Is it possible to..

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by hellokitty42, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Does anyone think that it would be possible to find a male from a very hearty strain that needs very low maintenance.. And plant this male out into a field of ditch weed. Then attempt to kill all the ditch weed males when they grow up. Get your male to pollinate the entire ditch weed crop. This ditch weed crop dies and the seeds are sown.. Next year ditch weed re-grows with higher levels of THC?

2. #2 lalamann, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2012
    there is no such thing as "ditch/dirt weed" 95% of the final quality is determined by the enviroment from which it was grown. the other 5% determined by strain usually just kinda changes what the final product LOOKS like (color etc.) Dont get me wrong though, some strains strains WILL produce more THC than others (greenhouse seed co's SLH is a prime example)....if you grow "ditch weed" and put a "high quality" strain male in the same inviroment it will be "ditch weed" as well, and if your looking for a good chance of a male, with STABLE genetics, and very disease resistent, get some mid that is very consistent in quality from bag to bag and use those seeds, the healthiest plants ive ever had have been from bag seed from consistent quality high mid (around here the high mid is usually hermies sold as mid, which also=a higher chance for female, but ALSO a higher chance of hermies)...and while the end product of "baught/high quality" seeds if often SLIGHTLY better, you can turn straight up schwag into High grade headies by just taking a schwag seed and growing it right.(doesnt even take multiple generations, you can go from straight leafy no crystal schwag to all out headies in ONE generation, i have done it) I know this because i have sworn off buying seeds from seed banks completely and now work with consistent bagseed, as it is USUALLY waaaaaay less work and maintenace for a high quality crop. (i.e. never had probs with insect killing em quick, disease, OR mutations)(the only mutation i commonly get with the bagseed i chose is Auto-topping, which is ONLY a good thing)(yes, just like auto-flowering, ATUO-TOPPING DOES exist)

To answer you question, this would be kinda pointless, just go out into said crop when they start showing preflowers and cull ALL the ones with balls, your crop will be MUCH higher quality and FAR more potent, just make sure to get ALL the males, im pretty sure in a windy area one male can polinate multiple acres of females. So even if you were to find a hearty male and replace all the "ditch" males, chances are your end product wont be much better at all....just cull all the males and dont worry about getting a "better" male strain

3. Im more of trying to figure out a way to put THC into naturally growing marijuana. According to many people and threads on this site ditch weed does exist. Its basically wild hemp which has acclimated to the environment.. If us weed smokers could make a plant that has high even decent thc levels and get it to grow naturally... The whole world could be our oyster!

4. #4 lalamann, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2012
    so your saying like wildly growing hemp strains? ok then yes, what your saying would work, but it would take many genrations of doing this before you got a product worth smoking, i thought by "ditch weed" you just meant that shitty smelling, leafy schwag that sooo many people here try to pass off as good weed, but you meant like straight up hemp/headach weed xD....imho its kinda pointless to do so, just start a lil stealth indoor op with some bagseed from some decent mid. but that is my reccomendation, it's up to you:wave:

if i am correct, these "wild" strains usually started, not from hemp, but sativa strains where stoners just left there seeds out in the woods and shit, and they addapted to their surroundings creating the "ruderalis" strains and develpoing auto-flower characteristics to handle winters that came on sooner for sativa strains to handle well, and what your saying i THINK (dont quote me on this but..) is how they developed auto-flowering strains is it not?

i know there is a difference between ruderalis and Hemp, but THC wise they are both still near 0%, so what your saying would work either way, i just think it might take too many generations of plant to be worth your while
    [​IMG]

i think the actuall hemp varieties lean more towards the sativa looking leaf, but 100% ruderalis strains ive seen in person (wildly growing near Beaver Creek near my bother's house, which my dad ties to himself, [believeing he was one of the first to toke up and leave seeds in that area] might be some truth to that, he is in his 60's now xD]) DO have that kinda sativa looking leaf but the short blaedes are tiny and they rarely have more than 5 leaflets (hence the reason i posted that pic...it seems pretty accurate to me, not to mention the wild ones im familiar with never reach more than 3-4 feet bofore they produce these ugly little spikey calluxes and ugly brown [almost pink] hairs that start green instead of white[pretty sure they are old sativas that adapted to ruderalis genes over the last 40 years or so[if my dad is right, i dont think he is, i think it would take longer than that to adapt to autoflowering characteristics, unless the ones that didnt carry the correct genes and only the autoflowers survived...idk, just speculation on my part)

ive thought of taking some clones and trying to breed my own autoflower strains, but local authorities know its there and watch it closely while trying to get rid of it (wont happen in that area, its a small flood plain so tere is no way to get rid of it all, there will always be more popping up the following season)

5. Good weed x hemp = bad weed not good hemp

Autoflowering strains are ruderalis genes not sativa, the root word of ruderalis is Russian (meaning by the side of the road, as it grows commonly by rural roadsides and in irrigation ditches). It is a non photoperiod dependent strain of cannabis that has little to contribute to a cross other than its lack of photoperiod dependency and possibly its short stature. Industrial hemp on the other hand is sativa, and industrial hemp strains are required to have less than 1% THC, neither hemp nor auto genes have anything to contribute when the intent is to produce drug quality in cannabis.

6. #6 lalamann, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2012
    im pretty sure i read in multiple places that Ruderalis plants developed through the accidental "relocation":)smoke:)(could have been birds too depending on how long this would take) of Sativa strains that couldn't usually inhabit cooler areas (or areas farther north or south than where the original sativa was located) where they were relocated to...but some plants had slight genetic variations which allowed them to flower earlier, and in some cases early enough to reproduce in time to create mature seeds, which were then dropped to the ground... and im sure you know how though cannabis seeds can actually be....The following spring they germinate...and grow, but this time more plants carry this genetic anomolly. and so on and so on...over quite a few years this genetic anomolly translates into auto flowering characteristics, as Sativas dont have a natural ability to survive in conditions in which ruderalis does(the genetic anomolly itself being the plant flowering based on age, not light cycle, as the plants came from areas with a 12/12 light cycle year round, that is the key, these were the ones that developed the auto flowering characteristic, because if they hadn't they would have vegged to the point that they could not sutain theselves for any longer) yet it maintains almost 100% of its sativa origin, and it is also officially classified as a Subspecies of Cabbabis Sativa just the same as hemp...but pure ruderalis, while not bearing much of a high, actually has a bit higher percentage THC than its hemp sibling....and its auto-flowering characteristics just make it that much more suitible as a cross candidate than Hemp...hemp is kinda useless for that, because its Highly potent sativa siblings can reach greater hieghts, so it would only reduce yeild AND potency

ant there are quite a few Autoflowers on the market that can EASILY compete with some of the best Photo-dependant varieties around (not better than them, just getting close to the same quality while still maintaining the auto-flowering characteristic

Key: :smoke:=the original carless stoners tossing thier seeds in the woods where they were toking, As we all should know, even though the Europeans brought Hemp to the New World, the ones that came from more tropical areas brought varieties of cannabis along with them...these varieties being suited to a more "modern" tase :smoking:

7. Ok well I didn't realize that most wild hemp strains were ruderalis. And I am about to start another indoor grow.. I have grown about 5 times successfully indoors and one great outdoor grow, along with a current outdoor. Although none of you really said this I think I figured out the answer to my question by reading what you wrote..

So yes it would take many generations to create a wild strain which would have any viable level of THC. But I feel that this would be more or less pointless. Because the genes which are necessary to produce large amounts of THC are NOT the same genes which a plant would need to survive on our wild planet. So even if you were to create a genotype that could do this, after a few generations of leaving it be in the wild it would likely start to revert back to its natural state..

8. 3 - 6 years in controlled electroculture with increasing yields yearly

Let's just say every body's grandady hippy types did spread the gene

Weed is a weed, it adapts and enforces its own evolution to survive.

If it must lose potency and focus on growing in non tropical enviroment, it will do so and it has....its called the auto flower, it was simply brought back indoors bred as it should have with potent crosses between sativa and indica, and selecting the seeds for final tuning and a plant that showed desired growth patterns

The growers that I know locally here in south africa have used the same basics to selecting mother plants that are frost resistant and give multiple harvests outdoors, and all this while resisting temps under 0 celcius.

Once again the electro culture that I mentioned earlier, is just one way of speeding cannabis evolution on from 40 plus years down to 3 - 6 as mentioned

Lol