Is life Constant?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Oddyball, Jan 24, 2010.

1. I believe so. It's hard for me, Chris, to think that there are 7 Billion people on this planet, and hundreds of thousands die and are born each day; and this has been happening, not just with people, but with ALL life forms for millions upon millions of years. Yet, because of our perceived self, our ID and Ego, we each feel unique - so when the thought of death occurs, we logically assume that the death of our body means the death of our essence (life). I believe, however, that death is merely the end of your trip in this life, but not the end of the cycle of life.

Consciousness, the human ability to perceive consciousness, is a tricky gift. We all assume that each one of us are unique, "special" and individuals. Yet, it's hard to me to believe that we are all SO different from one another. Take, for instance, America. There are roughly 300 Million documented citizens living in America. That's a LOT of people. We have roughly... 200-300 some odd channels on TV, and we ALL watch the same channels. All 300 million of us go to the same malls, get sick from the same diseases and feel the same emotions. We aren't all so different from one another. So, when I think about death, I revert back to before birth. Before my existence, billions of years passed with trillions upon trillions of life-forms coming and going - events occurring and re-occurring. Yet, my 24 years on this earth is MY story, and yours is your story.

So I believe, fundamentally, that reality (the conscious mind) may be all connected in a manner which we do not understand. They say that the human brain processes roughly 30GB of information a day. Some scientists argue that the human brain simply is not large enough to house all of the information that we intake. I've read some theories that our brains may act like radio receivers, and our conscious self is actually somewhere else in this universe. I mean think about the Universe... think about how Life has formed from the SAME matter that the universe consists of. It's like Skynet - the machine, the ... material of the universe has become SELF AWARE (life). So, my opinion stands that death is simply the end of this life you inhabit, and that death in itself is a re-birth of ALL life, connected. We may all possibility be sharing the same life energy which permeates from one place deep in the cosmos.

I have more theories on this subject, but its 1:30 and the beach is calling. Later guys!.

2. I will reflect on this a bit later, but I agree that life is constant. A constant flow of matter moving endlessly through a perceived reality designated as... time? I suppose that is how we track our movements.

When I took LSD, I realized that the life force is a steady stream of energy, changing and being changed by every external interaction with our surrounding environments. Amazing. It is all so subjective.

:smoke:

3. Definitely going to follow this thread for later after I smoke a few bowls. I'm ready to have some deep conversations about this mind-tripping topic!
    Don't you love having these thoughts under the influence? You feel like you've stumbled upon something ground-breaking. But yea, will continue later.

4. I know exactly what you mean. To me it feels as if the human race is one constant life. Like in the book Enders Game the alien race they were fighting was one sentient mind, crazy.

But when you die though, everything else dies. Its subjectively equivalent to the end of the world :(

5. You misunderstand. We consume 34gb of media a day. All they did was average out how much video, audio, and text we encounter each day. If all you did today was watch a movie, thats about 4gb.

Does anyone have any reliable citations for this?

6. Awesome theory man.

7. prolly not its just a theory, i don't believe it though. Our minds are so complex and advanced, and HUGE compared to other forms of life, especially if you consider all the surface are of the brain. The brain is about 233 to 465 square inches (1,500 to 2,000 cm2), which is about the size of one to two pages of a newspaper. To fit this surface area within the skull, the cortex is folded. Crazy shit, thats just the surface area!

8. pretty cool to think about like OP said i got to get stoned n come back:)

9. I read this theory on the Near Death Experience Research website.

I believe I read about this subject on this page:

Dreams, NDE, Reality

But the other articles are fascinating, as well. Some argue that the release of DMT is responsible for these Near Death accounts, however I'm not buying into that theory 100% because it's impossible to prove what death is like, because those who stay dead can't tell us. Maybe these people who come back after cardiac arrests DID see something and it isn't due to a chemical reaction in the brain; or maybe not. It sure is interesting though.

10. Yeah, I read in this book written by this man that all of your past memories and thoughts are constantly being sent through your brain but there is a part of your brain that filters it all out so you don't go insane. He actually writes that he believes that psychedelic drugs stops (or slows) the filter so more of the thoughts and memories are able to be perceived. While the book is obviously based around Jewish thought, it's really a great philosophical and deep thinking read. I recommend you read it.

11. Very interesting. :)

12. #12 Oddyball, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2010
    To touch on this a bit more, I trip out on this kind of stuff when I'm sober, too. Last week my grandmother passed away at the age of 83 - and this is one of the first deaths in my life which hit's home very closely. And, I think my mind is cataloging my memories now as a way to cope with her death. I haven't cried, yet I continue to think about her, and her life and how she is no longer... alive. And then I get comfort by thinking about how I never asked to be born. Before my birth there was nothing. I felt no pain, I felt no time, I felt nothing because I did not exist.

But, to think about the purpose of this life kind of... helps me feel comfort in that maybe, just maybe life is the point. I was watching 1000 ways to die on spike a few weeks back and they were running a segment about a race car driver who crashed and died 3 times in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. He did survive, and in the interview what he said really hit home to me. He said, "I died 3 times on the way to the hospital, and everyone asks me what it was like. All I have to say is that dying is the easiest thing I've ever done, living life is the hard part."

And then it hit me - maybe, just maybe living is the point to all of this. It's human nature to constantly look for answers, because we have the ability to be curious, unlike other animals. Our brains have evolved enough for us to realize that life does end, and on a fundamental HUMAN level, it scares us. I can't speak for animals, although we do see that they recognize death, we might never know if they fear death; or even question their own existence. We seem to be the only life-forms which understand the beginning and end.

I think that we are born to grow, and to be. We are born to exist, and become who were are by the way our environment and people in our lives mold us. If there were only 5 people alive from your birth to your death, you would NOT be the same person. We are only who we are because of how we have been raised, taught, and treated. When I was 5 I didn't ever think about anyone but myself. And that's normal for children. However, as I've aged I've become ME. My brain has formed, and so has my perceived self. Maybe, when we pass away our life energy begins on another one of the TRILLIONS of planets in our universe. In the last 100 years we have made HUGE steps in understanding our place among the stars, and it's infinitesimal compared to the size of our reality (universe).

The Earth is a spec of nothing in a vast sea of gas, matter and space. So - of course there is so much that we don't know, but still - there is a lot that we do know, which we can use to help us come to an understanding of why our species are here, and what purpose we have other than fucking, eating, blazing and shitting. I mean - come on guys. Think about the universe. I know that it's easy to look in the night sky and see a handful of stars and think that that is all there is. But, LOL, no, it's not. Over the last 20 years, the Hubble space telescope as shown us amazing photos of how big our universe actually is. 48 Billion light years across.

That is how big our .... everything, is across. Watch this video and maybe it will spark some curiosity in your mind and give you a sense of togetherness with everyone. Because, although we all may be alone in our own minds, without one another's influence, love and presence, you nor I would exist. Maybe we are all more connected than we want to believe we are.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcBV-cXVWFw]YouTube - The Hubble Deep Field: The Most Important Image Ever Taken[/ame]

13. I've seen this, as well as read articles about Elephants burying the bones of loved ones. That's not my point. My point was that we don't know if animals fear death, if they understand that it is the end, like we think it is. I'm not one who belittles animals perception, hell I believe they can sense more than we can. Take a look at cases in which animals go crazy hours before earthquakes and tsunami's occur. I'm not arguing that animals don't understand death, or feel it - I'm merely stating that we don't know if they perceive death in the same manner that we do.

And every time I see that picture, I wonder if they may have been standing there thinking "where are you taking my friend." We don't REALLY know if they understand that the chimp is dead, gone, caput. But, I know that they do, it's just that picture doesn't really PROVE anything, it merely shows that they congregated around their friend. Wouldn't you if someone was taking away your family/friend?

14. Why do you assume everyone perceives death the same way that you do?

15. Oh, so you're saying that there are other perceptions of death other than your body dying, and soul either going somewhere else, coming back to earth, or all together disappearing? Because, I've lived on this planet for 24 years, and those are about the only theories/explanations which I've heard. Unless you perceive it completely different, you probably know that your life (in the body you inhabit) will someday end and I know that you wonder what will happen. If not, you wouldn't have clicked on my thread.

16. So I'm high right now, and you all are on the subject of life, and i think i know how death is and heaven is. You know normally when you go to sleep your conscious of it, and you don't like it much, well that would suck to be normally sleeping for eternity. But i think that dying and going to heaven is probably like high sleeping, or sleeping when you're high. Cause when you sleep when you're high and its awesome and your not conscious to the fact that your sleeping, like you cant tell whether you are or not. Maybe dying is literally like sleeping, except high sleeping cause maybe the amount of endorphins sent to the brain right before death. So it would be like the equivalent of sleeping high. But it's forever. It'd be sweeet.

17. I think humans place too much importance on their own existence. Why is a human life different to a chimp, an elephant or bacteria?
    Essentially I don't think it is I think life is life and what you make of it is down to the hardware (body) you end up with and a large dose of luck. I don't think there are a bunch of souls waiting to fill embryo's as they are fertilized but that reproduction creates new life that then grows to fit the shell it is born into.

We are lucky enough to be humans and as we have grown and learned we've formed an image based on our observations as the dominant species on the planet. Add to this social factors and religious teaching such as God's chosen people, the soul, parents telling you how good/important/cherished you are, school saying you can achieve and so many other things. It makes us feel important and special, more important than other animals because we are dominant, course too important to die and just end and more important than other people because if we are special then they can't be AS special.
    Because we are human we create a lot of our individual reality in our heads based, as adults at least, on what we choose to put in there, so conspiracy theorists come up with more complex conspiracies and theologians try to understand the mind of god.

I remember in my 20's thinking I'd be dead by the time I was 40, I just couldn't see past that age for some reason (probably because if I'd have carried on like I was I would be dead;)) I have 3 years to go till my 40th now and hope to still be active in my 70's.
    So I guess no I don't think life is constant, I think you die and that's it game over so live life as you WANT to live it not how you are told to and be happy, it's all there really is.

18. ? constant ?

I dont watch television channels much at all
    I feel well and have been well for a while

watching the same television and t such allowing you to fit into the 'norm' (perhaps normal distribution curve) is what allows such a large amount of people to fit in 'america'

this idea is the result of putting much attention toward computer
    we are different from computer

I believe I am relatively ignorant of 'beofre' this current existence
    and i believe you probably are as well

19. wake up in your bed like nothing ever happend