Is It Really That Simple To Make Money With Cannabis?

Discussion in 'General' started by txroy001, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Hello everyone!

I am a single, recent college graduate pursuing my career in graphic design. My plan is to work full time (in the graphic design field) and be able to completely provide for myself. 

However I want to make money on the side (I'd love to knock out this college debt sooner than later). I plan on moving to a state that allows for medicinal/recreational cannabis. I want to put whatever free time I have in to this industry because I have a passion for cannabis.

With so many different areas in the industry (growing, selling, edibles, concentrates, edibles, seeds, security, growing equipment, inventory tracking, etc.) I feel overwhelmed with what specific area to pursue. I'm leaning towards growing because that will always be in demand and I've had two successful grow ops before.

Could it be that easy? I move to let's say Washington. I'll grow 15 medical grade plants that will produce about 3 pounds per month. Dispensaries will buy each pound at $2,500, totaling $7,500. The cost to produce and sustain the plants throughout the year will be around $2,000 per month.

Cannabis stocks would be the best option in the future but with the state of the industry being the way it is right now, I see someone in my situation benefiting the most (and quickest) with growing it.

So having said all that, is making money with cannabis really that easy?

2. Can you do graphic design like photoshop stuff and creating banners and flyers? If so, youll make much more and faster money if you spend that time marketing yourself and getting customers for design work. Then when you can market yourself well to a certain niche maybe spread yourself out to Cannabis industry and start doing promotional items for those companies. Youll get your foot in the door one way or another. 

Its all a process.

3. no, of course its not that easy. dispensaries are businesses working within state law. theres a myriad of regulatory procedures you would need to comply with to satisfy both the state and potential business partners. cannabis is an emerging market so yes there is a lot of opportunity, but dont kid yourself thinking its as easy as showing up in washington. 

4. Drugs pratically sell themselves... go for it... don't stop at weed. Think big.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. With marijuana it takes money to make money, now whether or not you take the legal or illegal route is up to you. If your looking to make quick money without having to worry about the government breathing down your neck with regulations, and you can morally do it, than the illegal route would suit you. It will still take some investment money and a little time to get regular customers but other than the risk of getting caught you can make way more money. Good luck.

Sent from my QMV7A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. #8 txroy001, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
    Do dispensaries only buy from legally licensed growers? I had more of an idea of operating within the gray area of the market. Growing for myself as a patient under law but selling my cannabis to dispensaries wholesale. Also I wouldn't be afraid to sell to friends back home illegally but I'd rather just sell to the dispensaries for the primary source of income.  

7. #9 BiggoH209, Aug 6, 2014
    [quote name="Mr&MrsFormoso" post="20404531" timestamp="1407293405"]With marijuana it takes money to make money, now whether or not you take the legal or illegal route is up to you. If your looking to make quick money without having to worry about the government breathing down your neck with regulations, and you can MORALLY do it, than the illegal route would suit you. It will still take some investment money and a little time to get regular customers but other than the risk of getting caught you can make way more money. Good luck.

There is nothing morally wrong with selling a plant/produce, legal or not.

8. [quote name="BiggoH209" post="20404959" timestamp="1407300006"][quote name="Mr&MrsFormoso" post="20404531" timestamp="1407293405"]With marijuana it takes money to make money, now whether or not you take the legal or illegal route is up to you. If your looking to make quick money without having to worry about the government breathing down your neck with regulations, and you can MORALLY do it, than the illegal route would suit you. It will still take some investment money and a little time to get regular customers but other than the risk of getting caught you can make way more money. Good luck.

There is nothing morally wrong with selling a plant/produce, legal or not.[/quote] For you and me there is nothing morally wrong. But there are people that have a stick up their ass when it comes to selling anything illegally. They look at it as an illegal substance and put it in the same category as selling crack. I mean its not right to do that to good ol' maryjane but if you've ever seen reefer madness you know people aren't always sensible and everyone has their own set of morals good and bad.

9. I'm sure most of them only buy from legal growers just for the fact that the government keeps track of every gram that goes in and out of dispensaries for the fact that even though its legal in the state for medicinal use, its still recognized federally as an illegal drug for some ungodly reason. There's probably a large amount of dispensaries that would love to buy your buds, the only thing is that if they did without you having the proper credentials they are risking they're lively hood.

10. I'm just gonna say it, if you have to post this here, don't go into the business. Entrepreneurship isn't for everyone. A real entrepreneur would never go and ask to be spoonfed information. They go and learn it all themselves.

11. Naw

Sent from my U670C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. #14 bluntfists, Aug 6, 2014
    It isn't that easy. right now there are only 2 states that have legal. the medical states you have to be a resident and have a qualifying condition. not to mention all the hoops you would have to jump through to get a state production license. then you have to find a place to accept the medication or what ever.

Not to mention you would be direct competition with all the "other" people who suddenly got this dream.  You would be better off doing graphic design work for dispensary advertisements or something. Not saying that it is impossible but you need to understand this isn't something to just do on a whim.

13. It depends on the state. California you can grow it and sell it to the dispensary's. New mexico you need a production license. Washington's medical scene is almost dead by now. and Colorado is waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy backed up with people moving there to start a business.

14. I have researched a lot of information on this topic. All the research I've done has been primarily with major news sources but they aren't able to provide the first hand experience I could learn from speaking to people. Being that my state bans cannabis still this is the only way to talk to people who have had this same idea. My goal with this post is to learn from others experiences so I'm not winging it when I move.

15. Graphic design itself can be a good 'side job' to make extra money. An old friend of mine has a full-time job in the field, but then he does more work from home on his own. You'd be better off doing that, I think, and just growing some marijuana for personal use. 

16. You bring up a great point but unfortunately I'm not in a position to change the game since I don't have the money. I know that when inventing something to revolutionize an industry you have to create something that people didn't even know they need until you made it. When I have the capital I will think of those things but for now I need to build the capital in a much simpler way.

17. I think this may be the best way to go. I don't want to shit where I eat. However the industry is booming and it's really hard to not try to get in on it. I have a passion for bud and have been using it for the past decade so I'm still hoping to cash in somewhere.