Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is marijuana a psychedelic?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Metallic Junkie, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Well... It doesn't make me see things that aren't there. But it makes me see shapes and interpret things differently. For example, some shapes on my grateful dead poster made a face, but never would I have thought of that if I wasn't high.

And is it an upper or a downer? It seems like it can be both. Well, more like it amplifies whatever I am feeling. If I feel upset, smoking weed makes me think more about all my problems.

2. Doesn't it increase heart rate? Also has psych like effects. But don't think it's considered psychedelic

3. Hollister's criteria for establishing that a drug is hallucinogenic is:

in proportion to other effects, changes in thought, perception, and mood should predominate;
    intellectual or memory impairment should be minimal;
    stupor, narcosis, or excessive stimulation should not be an integral effect;
    autonomic nervous system side effects should be minimal; and
    addictive craving should be absent

Cannabis fits this criteria quite well.

4. Weed has made me hear music that was not actually playing. I have also heard other noises that turned out to be hallucinogens.

It is a stimulant and you will get tired if you smoke to much and when you start to come down generally.

5. They dont necessarily make you see shit that isnt there, like at lower doeses shrooms just warp things and make them breathe. But I would consider marijuana a psychedelic cause of personal experience, when I get really high I see faintly glowing patterns on the sky and walls. Kind of like I cant directly observe them but theyre there :D :smoking:

edit: yea ive heard badass music in my head too, i can never get it onto paper/guitar tho :(

6. Your vision can become distorted. Some people say colors are brighter and sharper.

Smoke a strong sativa man.... they can be trippy

7. Idk how to tell difference of weeds when i get em. Just what's goood weed

8. Yes you can trip out if you smoke enough. This usually happens to me playing on the PS3 with some tunes on.

9. It depends on the individual, but weed isn't a psychedelic for most people. I will say that, after playing Pokemon Blue exceeeeeesively for nostalgia's sake, and then getting high, I heard the game music clear as if I were playing it, and my mind was blown. And if I get high enough and lie down to sleep, with some good music and headphones, I get closed-eye visuals. Tolerance is a big factor into it all, though.

10. If you haven't really 'tripped' then you aren't going to trip.

Weeds a psychoactive compound, not psychedelic. I love that shit ;)

11. exactly! it happens to me all the time when im have my radio playing real low. i'll think im listening to one song, when in reality another is actually playing

12. It is a psychedelic, not all psychedelics make you hallucinate.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using GC Forum

13. I think its a hallucinogen.i guess thats the same thing right

14. #16 CannabisKills, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013
    Marijuana exhibits a mix of all properties (stimulant, depressant, and hallucinogenic), and is considered a psychedelic because of the way in which it induces a more psychoactive experience, most noticeably the change in consciousness, a shift in perception with visual, psychedelic effects such as time dilation, brighter, more vivid, sharp colors, kaleidoscope-like visuals and relaxation/euphoria, as well as other effects.

I think anyone who has used marijuana knows it is an obviously psychedelic drug.

15. Yeah I wasn't going to comment on this but just because something is a psychedelic doesn't mean it makes you hallucinate. And weed is classified as a depressant. It is no way a stimulant, if you've done any of the real uppers(stimulants) you would know this. But to get back to the point, psychedelics are a class of hallucinogens. Versus the term hallucinogen which means the drug is either a psychedelic, dissociative, or a deleriant; all are very different.

16. That's a ridiculous argument. lol Marijuana exhibits both stimulant and depressant qualities. This is best exemplified by the fact that it increases heart rate, yet also reduces blood pressure. If you do your research, it seems to not increase or decrease certain chemicals in your brain, but rather regulate their uptake.