Is it wrong to make students wear their IDs around their necks?

Discussion in 'General' started by Luvs2splooj, May 15, 2012.

1. A kid I work with has his school ID on one of those cloth strap things people put their keys or w/e onto.(look like this http://www.valtra.us/images/avain_hihna.jpg)

He said that at his high school the students have to wear them around their necks all the time. This shocked me a little bit. We always had school IDs but we weren't forced to wear them or anything.
    Just seems a little extreme. And they get in school suspension if they don't wear it.

I don't necessarily see harm in this but I can't quite put my finger on why I think it's wrong.

2. Im sure the school has a logical reason for this....but then again probably not lol.

3. I forget peoples names all the time this would have been golden during my high school years...fuck

4. I think its to identify anyone that might be a threat to the school. "Terrorists" basically. At least that's what he hinted at.

5. During my last years in high school they implemented this in my school. At the time I thought it was stupid but now that I think about it I can see why they did it. On a few occasions we had random people walk in off the street and cause problems, with the Id's it was easy to tell who was a student and who was not. Eventually we were just required to keep them on our person at all times, not around our neck. I think having to keep it on a lanyard is just a bit excessive.

6. It's basically used to ensure that everyone in the school is suppose to be there, and if something does go wrong you can easily grab the kids lanyard to see who it is.

I think its a horrible rule. I hate the idea that I am a bunch of numbers to people such as the use of the Social Security number, but I don't think I'll have much of an opportunity to change the system :)

7. I dont really care because im not in high school, but i think in a sense its preety lame.. But theres many pluses to them wearing it on there necks. But it should b a choice weather or not they should wanna wear there id's on there necks.:3

8. Depends on the purpose..."Wrong" is an "Eye of the beholder" type of thing, Jimmy down the street might like hookers but Bob and Jane two houses down are absolutely disgusted.

I don't really care, it is kind of useless though...I can't see it accomplishin' a whole lot of fuck all.:cool:

9. Seems like more useless control put on the masses.

10. I remember we had to wear these. It was pretty ridiculous. I went back to my high school after three years to get a copy of my transcript and it was like a fuckin prison.

11. Its so the staff knows they go to the school. at least in my (old) high school district they started making students do this my senior year because there were problems with kids from one school going to the other and making trouble.

12. my high school made us wear our IDs around our necks. we used to have to pay for them if we lost them or whatever too. i owed my school like 12 dollars for IDs and never paid them back. told them to fuck off.

13. Are you guys serious? :eek:

Hearing about all that shit makes my old high school seem like the wild west...

14. Its probably a larger school where this just makes it easier to pick out who belongs in the school and is a student and who isn't. I'm sure it would seem pretty lame at first but I bet they get used to it fast, its better than wearing a uniform. Its high school, at that age you don't really have a choice but to be told what to do by adults.

15. Well we had uniforms at our school so that's how they found out who went where

16. Personally I think many highshcool students should be fitted with shock collars.

17. My high school made us were them and if you didn't have one you either had to pay $1 for a temp that you could only use for 1 day or you would get an afterschool.

It was bullshit cause its hot as fuck in Louisiana and humid so they made everyone sit on the bleachers in the sun for an hour. People would justleave and get suspended cause they wouldn't let us have water.

18. I was never forced to wear them around my neck in high school,but this explanation seems logical..
    Although as OP said,suspension for not wearing them? Now that seems a little extreme.

It's like saying "Hey you're a student but we can't confirm that so just in case..Don't come to school for a week".

19. Yeah I had to wear them at my high school too. I thought it was bullshit back then and still do. They already had a gate around the school and cameras everywhere. It looked more like a fucking prison than a school.

20. haha yeah same here man. after 3 detentions we'd get an in-school suspension too. got to sit in a room with no windows for 3 days over IDs, what the fuck?