Is it safe to wire 2 phone chargers, a power strip, and an extension cord into one?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Cataclismic, Jan 29, 2010.

1. In my box I have 2 fans that each run on one phone charger and I have a power strip to hang my lights. It's not very stealth to have all those cords hanging out. I found a tutorial on how to connect them all. I just want to know if it's safe?

2. as long as you arent connecting + with - then it should be fine.

MAKE SURE THAT ZERO BARE WIRE IS EXPOSED!

3. Zero Bare wire?

4. yes. zero percent .

5. Not to sound like a dick but....its only safe if you know what ur doing. Im all for the do-it-urself people and finding the cheapest way to do shit...but electricity is nothing to mess around with. You wire something wrong, or leave bare wire exposed, or whatever, then your just asking for a fire. Your house is not worth some plants. Trust me, I do electrical. Just be safe.

6. lol don't I feel stupid. I thought he meant one of the wires was called the zero bare wire.

7. im not sur what you mean by phone charger, but if its what i think , its low voltage(12v 0r 24v). i would not sl
    plice it into the power strip since it is 120v, but you can plug the phone charger into the power strip if you have a free socket. depending on the miliamps of the fans and the phone charger, you may be able to splice two fans on one charger. shit i got 3 pcfans running off one transformer. gl any other q feel free to ask. you dont want to fry yourself or your house

8. Im working on creating fans like this, got two computer fans, both connected to charger and bare wire surrrounded by this tape I got meant for wires.

I have been leaving them on, just testing whilst in the room to make sure nothing.... strange happens. Seems safe so far, and working very well.

I had to be careful with the wires when covering them up as have a pc grow box ready, but if a bare wire touches the side, I open it up (touching the sides) I presume I would win a darwin award, so playing it very safe.

Can fans overheat or anything? it's 12v phone chargers Im using. Once had a chargable xbox headset, which was left to charge too long and melted, god knows how.

9. i wouldnt worry about the low voltage. i connect those on all the time. basically 12 and 24v will do nothing but tickle if that. if there decent fans they will last a while . you will prob hear them getting old before the die.( usually get louder) you should be fine... just keep the connections dry or you can fry the transformer or trip the breaker

10. Maybe I'm missing something, but if you're saying a bunch of stuff plugged into a power strip isn't stealthy, why not use an extension cord to put the strip where it's not seen?

I think a bunch of wires connected together would catch my eye before a full power strip would... making me curious to go check out the fire hazard at the other end. :D

Maybe I'm not understanding your setup, because I'm not seeing the problem. Plus, from the description of your setup... don't you only have 3 cords coming out of it, 2 chargers & the lights?

Going by that, I'd just have one power strip cord coming out of the box. Then, with that, just plug your phone chargers into two outlets and a timer in another, which you can plug your light strip into.

If you're just talking about running two identical small fans off one charger, splicing them isn't a big deal... but that would still only be reducing 3 cords to 2, when you could just as easily reduce it to one.