Is it possible to grow without nutes?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by giantantwithahat, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Simple question. 

Is there any sort of soil mix that would carry you from seedling - veg - flower - harvest without adding anything but water?

2. oh for crying out loud, there is a whole forum devoted to "Growing Without Bottled Nutrients" and there are a lot of religious nutcases over there who believe the only True Way is to create a "living soil". One of them even claims all you need to do is plant organic fertilizer seeds on your back 20 acres.

most of this is just shit you think about late at night when you are stoned and just wish life could be simpler

and fertilizers are no better, they just want an easy never to be thought about or changed formula that always works, so we can just be left alone to smoke

It has nothing to do with cultivation, it's just about finally being free from having to make decisions

3. Absolutely. Make your way over to the organics section, there is a thread devoted to making your own soil - you spend a little to start and build the soil, and you can use it with only watering from veg to harvest.

If you're in a rush, check out the premixed soil from buildasoil.com, but I still highly suggest you do some reading of sticky threads in organics - it'll help you understand why it works and show you some different options you have.

Good luck and happy growing!

4. Are you lazy??????????

Nope, I'm just a curious noob. I've watched countless videos and I've seen some outdoor grows where they claim no added nutes. 

6. outdoor is one thing, indoor is another
    just plant some seeds in any old store bought soil mix and see how it goes
    my guess is you will see something you want to enhance

after that, you can go two ways

1. Create your own add water only mix

2. Add some kind of nutrients

#1 creating your own add water only mix is a life long adventure (and what difference does it make? You will always be looking for something to add to your mix)

#2 hopefully you will soon learn they will sell you any kind of crap based on your own gullibility

pot really doesn't need that much, I've never seen a plant that was deficient, but I've just about killed many trying to make them better

try doing nothing

if you have ever tried to meditate, you know, doing nothing is just about impossible

7. Check out organics sounds like it may be something of intrest. No need to explain yourself for asking, not everyone is fortunate enough to start out knowing everything.

8. otherwise, if you want a good sort of organic mix that has worked well for me from seed almost to harvest

16 qts Epsoma potting mix
    8 qts perlite
    8 qts vermiculite (or sometimes peat, depending on how the mix goes over time and the quality of the potting mix)
    5 cups Tomato Tone
    1 cup kelp

that is an easy mix that is just about add water only

I hesitate to mention it, because everyone has "just one more thing" to enhance it, and next thing you know you have a 32 ingredient recipe

9. #9 donothinggardening, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
    Water only soil is totally possible and very easy to make and grow in. Do some reading in the organics section.

You can make it as easy or as complicated as you like.

I suggest starting simple and just adding some worm castings to bagged organic soil or something like that. As you read and learn more and get to know how to grow in soil you can decide what you want to invest into it.

10. #10 GrowMechanic, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
    I highly recommend starting here.

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1116550-Easy-Organic-Soil-Mix-for-Beginners

Regardless of what some people may say you CAN build a completely water only medium. But this requires more than simply knowing what to buy.

To start pick up some perlite,spaghnum peat moss and earthworm castings (EWC). Then take a look at both nutritional and mineral amendments to add to the mix.

GM

Sent from my iPhone using GraForum

11. lol you forgot alfalfa neem cake etc.....seriously wouldn't do it without the neem

12. You always need nutrients.

The organic guys are creating their own. The rest rely on scientific advances to make the same nutrients, just in a more expedient manner that can be gauged in very accurate doses. the issue becomes the thinking that more is better.

Happy Frog carries me through week 6-8 using 1 plant per 3 gallon smart pot. I call Happy Frog Potting soil, Soil for Dummies.

I know of no single soil you can buy but someone on here should be able to chime it.

13. I'm new to soil have experience with hydro

I used ffof right up until I flipped the lights to 12/12 last night. Never fed veg nutes 1x in 40 days and grew fine. I just gave bloom nutes but was hesitant since they look so good right now.

Attached Files:

14. perfect. Just ease into the bloom nutrients, you can tell when she like full strength. I would rather slightly underfeed than to over feed. easier to recover that way.

15. Indeed sir this will work!
    My soil is pretty close to that:
    1/3 Coast of Maine lobster compost
    1/3 rice hulls/perlite(mix because of first soil batch)
    1/3 sphagnum peat moss
    ~ 3-4 cups of earthworm castings
    1-1.5c per cubic foot Kelp meal
    1-1.5c per cubic foot Tomato tone

I think I've got some dolomite and rock dust from my first soil batch in there too - like mentioned, always looking to add more, even if it's not necessary, but I don't fret if it's not in the soil, it just gets there eventually.