Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is it safe for me to smoke?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by supercurious22, Sep 10, 2015.

1. So let me start off by saying that I have smoked once before, almost 2 years ago...and I had an extremely awful reaction.
    I was with a couple of friends, and I had a couple hits from a joint and then one hit from a pipe. I started to feel high after some time and I felt fine; I was in a relaxed state not stressed out at all or anything like that, when all of the sudden my chest started hurting really bad.

Now I expected some kind of unpleasantness and I ignored it and just sat there trying to think about other things. But after a few minutes, I asked my friend (who was sober at the time because she was going to make sure my first smoke went fine, but has been a smoker for years) to feel my chest to see if my heart was beating fast. She felt my chest and her eyes became HUGE. At this point I still felt okay besides the pain in my chest and was just asking her how to make it go away. She said my heart was beating extremely fast, and at this point you could see it through my shirt. She immediately wanted to call 911; however I really felt fine and didnt want to do that so I kept trying to wait it out.

And then everything became blurry and fuzzy. Slowly I started losing feeling in my hands and feet until I couldnt move at all. My friend was trying to ask me questions and I couldnt speak. So at that point, all my friends were freaked out and called 911. Ambulance arrived and my heart rate clocked in at 311 and increasing. Now let me tell you, I have a heart condition VSD, but I didnt think it would be an issue..because I'm from ca and everyone and their moms smoke and Ive never heard any horror stories. However when the paramedics were informed that I had VSD they started going off on how my friends shouldnt have let me smoke. They were also convinced it was laced with meth, because apparently my body was reacting the way someone typically reacts to a bad batch of meth.

So they cant stabilize me, and I'm rushed to the hospital. I completely just pass out in the ambulance and I wake up 6 hours later in a hospital room. A doctor comes in to tell me that they ran all the tests, and it wasnt laced. They tell me I have a sensitivity to THC and that combined with my heart condition equals my reaction. I was also told had 911 not been called, I would have died.

Needless to say, this is quite a let down. So it's been almost two years..and I'm curious if I can try to smoke again? Was what the doctor said just mumbo jumbo to keep me from trying it again? Or should I seriously not smoke ever again..or maybe try edibles??

2. Dude, I could give you a smart ass answer but I won't.

Nobody here is qualified to tell you what you can do, additionally this forum does not allow discussion of other illicit drugs. I seriously doubt you will be a regular poster here so maybe that is a mute point.

You could have a worse reaction from edibles because it is very hard to judge doses for new users since the time from ingestion to body reaction takes so long. Stories all around about people eating an edible, not feeling anything and taking another and having a very bad day or night.

My advice is listen to your doctor and live longer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Well if you have some sort of sensitivity to THC I doubt edibles would be any better...have a glass of wine and shill somewhere else...

4. Edibles could be worse. Just stay away if a doc said you can't handle it. It's not worth it

5. Mate, smoke some more only if you have a death wish. I'm sorry you can't toke- that's a bummer.

6. Maybe it was laced? And you had a reaction to whatever it was laced with?

7. OP, sounds like you should educate yourself a little more about your heart condition.

VSD itself doesn't cause the symptoms you describe, but from what I found online can be associated with a higher susceptibility to heart arrhythmias.

Heart arrhythmias can be very serious or completely benign (harmless) depending on how and where in the heart they manifest.

They can be triggered many different ways, including stress, athletic activity or even completely unknown causes.

Any episode serious enough that you lost consciousness would be a big concern to me (unless you simply fell asleep due to the THC)

I would advise you to consult with your primary care doctor and see if a visit with a cardiologist is warranted.

Treat this as a general health issue - it has nothing to do with THC.

8. You had a panic attack, and your condition made it worse. If you're very new, once you start to freak out even a little bit a panic attack is nearly inevitable. It usually happens when you consume too much THC too rapidly. I'd recommend using a pipe. After one bowl, give yourself five minutes to gauge how high you are. If you would feel comfortable doubling the high, smoke another. Keep going until you reach the level you want to be at.

Also, check with your doctor. They won't inform the police or anything like that.

Hope this helps you, good luck.