Is Marijuana A Gateway Drug

Discussion in 'General' started by Rasta Mon, Oct 25, 2008.

1. I personally have tried weed, coke, ecstasy, shrooms, salvia(i know its not a drug), and acid
    as well as various prescription pills (xanax, vicadin, oc, benzos...the list goes on)
    i used to think no i will never do drugs
    and then i tried weed and realized how not bad that it was
    and from then went on to try other drugs because i realized that the government was blocking us from substances not that bad
    i wouldn't say weed is a gateway drug, i just think that after trying it. i felt that hey i should try other drugs because if they said weed was all bad and its not. maybe the other drugs won't be bad as well

what are your thoughts?

2. weed isn't a gateway drug but because the government lied ot us about weed its possible that other thigns arent bad. its not the weed that is a gateway its the lies.

3. I dont believe its a gateway drug i just believe its the drug in strongest supply and avalability first when growing up. If, say, other drugs were as cheap as weed then id say the gateway drug would be different.

4. Well first thing was weed.. I wouldnt say it was a gateway drug but it showed me things that thought i could never feel *happiness* so i went on to.. Coke, X, Pills *ALL KINDS*, SO much PCP,Ether, Acid, Shrooms.. Dont do PCP people plz... It left me dangerous.. Only doin Coke, X, weed pills, pcp, acid and shrooms(These Days). Gone off alot of Xanax X shrooms ganja and a lil bit of coke right now. "Yall aught to be ashamed of yourself, cause the shell of a man playin games with yoself".

5. Cannabis is never the first drug a person is exposed to.

Alcohol, Caffeine, Nicotine and the host of OTC analgesics and anti-inflammatory which inhabit every Western household are usually the first drugs a person will be exposed to.

I would contest that it's this non-nonchalant and arbitrary use of such common drugs which stimulates a subculture prone to abuse.

6. Kinda, only in the fact that it introduces you to the drug market. Once you find weed, it wont be long till you can get whatever you want

7. I think Marijuana is a gateway drug in the sense that it will show you all the bullshit you have been fed your life about drugs and will make you more curious as to the others out there... But it a joint will not make you start craving some blacktar.

And I just love it when they whip out that statistic that like 90% of heroin users started with marijuana. I mean come on! When a person starts to venture into drug exploration, their going to start with the least harmless... I don't know anyone who started off mainlining or freebasing.

8. This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+rep.

-AFD

9. Sort of is.
    Though for a long time it was just weed and alcohol for me and that's it.
    Then people began to snort stuff in front of me and have the time of their life.
    And then so did I. Fun times!!
    I choose not to do it extensively. Only on occasion. Cocaine was fun as hell and I realized that I'm so much better at guitar hero on that then any other time. Then OC's make me feel like I'm on an ultimate weed high, floatin on that cloud :)
    Haven't done shrooms, ex, or that salvia stuff.. but i'm sure if offered i couldn't deny
    That's what kind of scares me considering I was always the drug free girl growing up. Now when I can notice that the times I'm most content in life are the times I'm having amazing experiences with drugs.. sort of is worriesome to me.
    Never ever ever ever however, never meth/heroin. The horror stories are just too terrifying to me.

10. Yes as in you could start hanging around people who do other drugs and than start doing those drugs. It's not the drug itself but you.

11. I voted no but I believe it is a positive gateway drug, a gateway to wisdom and experience.
    Maryjane use did lead/condition me for Shrooms Cid and Salvia, but thats only because of the knowledge I've gained about drug disinformation; through the cannabis culture.

12. I voted Yes, because I have tried other psychedelics because weed made me less afraid/more interested in them. Therefore it was my gateway to them.

However, THIS IS NOT a bad thing. I don't abuse anything else. I am not interested in those "harder" drugs at all. If anything, it just expanded my mind.

So, gateway drug? yes. but not in a bad way.

13. i say whichever drug is the first drug a person tries is their gateway drug. it all started with coffee. then alcohol. then cigarettes. then ketamine. THEN weed. then other shit

14. The idea of marijuana being a gateway drug is completely ridiculous. It really just goes back to the government trying to make it look like a more dangerous drug than it really is.

The whole idea of doing that makes no sense to me. It's as though they felt people wouldn't buy all the other BS they spout off about marijuana so they had to throw in other factors.

They say it's a gateway drug. Essentially this mean they are saying the risk of marijuana is other drugs.
    They say it's dangerous because it could be laced. Essentially this (also) means that the risk of marijuana is other drugs.

The way that breaks down is that they are telling people that marijuana is dangerous because other drugs are dangerous. That's ridiculousness.

Marijuana is not a gateway drug.

15. you did special k before you smoked weed
    thats kinda ironic seeming i had never even heard of ketamine when i first tried weed
    of course i was 14
    but ya i've only done special k when its in e pills
    kinda weird shit

16. I think weed can be a gateway drug for some people and not for others. Some people smoke weed and never try anything else their entire life. Personally weed hasn't made me more interested in any other drugs except it HAS shown me drugs aren't as bad as all the bullshit the media feeds us

17. The problem is that the entire term "gateway drug" is perceived as something very negative.
    There is no way to prove that someone who does harder drugs wouldn't have done so without the influence of marijuana in their life.
    Therefor it's best to steer clear of the term completely.

Sure, people might smoke weed before other drugs. That's probably because a lot of people use it (because it's relatively safe), it's cheap, and is the first illicit drug people are exposed to.

18. k is AWESOME man. get some pure k and snort that stuff. dont do it too often though cause its addictive and it fucks up your brain. LOL i love drugs. but yeah the first illegal drug i tried was k, and it was my gateway drug to weed. ow, my head hurts