is it selfish to take your own life?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by fracturtle, Sep 6, 2009.

1. some would argue it's selfish for someone to use guilt as a means to keep you here.

2. You have to ask yourself that.
    Selfishness is in the eye of the beholder.

So many reasons to do such a thing..you have to decide for yourself whether it is selfish or not

3. if ur a peice of shit, its not selfish, charitable rather.

however, if u are highly valuable to the human race, its selfish
    [​IMG]

4. I believe that most people who commit suicide are cowards and selfish, but that is just my opinion.

5. Depends on the situation. I know a guy who commited suicide after driving drunk, killing a guy, and driving away. He couldn't take the guilt. The flip side is that he had a wife and kids that he left behind.

6. #6 Tuk2, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2009
    This question resonates a thousand times in my soul. The intelligent person inside me who experienced suicide and its full effects first hand just last year, who battles with grasping it as a reality every single day...tells me yes. The individual inside of me who I've grown into, tells me no.

Why? Because I believe we're here first and foremost for ourselves. I believe lifes grand design is choice and free will. We all have the ability to decipher our feelings and decide what we want and what we dont. The problem with suicide is its often a product of disillusion. The other problem is, whos to say what is disillusion?

People are so quick to call suicide the ultimate act of a coward. I beg to differ, I think it takes an insanely strong individual to look at death and dive in head first. To pull that trigger knowing this is it. (R.I.P man)

People say suicide just forever hurts those in your life, your family. I know for sure that gaping wound never heals for those you leave behind, but who lives forever?

Part of me says suicide is the wrong decision for every situation. To feel pain is to feel life. To feel life is to feel beauty. The other part of me says theres nothing wrong with jumping to the next great adventure if one chooses so (afterlife, reincarnation, whatever your belief may be) knowing that nothing in this life is promised, and everything is temporary from the beginning. Which goes round and round with why I just said its wrong.

So, Ive arrived at a middle ground. I hope this made sense.

7. #7 relakit3, Sep 6, 2009
    +rep.

8. Thanks a lot, that was difficult for me to write with tears running down my cheeks. Its been on my mind for a very long time. Cant say I dont think about it everyday of my life. Could you please edit my quote in your post, I added a small important bit.

9. No problem. I hope things get better for you.

10. #10 Tuk2, Sep 6, 2009

Thanks buddy, that means a ton.

One of the reasons Im still around is I believe I have a purpose to spread what I know as the truth, in the hopes that knowledge is contagious.

11. I see where you are coming from. I believe that an individual must be strong to take his/her own life not knowing what will come afterwards, but I also believe that it takes an even stronger individual to keep on living his/her life not knowing what will come afterwards despite everything that they have gone through. People who commit suicide can be classified as cowards because they are scared of living on through to the next day, but people who come to the brink of commiting suicide and deciding not to do the latter can also be classified as cowards for being scared to take the plunge into death. I would rather be the coward that decided to live, IMO.

12. Theres a time and theres a place for this. Not now, not here.

13. Thank you.

14. I agree. I don't like bringing rep public but that was some real talk.

I don't think he was saying those who don't follow through are cowards.

Death is an experience no one can explain. That has to be scarier than living, I mean you have been living for the past 18+ years so your kinda used to it. Unless your the kind of person who likes the unknown and is scared of the mundane...

15. I know. I was just stating that the coward card could be played for both hands.

16. Yeah but your way doesn't make sense logically. My argument is that the mundane is more comfortable than the unknown. In this case life is a "safer" choice as opposed to death. Since you disagree would you mind going into why?

17. Here's the deal, the origins of the idea that suicide is a selfish act are based on selfishness. A friend or family member would perceive it as selfish because they have lost someone before they were "meant to go". The person killing themselves feels death is the only way out. Therefore the relative or friends desire for that person to live, is not greater than the suicidal persons need for death. For example:

Is it bad karma for a cat to eat a mouse if it's hungry? Yes, because they cats desire for the flesh of that mouse is not greater than the desire of the mouse to live.

It remains the same in the "Is it selfish to take your own life" argument. However, I'm not defending suicide (nor promoting Karma, despite my personal beliefs) but many people simply can't go on. Their mind is just tired from the stress and pain of Depression, to them it's the only way out.

Suicide is not the only way out, but in that state of mind it is.

18. Exactly. It goes both ways. In one way, it is selfish to do that to your loved ones. Another argument is that it is selfish for your loved ones to do that to you.

19. I don't think its so much 'selfish' as it is more foolish. Think about it for moment; you've been given the opportunity to live, & breathe in this universe. That should be more than enough to keep someone from preforming such a foolish act.

But then there are always those who wanna take the 'shortcut' ;)

20. That's a bit unfair. They are in incredible mental and emotional pain. It's beyond any physical pain you could imagine because you know it's not a physical affliction. I suffer from depression and have fought the thoughts (no rhyme intended) of suicide. I agree this life is one to treasure, but I disagree that these poor souls are taking a shortcut, they can't help it. Depression is a force beyond control.