliff, along with their evening whiskey. :)

9. Im in Ontario as well, I'll be watching the news tonight, ill post back if anything is mentioned!

10. UPDATE: Matt Mernaugh himself [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT2zCyirv7g]YouTube - ‪90 Day Marijuana Legalization Loss‬‏[/ame]

Its been extended :(

11. Noooooooooooooooooooo.

November, thats so far away :(

12. So keep your heads up, stand up for yourselves and what you believe in, and who knows: in another 60 years, some of you younger folks may live to see our Presidents and Prime Ministers once again enjoying a good pipe or spliff, along with their evening whiskey. :)

Well said sir.

Unfortunately I doubt the will do anything but decriminalize a couple of grams and probably not even officially.

13. IT IS NOT LEGAL!!!! The judge granted the Crown a stay at the hearing on June 20th, giving them an extension so that weed wouldn't be legal on July 11th. Sorry guys :(.

14. Kitty's right!

When I started toking, two roaches could get you 20 years in CALIFORNIA! (1968, Tim Leary)

You know, California? Where, now, you can just about get a MMJ rec for being "warm and breathing" and even without a rec, an ounce is a $100 fine like a parking ticket!

If you dudes would spend even an hour a week actually doing something toward legalizing, we might get this done a little sooner! And yes, writing to those bone-headed politicians DOES work! Even for Republicans!

Medical marijuana legalization getting new life at Statehouse - Springfield, IL - The State Journal-Register

"Cross, R-Oswego, had opposed the legislation in the past, but changed his mind after hearing from constituents and members of the medical community, spokeswoman Sara Wojcicki said."

Cross has not only changed his mind, but he's going against his Republican colleagues wishes!

15. Marijuana is not going to be legal on a technicality. Millions of soccer moms that have been told their entire lives weed was devil spawn and the worst drug out there would fucking riot.

Thou hast not felt the fury of flabby arms and cheap jewelry until the government says "Oops, I guess we shouldn't have been feeding you bullshit your whole life. My bad."

It be a conservative party suicide and they will make whatever changes necessary to remain a leading political party. Laws will be changed for sure, and that's kind of exciting. I'm really hoping they take a progressive approach to this.

16. If anyone can do it, it's Matt Mernagh...

17. Yeah Matt Mernagh is the one speaking for all the stoners in Canada/ontario. Its up to him.

18. I could not agree more about the soccer moms, flabby arms, and cheap jewelry. Truly, soccer moms are the #1 enemy of marijuana legalization (besides the government and politicians, of course). I have met many soccer moms in my life, and i have only met a few who weren't dumb, stuck-up, ignorant, and over protective of their children. They're the same scum who want to outlaw violent video games and are on the school parent-teacher committee trying to pass rules which marginalize and shelter children. I know that sounds like a harsh generalization, but that's just been my experience with them. I know there are a lot of good soccer moms out there, but they seem to be few and far apart.

19. Aye it was more a generalization of people born 1960-1975 but way to take the term and run with it.

I know what you mean. It's the same people that sue schools cause their kid jumped off a roof and broke his leg. The same people that have hand sanitzer everywhere and use it more frequently then what is healthy.

If kids are not allowed to grow up, build immunities and act like kids the human race is fucked. Or going to be exceptionally weak., but this is a discussion for another topic another time.

20. Lol it's funny cause i knew a really dumb kid in highschool who jumped off the roof trying to jump on a snow bank. he missed and broke both his ankles. Not that a fucking snow bank would do you much good jumping off a 10ft roof... kids these days.