Is it possible to never die?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by mralan, Feb 4, 2016.

1. #81 Cont, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    Bill Hicks has an interesting theory that we are all one conscience experiencing itself subjectively through each individual.
    I'm an agnostic, because i won't admit there is no god, while i highly doubt it. I do however like to think of energy as god. Energy is in everything. I'm transferring energy to buttons by typing on the keyboard. The keyboard is powered with electrical energy. Not the kind of god that you can ever talk to or interact with, with the intent of communication. It just is. Perhaps our conscience is temporary after all? We consume energy, and then we deplete it, less and less each next moment. Then we die. We've slowly given/taken energy for a while and it's gone off elsewhere now.

Withouth discussing the quirks of "knowing", all i know is that i am now, in this moment. What i am experiencing now is the closest i can call real, to my extent of understanding. By that logic, what was doesn't qualify as real, because it is not this exact moment. I can not know that the next moment will be at all. Maybe i'm not in the next moment, and the world i know will vanish with my perception of reality.

I can get lost in philosophy and then realize that i am best off feeling good about what is right now. At peace with what may be or has been.

• Like Like x 4
  2. well if you believe in parallel realities then both occured. In one reality you got hit by the car , and in another you did not . the idea that we live in a multiverse says that everything happens , every choice is made and everything that can happen to you does happen to you , just not all in one reality but in endless versions of yourself .

3. Death is but the end of the book in your hands, leaving you to pick up your next life.

4. Not in my lifetime.

5. From a human's perspective, they never die. Since they are always aware, and time is not linear humans to technically live forever, since its impossible to be conscious of being unconscious.

-Sent from Zeta Reticuli starsystem-

6. I've had the same thoughts but death is a real thing.

you can never die, for a while, then when you die you stop never dying.

7. Literature, kindness to your fellow man, family, the greater good you bring to humanity at large, these are the sort of things that nod towards immortality in my view. The physical form, the ego, all the material is but temporary, love wisdom and wit are timeless.

8. The Mind plays a big role in aging if i didn't already mention it.

9. #89 Jane_Bellamont, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    I believe in parallel universes, and also in an afterlife - though it's not the traditional religious view.

In fact - our current existence could be thought of as someone else's 'afterlife'.

If you died, you wouldn't be able to compute the fact that you are actually dead, because you need to be alive in order to be aware of your own 'non-existence', ironically enough.

Therefore, it's fair to say that consciousness all over the universe exists on some sort of continuum. Every organism on Earth is like an 'eye' of the universe, and it doesn't matter if one of those 'eyes' is destroyed - the universe can still see through all the other eyes.

There would simply be no physical universe without consciousness. Physics, geometry, mathematics, biology - it's really just a manifestation of our own minds.

--

Regarding physical immortality - I'm pretty sure I'll be signing up with a cryonics insurance program sometime in my 30s, once it comes to Australia, and once it becomes more affordable and more popular.

Even though it doesn't matter if I were dead or alive, it would still be kinda awesome to be able to continue existing with all the knowledge and memories I currently have stored in my biological hard drive.

Sadly, there's a high possibility we might end up slaughtering the shit out of ourselves again, like we almost did in WW2. The present state of the world speaks for itself.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I sometimes think of death as waking up from an extremely powerful vivid dream. Like i am in some sort of deep meditation living a whole life in a blink of an eye only to wake up with a great deal of wisdom.

When i was born i had the same experience and felt very familiar to me(Yes i can remember flashes just before i was born but no 1 believes me i don't care). I always felt something more within me and the more i got lost into society and cultural expectations the more the connection to this divine presence within me and knowning-ness was disrupted and faded away.

I would always ask myself as a child ok im in this world, where the fuck did i come from because i know i was somewhere before here, i can feel it and how did i get here? Why cant i remember anything? I was getting closer but as life went by and introduced to school, and friends, junk food and growing up, and falling into the lifestyle of the rest of the bunch have forgotten this and the connection is much weaker then it used to be but i never forget what i felt and experienced.

It just felt strange waking up in a world that was already full of life and people, why did i only show up now? Where was i before this, how come i came into this existence so late? There was memories and flashes i would get but they were 2 difficult to tap into. They were not from this life nor from the dream states. They felt much more real and familiar then the waking state.

I will figure it out one day.

• Like Like x 2
  11. If one never lives.

12. The philosophers stone

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  13. Death is just an illusion.

Read "Biocentrism: How Life and Consciousness Are the Keys to Understanding the Nature of the Universe"

Sent from my LG-H831 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. I hate it how people say everything is an illusion then right a book about it. I'm like 'No I literally just saw that guy die. I am definitely sure it is not an illusion. Look I am poking him with a stick."

Let's Smoke About It......
    Sade's outdoor Bigfoot territory grow

15. But to believe you exist with nothing to back it up is illusory in itself. You only have yourself and your senses to justify that. And other people with the same concept and misconcepts of existence.

16. if you can contemplate your own existence; certainly you exist.

17. Based on what? That's like trying to prove my thoughts exist without any actions showing them to be true. Certainly they can exist, but do they? I only have myself to testify to that without proper evidence.

18. Maybe that wasn't the best example