Is it possible to have a sixth sense?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by h i g h, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Totally my grandma made a living out of it..

Check out some books on psychic development

2. can anyone sense magnetic fields?

3. Yea I was thinking this too. We have fields around us. I feel like somehow these fields can be read and whatnot and this is what we call intuition or "vibes".

4. Vibes, short for vibrations.

In which everything vibrates, it only makes sense we could somehow pick up (subconsciously) these vibrations after being exposed to them for the entirety of human existence and even before that.

I think the phantom cell phone is an interesting concept... where you feel your phone, or a phone vibrating in your pocket, but yours isnt, or you arent carrying your phone.... IMO we have adjusted to the waves sent through the air when our phone is about to vibrate for whatever reason, so say we are near someone who receives a text, maybe our brain is picking up on the signal and has adjusted to what feeling we should feel next.... we KNOW that the waves are around for a few seconds before the phone registers them, put any cell phone infront of a speaker and have someone text it, it will make a weird noise, then receive the text.

The mind is a tool of GREAT power, and we can only harness around 10% of it (at a time, we definitely use more than 10% of the parts of the brain lol, huge misconception)... There could be a whole new realm of shit we can not perceive or understand because we arent able to "feel" whatever it is at any given time due to our limitations

5. watch through the wormhole with morgan freeman. they mentioned it in one episode. i remember them saying that our sub-concious mind can communicate with one another. not like mind reading but you can determine if someone is looking at you. read into it, its very interesting.

6. lol i watched the collective consciousness episode last weekend man, how coincidental

7. I vaguely remember this. Great, I have the series, now I have to sort through them all to figure this out.

8. I've seen that show a couple times, going to have to watch some more of it now. My girls hates spacey things, more into things here on Earth, but the universe, space, time, what's actually out there... among my favorite topics :smoke:

9. i suppose it may fall under the ability to sense 'fields' or maybe not, but i'm a big believer that people have auras and i think my mood can easily shift when surrounded by people with positive or negative auras

and to add on to the cell phone point... i know i'm not the only person who has reached for their cell phone and just before opening it i get a text from the person i was just going to text... it happens too often to be purely coincidental.

10. We are only aware of five of our senses. There are most assuredly more. I fully believe that we have more senses, but lack the development or neccesary apparatus to detect them.

Edit: people definitely have aura's. I 100% believe that, ive seen them :)

11. Yes. I have it on vhs

12. Da Dun Chh

13. yeah i think the last sentence is bs too. just a paragraph i found on wikipedia, not trying to post a scientific journal or anything, purely to stimulate some thought on the subject. i do think sensing balance and acceleration and body and limb position are something interesting though

14. There are children being born in China called super physics, look them up.

I've heard stories of people doing double blind studies on them, things like ripping a random page out of a textbook, crumbling it up, sticking it in the super physics armpit and them being able to read every work from the page, while its in their armpit.

so yes i i believe in sixth senses.

15. do you mean super psychics? instead of super physics? not trying to nit pick but there is a difference. you must mean psychics, no ?:eek:

nonetheless i do believe in psychic abilities. there is definitely more to ourselves than we have yet to understand. i think a lot of theories on the origin of the universe fail to account for the spiritual aspect. i can understand why, you cant test metaphysics, and i suppose its not a valid scientific theory until it can be tested but ... i digress.

16. There are tests but they will never satisfy a fanatic.

Belief and the brain's 'God spot' - Science - News - The Independent

However, it is folly to try anyway and that is why most scientists of today don't try to explore metaphysics. For a historical debate you will use historical data, for a scientific debate you use scientific data, for metaphysics you use... stories past down generationally.

Now from time to time, in any given field you can use sources from other fields to finalized, nail down, or better complete a body of work. A science major writing a thesis might use historical data to show that scientific measurements today vary from those taken 100's of years ago. An anthropologist might look at current philosophical views to monitor the evolution of cultural practices.

Now it is my belief that hard-core spiritualists and religious fanatics are lazy thinkers that will eschew data and find meaning/purpose/"truth" in their claims by the most infeasible of means.

ex. - "The view from my hammock lets me know that God loves me. Only HE could make something so beautiful for one of his children."

Now the same person could come to a similar conclusion if only they searched through the scientific data but then it might replace "God" with "Nature" or "Evolution"... and that is just too much work, when it is just easier to believe, this opens up so much time for other pursuits and leaves critical thinking for the scientists, doctors, engineers, etc. (our modern day saviors)

If you are still unsure as to where my stance is, check the siggy.

17. Yes,.....................After the government taxes your paycheck

18. here is what i was talking about the other day but was too lazy to find the video for you guys.
    i dont care for the first guy so start at like 4:55
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoI1cI7QPZo]Parte 2 Through the Wormhole S02E05 Is There a Sixth Sense - YouTube[/ame]

19. haha yes my mistake, super PSYCHICS :D

they're incredible.