Is it too late for me to learn guitar?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by smalls5791, Jul 19, 2009.

1. I'm not musically inclined at all. I can keep a beat on the drums, I can play the keys pretty well. The guitar is something that i've only messed around with for minutes at a time. I"m interested in learning but did I wait too long?

2. Its never too late to learn anything.

If you can play the keyboard decently then you should have no problem getting the hang of the guitar.

3. never too late man definitely not... go for it!!

guitar is something that you never stop learning too, its awesome mate i think you should just go for it , definitely not left it too late you can pick it up at any age you want

4. If you can keep a beat and play keys then you are a lot more "musically inclined" than most people.

go for it man, never too late to learn something new.

5. Go for it =]
    It never hurts to try, and knowing notes on a keyboard/piano is like knowing latin. You can learn any language in the music world if you can read piano music.

6. That's what I always thought. But, I'm doing it anyway. Regardless if it is a little more difficult to learn the guitar later in life, that doesn't make it any less fun... maybe even a little more rewarding when you start learning somethings.

I actually just started a blog a couple weeks ago primarily for people who are just starting to learn the guitar later in life. That way you can see what someone else is going through.

Jeff

http://nevertoolateguitar.com

7. I tried to learn to play guitar, but my fingers couldn't handle it...they blistered all to hell....I couldn't stick it out long enough for them to get calloused

8. man, your never too old to learn an instrument, so long as you apply yourself, and the body parts needed still function :smoking:

9. Definitely not too late. If you can play keys and can keep a beat - it means you at least somewhat understand music theory, and have rhythm - which is really all you need to start playin guitar - just pick one up, and start lookin up tabs online (often innacurate but a great way to start learning)

10. Well you never told us your age or anything. Your prime learning years are teenage, but it's never too late to pick up an instrument!

Do it. You will NOT regret it. Playing and writing music is borderline better than being high. And the combination is euphoric.

11. go out and do it man dont waste time wondering about it or asking us...go out and get some lessons you'll love it

12. dude its never too late...

i mean, you'll have to invest like a year or two into it before you start getting really good.. but better now then never

13. Everyone has done a great job answering so far. If you stay devoted to it you will get the hang of it. Learn the basic chords and scales. Then get tabs online and start learning basic songs. It may be challenging in the beginning but if you stick with it you will have a nice little relaxing hobby to get away from it all.

14. Dude, it's never too late for anything! You should definitely learn guitar. You will be so happy that you did. The first couple of months will suck ass cause everything with your fingers may feel awkward and uncomfortable. Just learn a couple of your favorite songs that have different rhythms from each other and you'll be shreddin' in no time.