Is it worth growing MJ in the US?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by nuggaboo, Sep 10, 2009.

1. I was just reading the max sentences for growing/selling mj in Cali where i live. Shit is fucked up.. 5 years for under 100 plants and a year and a half for selling a few grams to a kid. I then read an article immediately after saying that in Canada people who own busted grow-ops routinely get acquitted by juries or serve less than half their terms on a regular basis...

So my question to you blades is, is it worth growing mj on a decent scale on the US when you could grow in Canada and smuggle it over?

I was careful not to use the word "commercial" in this post. That word tends to be frowned upon quite a bit on this forum. Also I have lurked on the growing section of this site for the past 6-8 months just about every day learning something new. Today i decided to stop lurking and join this wonderful community officially :)

2. I knew i was going to get that... Omg where do you think the weed you buy comes from? The moon? "loving caregivers" no.. If its not mexi-schwagg or outdoor regs its from an indoor grow op pumping that shit out every 2months. using advanced nutes, clones and sog. I don't understand why people here don't understand that.

3. Dude, EVERYBODY understands those facts ... Discussing ANYTHING illegal beyond growing pot is usually not welcome on pot cultivation sites. BTW: When the feds catch you lugging those hockey bags over the border, you'll likely only do 18 months.

sinc.
    SlackerBee

4. You're from California. You're allowed to grow MMJ for personal use if you have a doctor's perscription for using canabis to treat a medical condition. However, there is a limit to how much you can legally grow with a perscription. Hope this helps.

5. i would postulate that if legal medical growing in a med state wasn't an option, then one could relocate to a more decriminalized state (instead of all the way to Canada adding border crosses - yuck!) to have less consequences if caught.

For example, in my state ALL mariuana crimes are a 5th degree controlled substance crime, which is one of the lowest severity crimes there is and even for people with lengthy criminal histories it still carries a presumptive stay of execution - meaning probation and 1-1.5 years over one's head, versus any prison time (of course, the law still reads 5 years as MAX, but other laws dictate that a guidelines grid MUST be followed and for a first time offender that's probation with a year and a day over your head).

You would probably still want to stay under the federal 100 plant limit or whatever it is these days before it goes from state to federal.

6. #7 chiefton8, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2009
    dude, it's not about whether people understand where their weed comes from or not. no one is that naive. the reason why it is frowned on here at GC is because discussion of commercial growing, selling, distributing, smuggling, etc. catches the eye of law enforcement very quickly. law enforment agencies in the US aren't all that interested in spending thousands of man hours in an international investigation to bust your average joe who's buying 1/8ths or quarter ounces, or the guy who has a closet grow for personal consumption, etc. but when someone says they want to have a 1000 plant grow op, smuggle it across borders, sell it to as many people as possible, and start taking orders for it on GC, that is something the authorities will raise an eyebrow at to say the least. it's all about ensuring a moderate level of legal safety for those who do like to post on here. i wasn't around when Overgrow was around, but, as I understand it, this is exactly what happened to them. if the admins started allowing talk about commercial grow operations, distribution and hook-ups, I'd be out of here like a boner in sweatpants.

7. I haven't bought weed in a very long time, which brings me to the answer to your question -- yes it's worth it if you don't get caught, and no it isn't worth it if you do get caught. This may seem like a smug answer but really it's not -- if you can maintain a totally stealth grow from beginning to end of a small number of plants for personal use then the risk is very low, even where I'm located (and the penalties here are way stiffer than in Cali...).

It's about risk, and if you can't keep it stealth and otherwise take risks (like selling) then you are gambling your future.

8. holy shit, I was drinking water when I read that, now my shiny new monitor is wet, and I got water through my nose...+rep

9. I hate to quote my own sig but...

Don't tell, don't smell, don't sell, and you got jack shit to worry about. Break any of those three rules and no, it is not worth it.

GL!

10. I'm with ya and toastybiz on this one. Growing kicks ass you get superior quality and more of it and not to mention the extracts you can get as well like hash. The penalties are harsh every where and if you play it safe you will not have to worry about those. Having a grow is as safe as having a bong, if you don't tell or show anyone, will anyone know you have it?? When I think about having to go on the open market for weed, I cringe just because it just isn't same as your own herb that you put the love into.