Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is it true that 5 leaf plants are always male and 7 leaf plants are always female?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Jne_Uwambe, Jul 17, 2009.

1. The title explains the question pretty well.

2. The answer is no.

3. Cannabis has 9 leaves..

4. From seed of both sexes it will start with 1 leaf and as it gets older will continue adding more leaves in odd numbers. The first set (other than the round ones) will have 1 leaf and the second set will have 3. From there they will go on to mostly 5 and 7 and if it gets old enough will grow 9 and I assume more although I've never seen an 11 fingered leaf.

5. #6 oldskoolgrower, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2009

No...

EDIT:

Also no...it can range from 5 to 11 leaves or rarely even more. It's always an odd number though.

EDITED EDIT: Actually it's all one leaf with a number of veins, but no need to get technical.

6. it is possible to have even numbered leaves even but its more of a defect than it is a quality.

7. Where did you get that from? It's in marijuana's genetics to have odd numbered leaves. In order for it to not have an odd number there would need to be a genetic mutation, which would be highly unlikely. And also even more unlikely that that plant would develop at that point.

8. son ive seen a 6 leafed marijuana leaf before, just like a normal one exept those little leafs at the end that like point inward towards the stem there was onlyu 1 of those, idk if it was a mutant or if it just didnt start growing yet but it only had 6 leafs

9. ^Probably was underdevolped.

Either way, could be. I thought he was refering to 6 symmetricaly divided leaves. Or veins according to OSG.

10. #11 Pswingset, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2009
    To the original poster, no, that's not true, as everyone else has said.

The leaves on my plants, which is a sativa called Psicodelica from Sweet Seeds, has lots of 5-, 7-, 9-, 11-point, and even a few even-numbered leaves. Most of the ones that are even-numbered I assume are where I've damaged small leaf sets when touching them, training them, etc, as they are not symmetrical, but usually have one dominate center leaf and one less on a side. They never look much different than the other leaves, either. The only way to know the sex of your plants is to flower them and look for pistils or stamen.

11. /thread. I wish it was as easy as looking at the number of leaves...

12. I had a plant that grew 4 leaves on like half the plant then the as it went up it started to get bigger it got 5 then 7 then 9.

13. look for the little sacks thats when you'll forsure know hopefully they didnt do there thing already ha

14. From what i know 5 leaves is rudelis or whatever strain 7 leaves in indica and 9 and up usualy sativa but uts weird my more developed leaves have 7 and others on same plant habe 5 and dont look like more is coming

15. :eek::rolleyes:

The number of leaflets on the leaf have nothing to do with the species of the plant whether it is indica, sativa or ruderallis. All species can have multiple leaflets depending upon the age and health of the plant.

PW

16. This thread is ancient.