Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

is marijuana a gateway drug?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by atomickitten, May 10, 2010.

1. Wow, my life sounds eerily similar to yours, minus the adderall.

2. lol what? no its not.

3. this is the way i tink

4. nevermind, i'm confusing it with meth hahaha ):

5. tell me this does miss. mary jane hold a gun to your head and say "sniff this line or ill blow your teeth out" no she dont. its all self controle. if you can say no then your fine

6. XDD hahaha. and i don't have self control D: haha

7. im sick of this stupid theory its strictly bullshit people like to blame it on marijuana its not a gateway drug its not your fault you may have a curiousity bout something but whatever just let the world be sucked into the bullshit propaganda

8. I never get the urge to do harder drugs than pot. But that's just me. I guess it can be a gateway drug, but I don;t see too many 1st timer users buying crack. It's usually someone else in the group who pops the question. Hey, you guys wanna do some meth? The 1st time I smoked pot, my friend offered it to me.

9. yes if you smoke maryjwanna you will be sucking dick in alley for crack money within 24 hours of smoking it (just kidding), but seriously it all depends on the person, if your a dumbass you will go out looking for better highs, but weed will not lead to other drugs if your smart dude.

10. i feel like it opened me up to a new outlook on things. it definitely made me interested in the stoned/psychadelic stuff, which made me want to try shrooms.. so it sorta feels like it was a gateway

11. im a great example.

started smoking cigs at 12 my gram would get them for me. started drinking beer when i was 14 once again i'd stay at my grams. my cousins interduced me to pot at 15 i was sicker than ever before almost like the flu from the pot and was scared shitless

at 16 i drank a bottle of vodka at my friends b-day party and felt like i was dying he managed to hide me and i had a massive hangover the next day

it took me till i was 17 before i tried it again and i olny took small puffs and waited so i could control how high i got and then did it about once a month till i was 21

at 21 i did the bar thing and became a huge drunk at one point i went 6 days a week knew everyone at any bar around and when i was not there i was thinking about how much fun i'd be having later at the bar

at 28 i became dissabled was in constant pain didnt have much money to go drinking anymore as retirement dissabilty doesnt pay much for a 28yo. zoned out on free govt paid medicines and not knowing what was going on half the time cause of them.

and presant i gave up the meds smoke nightly and will never look back to those other things i have done or will i ever do any hard drugs

in short cigs and beer are gateway drugs and there legal

12. I never really liked the term gateway drug.

Marijuana, for most people, is the first drug you try growing up, because it is the most accepted in your age group and accessible.

The first time I realized, holy shit, drugs are fun -- was with marijuana.

Of course it made me want to try other drugs, i now knew, drugs were fun...

But lets say my first drug was vicodin, I still would have wanted to try more drugs afterwards, if I had a good time with the vicodin.... I think marijuana gets this gateway drug title just because it happens to be the first drug most children will have access too.

13. To paraphrase The Union:
    1) There is no chemical property of marijuana that drives people to try other drugs.
    2) Because many dealers move more than just marijuana, people are exposed to harder drugs.

14. What the hell do you think speed is, lady?

Jesus, I would be horrified if I met somebody as seemingly innocent and naive as you that was all twacked out on speed. Absolutely horrified. Maybe before you go around trying all these hard drugs and shit, you should get to the point where you know the effects of those drugs and what they do. (Or damn, at least learn how to handle your herb) But if you're admitting to having no self control, then I can just say that if you start all that addictive stuff, you're gonna go from normal to crackwhore in about 2 months. It sounds like you're considering doing drugs that you know nothing about. Theres something between your ears. You should use it.

15. i would give concurrence with this fella. this is where i'm personally at. i have absolutely no desire for tobacco, alcohol, meth, coke, heroine. the psychadelics are my friends. as of now only weed. but soon shrooms. maybe x. maybe lsd. outside of that it's a negative on the other drugs and gonna stay that way.

16. Only because its in the black market..... legalization would fix that

17. This!

18. i think prohibition itself is the reason why marijuana gets tacked on as a gateway drug.

our kids are being taught that weed is the devil's cabbage, horrible for you, and will make you go crazy and mentally ill. when kids are exposed to it and try it eventually, they fall in love with it. the next thought that goes through their mind is, "i wonder what lies that they told me about heroin? is heroin really that bad too?"

19. i'd say that the average american teenager will end up smoking pot at some point during their youth. however there are some who will also try other drugs but i wouldn't say its due to marijuana use, it's just something that some people want to do. if anything, responsible marijuana use may lead to a lift on the taboo most people have about substances labeled "drugs" but from then on its entirely a personal choice. like i may agree that some "harsh" drugs are relatively harmless but that doesn't mean i want to go out and try them. hope i helped.

20. I would say that you can categorize drugs into those that will "fuck you up," and those that "won't fuck you up."

The safer category is very connected. If you try weed, you will discover that most psychedelics are not in fact bad for you, as propaganda suggests. You will become enlightened to which drugs are good and bad. This is a safe kind of gateway. The herb is a door to the truth.

The more dangerous category will go untouched by the psychonaut-stoner, who realize that these drugs are legitimately dangerous. These include heroin, meth, cocaine, etc.

I don't even know where the heck MDMA goes.