Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is lying to a police officer enough probable cause for a search?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Dylan Tokes, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Last night, at around 11 30 PM, i got pulled over by the cops for a loud muffler. I panic sometimes when im in trouble, so when he asked where i was going i said home from work. but i was going the opposite way from my house :/, he then proceeded to say i was lying, and then said he was going to search my car.

I told him 3 times at least, that i do not give him the right to search my car. He said lying to a police officer is enough probable cause, and im standing there telling him over and over that hes not allowed to search my car, and that i know my rights, but he proceeded to anyway WITHOUT my consent.

Well, i end up getting a UPM and now have court in 2 weeks. Is he really allowed to search my car because of a lie? i feel like he disregarded my rights, and when i go to court, i want to know if i have a chance of beating this because of that.

2. #2 Padovan, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2016

3. Unlawful Possesion of Marijuana

4. Wutd u get caught with? I live in Canada but I think he performed an illegal search as far as I know a lie is not probable cause for search. Good luck bro fight it no matter what. I got pulled over speeding burning a j on the way to work, I was wrkin 16+ hours a day and was so out of it. Just take it like a man dnt stress about it and get a lawyer it's well worth it.

5. a bong, 2 pipes, and a few old bags with no marijuana in them.

6. is a lawyer really worth it? my friend says if i lose, i only have to pay like a $150 dollar fine, although im pretty sure it would go on my record.

7. Lying about something like your name or DOB can get you arrested for obstruction. What you did does not give him the right to legally search your vehicle unless he had probable cause otherwise. He probably saw that you were nervous and decided to search within your wingspan in the vehicle for "officer safety." Keep stuff you don't want found in the trunk, police can't search your trunk without a warrant or impounding your vehicle.

8. All my stuff was in my trunk, and i told him numerous times i did not authorize a search, but he looked in my car and trunk anyway

9. lock your trunk they need a search warrent then and what state are you in?

10. I live in upstate NY. and it was locked, but he opened it with the lever from the inside of the car, even after i told him i did not give him consent. You guys think i can get this thrown out?

11. Seems like you should be good.. but he probably wouldnt have done if he didnt think he was good to go. Cops can do tons of shit. Good luck to you, and remember.. its a small charge.. not saying it doesnt suck, but it could be worse. Good job keeping things in your trunk, good job refusing the search, you did everything write other then lying, but he everyone fucks up especially under pressure.

12. Did he find actual bud or just the pipes/bags? Shouldn't it just be a paraphernalia charge?

13. You'll do better next time sport.

Just go to court and keep us updated!

14. Fuck the police.

15. will do

16. Lawyers well worth it, is it really worth taking the chance of it being on your record everytime u try and get a job, or say you wanna come over to beautiful Canada. I got busted got a lawyer and I'm still scared of the man at the border with the rubber gloves. And I did the adult diversion thing. I ended up payin 1500 with the 200$ donation to the animal hospital I had to make.

17. Lying to police is a crime in and of itself. You either tell the truth or say nothing at all.

18. Gotta lock the keys in the car when they try that supercop shit.

19. #19 blkarmphoenix, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Fuck the ignorant.

20. Well, I know that near where I live, there was a cop a few years ago who pulled over a car for "suspicious activity" (ie they were all blacks) and he told them he had probable cause to search them.
    When he did search them, he found some buds (not a lot, I don't think) and took them to court.
    In the end, it was thrown out because the cop didn't have any real probable cause.

tl;dr - You might get lucky and have it thrown out ;D