Is legalization really up for debate?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by r r, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Why is it that I consistantly hear our "open minded" leaders of this great country (USA) openly say that it is time for decriminilization/legalization to be up for debate, but when the words Cannabis Legalization are uttered within other venues the political response is either pot head humor or an awkward silence with a few mutterings of reefer madness???

If this topic is truly up for debate then why are the anti-legalization powers that be not jumping on each and every media release which identifies scientific evidence of very high potential and very low harm from this incredible plant???

I just watched this documentary and am blown away that Docters and Scientist are not flooding congress with their findings and that the ATF is not in the process of migrating to ATCF....
    http://www.novamov.com/video/sl4w59htf1yiz

2. I think your onto something mate.

The real problem i think is that very few politicians actually have the balls to stand up for what they want. As we all know they will say whatever it takes to get a vote but when it comes down to it they wont fight for legalization because there scared to lose there ridiculous income.

3. I don't see why someone like Ron Paul can't make a bill that officially asks president obama to commission an investigative committee to look at marijuana, much like nixon had done. Only this time I think the American public might not let him get away with ignoring it.

4. Politics is a very complicated game, and in the end that's all it really is to them. In order to run for any position in politics you better have at least 500k if you even want your name considered up for a spot, most of the time our "leaders" depend on donations from corporations, city council members trying to get up the ladder themselves, well whoever they don't really care where it's from, as long as they're paid. So now that they're happy they need to continue to make their source happy, with the new power they gained. It may seem illogical to keep it illegal since there are soooo many uses for it, (& they know it...they re-legalized it twice during two separate wars because it helped the economy, then banned it again once they were finished invading), but it's profitable. Think about it, if weed were legal they would be able to tax it but at how much? 20 bucks a gram with sales tax? They'd make a lot just on that alone, but it wouldn't really make people stop dealing. If someone were to be able to sell 1.5 grams at 20 bucks with no sales tax from the crop he grew himself, people would just go to him, without needing a medical card. Regardless of if it's legal or not, it won't stop them from prosecuting people caught with it without a card to the fullest extent. Police get to keep adding to their quota since so many kids do it, and now the kid is given a choice of "Rehab" (classes) or jail, shit, even I've been through that bullshit, it's an easy answer to a complicated question. With that many kids considered addicted to marijuana, they also get another point to say it's addicting and bad for us keeping the hypnotized under control and voting against it, netting them more "donations" but this time from the Chief of Police. It's a fine tuned machine but people are becoming more aware of it's uses, and it will start being legal in more and more states, but they've probably already prepared for that as well.

5. With all the science that is out there, it makes no sense at all why it remains illegal.
    Its at the point where the majority people know the plant is harmless. The Governement knows its harmless. The governement knows we know its harmless, but at confrontation the response seems to be "Prove it, and when you do maybe we will have the IRS check out your taxes".

6. I personally think that at this point, they would face too much criticism and embarrassment if after all these years "fighting" the war on drugs they decided to pull mj out of the ring. ESPECIALLY after the feds kept busting shops in CA. Weed is like a scape goat to them, remember Operation Pipe Dreams? When they used over 12 million dollars to send an army in the wee hours of the morn to bust down Tommy Chong's door because he was manufacturing bongs, even though the way it went down was entrapment. It's a whole fucked up system that goes deeper than you could even imagine.

7. I hate uneducated people that talk about how it should stay illegal. "it gives you cancer, it fries your brain and eventually will kill you, it's a gateway drug, etc." I hate our government as well. But as always, it's about money.

8. Um, just so you know. Congressman Polis is drafting a bill to submit to congress soon to legalize it federally. here is the link if you want to read about it.

9. WOW...I had not seen this.... Great read....
    thanks man!

10. Point 1: Everyone basically is aware of the fact that Cannabis should be legal. But if any politician takes a stand for it, they will get bashed into next week, and the number one rule of politics is get reelected at all cost. They (politicians) are afraid to take this leap for fear of not getting reelected.

Point 2: There is just too much at stake for a lot of people. Too many people are making money off it being illegal. Pharm companies, alcohol companies, paper comps., cotton growers, oil producers, police, DEA, prison system, court system, politicians themselves getting kickbacks, and finally TAXES from all of the above. Too many people lose out on money. Can the market accommodate the change? Not yet.