Is it possible to put a 400w hps in a 2ft x 1.5ft x 3ft tall flowering box

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by iloveto_GROW, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Hello fellow growers!
    I'm building a new grow box which is 2 ft w x 1.5 ft d x 5ft tall and I need some advice on my lighting set up.
    I'm planning on using a 400w hps for the flowering chamber which will only be 2ft w x 1.5ft d x 3ft tall, the top 2ft will be used for . The reason I am using a 400w hps is because I already have one from my previous grow, less cost, and I love HPS POWER(works magic on those buds)! But the problem is I have much less space to deal with now as you can see. So I was planning on purchasing the daystar air cooled 6" hood with the tempered glass shield.

Will this be enough to keep the temperature at a good level? Or should I buy and use a 250w. I was planning on getting the hood because it's cheaper then buying a 250w and could definitely use the hood and 400w if I get more space to grow.

2. Even with the cool tube and good fan running air through the duct, the temps can still get to over 90F with a 400W , but perhaps not so bad if you're in a cool climate.

3. thnx for the reply!
    hmmm.. shit so I shouldn't go with a 400w.. so 250w hps I guess or 150w if I don't want to spend as much.

Whats the avg yield for a 150w and a 250w?
    considering the space a which one would be the ideal system?

4. With proper venting you will be fine with a 400. You could cram a 600 in there but it would be pointless. Make sure you get a real good fan for venting the cooltube and you will be just fine. Duct it straight through, pulling fresh air from one side of the box and blowing it out the other, and vent the room separately with another fan and carbon filter.

5. i would go with led lighting a friend of mine did he got a damn nice yiled out of it

6. I have a 3'x1.5' and im running a 400 with no cooltube, but I have a pretty high CFM fan constantly sucking air outside. So yes definitely possible, but I feel like im on the very upper limit....a 250 would be more suited for me and you I think.

7. A 400w hps shining 55,000 lumens in your space is over 18,000 lumens per sq. ft.! That's not only more lumens than your plants can possibly use but an expensive waste of electricity and hard to keep cool. A 250w would be a better choice imho.

8. Make sure you check out the size of your reflector. I just got a 4oow air cooled 6 inch system and the reflector is 25 3/4 x 12 x 8 H.