Is it safe to plant outside?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Lethargic, Mar 17, 2009.

1. #1 Lethargic, Mar 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2009
    Hey GC,

I ordered some seeds and they arrived yesterday all safe and sound. I am getting really anxious to start germinating them but I need to know if it is even safe to plant the outside. (I will be growing it from seed to bud outside)

I realize it's not May yet, but this is an auto flowering strain I will be using. So Is it safe to start now or should I wait later? (I live in Central Texas if it matters)

Also,

Fox Farms Happy Frog Potting Soil, good or bad? Should I add anything else to their mix?

Thanks,
    -Lethargic

2. Autoflowering plants take about 2 months, so put them out when you have the longest days of light. Do some reserch about that in your area. Can anyone back me up??

3. #3 Overflow, Mar 17, 2009
    I'd say almost definately, just checked out the texas weather and it said around 25 degrees.

Don't plant them directly into the ground, germinate in a dark room using the paper towel method (search button!), then plant into a small pot (or something like a coffee cup would work), once it looks like its outgrown it plant into a large (1 gallon plus) pot.

When i grew my lowryders, i started them out on a window sill for the first 1-2 weeks, make sure that windowsill is in face view of the sun. I was just worried animals could easily step on them and ruin the plant in its early stages.

That potting soil will work fine, try and get some basic nutrients from your local garden centre, it will do wonders for the plant, make sure you don't over do them.

Good luck

4. Thanks for the help / information..

5. Germinate your seeds in soil, keep it warm, 75 to 80F and moist, doesn´t matter if it is dark or not, but as soon as the sprouts appear, Let There Be Light. Don´t use paper towels, they are for noobs who just want to play with their new toy and risk ripping off the fine hairs that appear on the taproot.
    One plant per pot only.

6. #6 champloo, Mar 17, 2009
    Im with cantharis on that.

Whats the point of the paper towel? If it doesnt sprout then you can just use the soil with a new seed.
    Its the natural way, and as soon as the taproot appears it can start growing into the soil :D, not get stuffed in a hole.

Im growing some autos too so im figuring how im going to start them safely outside.
    Im gonna start in jiffy pellets. Any bad reports about those?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks for your support, champloo, +rep to you, Sir. I am trying to get people to reject the silly idea of putting their seeds in paper towels, when they will be putting them in soil anyway - just adds a useless extra step. As I have said, it is the PLAY factor that attracts people (noobs) to the paper towel method, they love to fiddle with their seeds as long as possible. Even if they kill them.

8. yeah I don't like that idea either. Just do it as in Nature.

9. And thanks also for your kind words, Corto - but I have to spread rep around before I can give your good self any more.

10. Alright, so I will be germinating said seeds in the pot instead of a towel. I appreciate the information folks.

Aside from that, in Texas we are recieving a steady 12 hours of sunlight and temps in the mid 60s.

Should I wait or can I start? So anxious.. I guess thats a bad thing ;P

11. Lol its not bad to be anxious, were all anxious haha. But it is bad to let it take over and ruin your grow.

I dont know 60 sounds pretty nice, no frosts right?

12. Yeah it stays warm most of the time.. Maybe a few strange cold nights.. But nothing freezing.