Is it possible to kill and still have human emotions?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by MadameSoloDolo, Sep 1, 2013.

1. What I mean is to go and be a murderer right? But still feel sad, angry, happy, anxious you know. Caring about certain people. But still murder selectively. I always wondered this, just curious on your opinion.

2. I would think so.

3. You just described Dexter.

4. If you can murder people without a second thought like that, selectively or not, I'd argue that you're not human at all...but a monster.

5. Very debatable..murder is normalized every day. What about soldiers who are commanded to kill people every day? Are they monsters? Does it not take that same instinct? Emotions are all controlled by the beholder, I would personally say murderers could feel emotions as can anyone else, but some, such as remorse, aren't as strong in certain people.

6. Psychotics and sociopaths usually have human emotions, but this doesn't mean that they're not fucked up. 

You're right, it's very debatable and could be viewed in many ways.  I'm talking about like a serial killer, though.

8. I'll kill anyone for the right amount of money. I'm not human...

9. #10 Genghis Chron, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
    I don't understand why they wouldn't.. They're not becoming vegetables. If anything, they probably experience a lot more emotions than a regular person.Credit to DBZ helping me spell Vegetables ;)

10. of course. I think we overvalue human life, thats why such thought is pretty normal. obviously there are some who cant handle it and become completely numb whether they continue killing or even if it was an accident. although you can tell who has killed(atleast up close and personal) by their eyes, from there you can tell just how much "humanity" they have left in them.

and serial killers generally are motivated by something. they feel emotion of some sort towards their victims. its normally much more of a personal thing than say bombing a place. whatever that emotion might be, lust/love/anger/etc

11. I think in some cases emotions are the reasons for killing, if you are extremely angered, then you may resort to murder. If you kill because you have fun doing it, or it relieves you, then you are placed in the psychopath. 

I highly recommend you watch Dexter. 

12. Thanks for the insights yawl. Definitely taking it all into thought consideration.

13. If it's my life or theirs, I will blow that mug away but if I couldn't kill someone who wasn't trying to kill me, I ain't got it in me.

14. #15 ismokegreen, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2013
    The taking of other lives is a very integral part of being a living thing. What is life but energy and the perpetuation of the containment of that energy by stealing energy from other living things?

We all eat, thus we all kill or take part in killing. The only difference is the cultural and perhaps integrally human concept of "murder" versus "killing".

Personally I support the idea that killing a plant or animal in order to retain one's own life is very good and natural and that the murder of another human being is bad... but it isn't unnatural. It's very much still engrained within our human nature. The difference is in our ability to reason and to understand our motivations and emotions on a much more complex level. 

15. ask god for forgiveness

16. do you honestly think when you kill someone your emotions magically disappear?

17. #18 esseff, Sep 2, 2013

I agree, although there are other choices people can make where the plant doesn't have to die to consume the food it produces. Technically, one need not kill anything to survive. Practically, as a species, we're always going to. Until they invent the Star Trek replicator that is!

18. This is true, and we as a contemporary culture really need to become re-acquainted with the life that they literally feed off of every day. We need to have real respect for the animal and even as you point out, plant life that we take to nourish ourselves. This is why I believe hunting (not as a sport but as a food source) is a far superior method of gaining meat for one's family than buying a steak at the store and gardening is a much better way to get plant-based foods. The closer we get to the actual process of food production, the more respect we have for that life, not to mention the immensely beneficial effects it has upon your health since the food you produce yourself has much lower levels of industrial toxins and god knows what else.

I'm not holding my breath for the Star Trek replicator, not because I don't believe it to be a possibility in the not too distant future, but because the further we get from the natural pattern and more immersed within our own synthesized way of life, the more harm we do to ourselves and our environment. It's like that synthetic meat that they're making now. I don't care how "real" it appears to be, we did not evolve eating meat grown in a laboratory and thus unforeseen issues are bound to arise, just as they have with nearly every invention to hit the mainstream in such a rapid manner.

19. #20 AK Infinity, Sep 2, 2013

Sure, human beings are killers by nature.  Granted, we do kill selectively, well and indiscriminately but my point is that killing is a natural act for us.  We kill plants, animals, bugs and each other.  But think about it because not only do we kill but we've created efficient killing technology so we can blow people away en masse without destroying all the pretty little buildings we destroy the environment with.  Murder?  I tell you what murder is, its slowly destroying the natural world and all the while trying to give the pretense of civility, that's murder.