Is It Weird That I Pay For My Friends?

Discussion in 'General' started by ChangeWeedLaws, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My school is pretty poor. Most of the kids who go here live in the projects.

I'm not rich but i make a lot of money for my age. Way more then any of my friends. More then some of their parents lol.

So when my friends don't have money (some literally never have a dime) i pay for them. I'll buy them a pack of cookies or something from the store daily. When we go to the movies or parties i'll pay for them to get in. And if i'm chilling and someone asks me to borrow a few dollars for something i'll give it to them.

I also smoke them out a lot (smoke pretty much everyone out) because i usually buy in bulk.

But one of my new friends hwo is pretty rich says i should stop hanging out with them. He said theyre just holding me back and only hang around to leach off of my cash. He says i shouldn't buy them anything and I should only hangout with him and his friends on the weekends cuz they can afford to do fun stuff and they won't expect me to pay.

Idk. I always felt like it was cool to share with my friends. A lot of these guys i've hungout with even when  i was a dead broke. Opinions?

2. youre definitely a good person for helping out your friends. they will start using you tho and expecting things so i wouldn't do it all the time

we can sit in a distant haze and watch rain clouds pour thoughts of greatness and help our troubles sail real far away.

3. Doesn't hurt to do nice things for people as long as they appreciate it. Doesn't hurt to go hang out with people you don't have to pay for. With me and a couple friends we just sorta do things for each other, my one buddy will find weed for a great price for the area and do very quality work on the house for good prices. Another will do whatever he can for you basically, even give you free weed and edibles. Of course I return the favor to each by taking them shooting and letting them use my ammo, or for one buddy who has it kind rough I will pay for the food sometimes. Or even getting him a side job or finding work for him to give to his uncle and make a finder's fee off of. My one friend makes 6 figures a year so taking him shooting is the only thing he will let me do usually. So my advice is simply, make sure your kindness is at least appreciated or else why bother. But also go have a little fun with people who can afford to have fun, it is enjoyable.

4. tough spot but ima make this very simple and clear for you. it is a good and honorable and noble thing to pay for your friends. it shows that you care and are not just friends for what they have. now if they get used to you paying for everything they will eventually start using you whether or not they intend to. your other "wealthy" friend might be right to an extent but i don't think you should forget your old "broke" friends just because you got money and they don't. my opinion just tell them straight up to start getting that money and start pitching in for your adventures cuz you can't keep on paying for everything. now if you like these people enough and really dont mind paying for your time together then i dont see the problem, but just make it clear that you pitch in a lot for them and if YOU "feel" like they're starting to use you just for the cash then say fuck you and start partying with your rich friends. hope it helped. i understand both sides of this situation pretty well

5. It's fine I've done it plenty of times.  Just be sure they're real, loyal friends who don't just use you.  I only pay for really close friends who've had my back and done plenty of things for me.  True friends never ask for things in return, and always help each other out when possible.

6. No offense at all OP, but this sounds like something from a movie haha

--We're off to the witch, we may never never never come home, but the magic that we'll feel will last a lifetime!--

7. I'm the same way with some of my friends for that reason too (they're poor). I started being too generous to the wrong people where they'd take advantage of me (if they had money or whatever but wanted more they would still ask me) but some of my true friends find a way to pay the favour back even if it's not money & I honestly appreciate that.

8. If they would still hang around when you had no money then there's nothing to worry about as long as you're not ending up with no money because of them!

You're just being a good friend, the problem is that people tend to take things for granted so you lending them £10 one week will end up £20 the next because they start to expect that it's okay.

9. You need to figure out if they are true friends or if they actually are just mooching.

Odd are some of them are mooches and wouldn't lend you helping hand but who knows.

Figure out some type of plan to sort the mooches from the real friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. You're the wallet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. #11 Heroic Dose, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
    if its worth it to you, realize money is nothing. all it does is enable pleasure. if sharing with your friends brings pleasure, great. share away. do they DEMAND free stuff, or are they simply too poor to reciprocate?

if you have a loyal friend that always has your back, is it not worth some cookies?

12. Unfortunately you guys won't be friends for too long.  As has been said they will start to take you for granted and start resenting the fact you have more than they do and you will start to feel a bit superior. That's the reason rich and poor don't really mix except in rare cases.  It can't be helped but keep trying, just be aware of what could happen and don't be taken for a sucker.

13. #13 psychoperson25, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
    I have a similar situation with my closest friends. Sometimes it sucks, but you gotta limit the amount you buy. So they realize they need to pitch in every now and then as well. I'm sure they come across money here or there. Just ask them if they can chip in a bit when you buy a sack so they are basically paying for part of your habit and everyone's fun since you usually have the bud, If they can't afford it just do what you'd usually do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.