Is it possible to plug in a camera to my iPhone and use that as the camera?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by ChiefBuddha, May 15, 2013.

1. I want to get glasses with a built in camera. They're like $50 on amazon. Then I want to plug that into my iPhone and use that as my main camera. So that way I can skype/facetime with what i'm seeing through the glasses rather than using my phone camera. Is this possible at all? Any help would be appreciated!

2. #2 Jumbo, May 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2013
    What glasses? What interface?

Not really, unless you write a bunch of code to an app, and then find a way to interface it with the iphone... 

I dont think you can do that with apples software though, id imagine the only viable option would be jailbreak, and at that it would be a huge pain in the cock. 

I have seen someone interface a OUTPUT, into glasses with a screen, but never inputting a custom camera. 

If you did it you would be the first lol. 

3. Just glancing over this problem, it would seem that a bluetooth-enabled camera would be one way you might be able to hook it up.  Dunno if that's the $50 Amazon option or not.

And with over 800,000 apps now in the app store, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and figure that one of them could map a bluetooth camera into the iPhone's apps and perhaps set it as the default camera device.

4. Good advice. I believe you will need an app to do this and the easiest way would be bluetooth.

One option, if you can not find an app, and I agree with tokin... that there would probably already be one, you may be able to use one of the "build an app" applications or sites. They seem to offer more and more powerful tools and if they have the tool to allow you to receive input from the USB port or the bluetooth bridge - there you go.

5. On ios? :laughing:

Maybe on an android device with some dedicated devs working on it, maybe. Doubtful.

6. I don't think there's any practical solution at the moment, but if you're really set on making this happen, I reckon you could do it way easier than most people here are suggesting. I don't know shit about fuck, but it seems to me that if you were willing to dismantle your ipod a bit and jerryrig it back together, all you'd have to do would be to get a replacement camera like this one http://www.powerbookmedic.com/iPhone-4S-Front-Facing-Camera-p-21255.html]here[/url], and attach it to your glasses.

Then it is a simple problem of extending the wiring and trying to make it all kindasorta fit back together. Or maybe that's not a simple problem at all lol. I dunno.

7. Maybe if you were running android you could get something done but it's a lost cause with crapple.
    [no offense unless you really think highly of it lol sorry] 

8. Glasses with a built in camera? Get you some Google Glass, root them mfers, and make them ios supportable.

9. #9 Ẅest Čoast, May 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2013
    Are you sure the glasses actually show video via lens? I think for $50 they just have a hidden cam that records video and stores it.

10. See that replacement camera? It has a zif type connector with either a 32 pin or 16 pin connector,(i cant really tell if that island block has separate connections, i think it does so its probably 32 pins) 

that means you are going to need to solder and extent 32 pins with about 4-5 feet of wire. thats 32 wires..... even with some 30 gauge kynar wire which is thin as shit, you will not achieve this without a totally fucked phone. you will not fit all those wires and close the phone..... not to mention the soldering skills required which im assuming the OP doesn't have otherwise he would have known this isn't exactly something you are pulling off without a R&D team, endless hours of work and research and a lot of fucked up iphones. 

basically as i already said in my first post, this isnt happening...... but go ahead and doubt me. 

11. Like I said it wouldn't be at all practical, but it's by no means impossible. There are companies you can contract to make any kinda ribbon cables you need, simple as shit. "But go ahead and doubt me." Lmao. 

12. #12 Jumbo, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2013
    lol'd at simple as shit. 

do you know what you are saying? 

sure you can find a company to make something like this, but its going to cost you more than you are thinking. especially just to make a single cable. 

the manufacturing process required for the tightness of these modern ribbon cables is ridiculous and required very expensive machines and a large amount of R&D as i said in my first post. 

good luck finding a company that will make up a single ribbon cable for you to extend a camera out of your phone. and again, where is the ribbon cable coming out of? how is the phone closing without cutting this very microscopic cable in half while trying to press it closed. 

and how exactly do you plan to keep this cable safe once its installed? will need some sort of protection on it and then how is it going to be pocketed? 

not a "very simple" operation anymore.... lol

not saying its impossible, but it's almost impossible to make it practical....