Is it possible to grow Marijuana in the Winter?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by OnlyTy, Nov 7, 2010.

1. I live in Eatonville Washington, and it sometimes gets as low as 30 degrees F, during January and February. But the good news is, I *have* a greenhouse. Now I have a couple questions, to anybody out there who has any experience growing pot:

1. Even with the greenhouse, will it be possible to grow pot during the Winter? Or is it even worth trying before May or June?
    2. Are there any techniques I could use to keep it warmer in the greenhouse, that wouldn't require using electricty or power?
    3. Any miscellaneous advice that anybody could give me would be great. Please don't be afraid of typing too much. And please- I want to hear from people with actual EXPERIENCE!

2. I know that you can heat a greenhouse with kerosine, but I don't think you will get enough light. Also, with the cost of kerosine, itll be cheaper to just buy

3. passive solar collectors would keep things above freezing if there are enough and there aren't many drafts.

basically, black tubs full of water. the sun heats it during the day and the heat is released during the night. doesn't work well if it is overcast or raining. Have you checked the temps at night in the greenhouse? The lack of daylight is another issue. way up there, you probably only have like 10 hrs. of day time during the winter. The plants will grow if the temps are warm enough, but they will likely make loose, buds and be small.

4. Im wondering the same thing but applying to north florida. It more than likely won't freeze but you never know. I germinated a few seeds and don't care as much if they don't take because I have about 200 more that I am waiting for optimal grow season. If anyone knows whether they have a chance I would appreciate it.

5. yes they will sprout but they will not grow until spring although if you kept a plant alive throughout the winter it would have absolutely the best possible grow window

6. Thanks for the info guys, I'll definitely look into all your suggestions. So from what you're telling me, I *would* be able to grow it in the Winter. About how much yield could I expect from a plant? (The temperature in the greenhouse usually doesn't go below 60 or 65.)

7. the plant will not flower until around august i recommend you read every thing you can about the plant before growing(because trust me it will still be a huge learning experience) and what im saying is that it will sprout and stay alive but it will not grow until the warmer weather comes around

8. The plant will flower but like someone said the days will be short and could have even worst light in overcast. The plants will go straight into budding as soon as they are mature enough though so don't expect much yield per a plant.

9. i respectfully disagree the plant requires between a 13/11 to a 11/13 i honestly grew a plant for three months during winter with now results once spring hit a had in three day more growth then was shown in 3 months but if you have any stats showing the opposite then please, feel free to post them here or to drop me a pm

10. #10 yoctown, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
    It's not stats its what happens with the plant. If it is 12/12 or under it will bud. It may not grow very much and become the plant you wish it could be but it will bud. Maybe the plant never became mature enough to bud but if you set a clone out 100% positive it would bud. There is slow growth in the winter it may take longer for a plant to become mature enough to bud and it probably never reached that point before spring hit. That's not to say its not 100% possible as long as the days never reach over 12/12.

11. well if that is what happened to you then i will take it as fact +rep :hippie:

12. I'm not sure my story is relevant, but I'll pass it along for what it's worth.

I live in central Florida and wanted to do a stealth balcony grow. I decided to plant late in the year to keep the plants small reasoning that they would go into flower as the days were becoming shorter. I only got one seed to germinate, but it was a girl...early August it sprouted. After a month of vegetating I took a couple of cuttings.

The mother is nearing harvest and the clones are about three weeks behind. The mother is only 25" and the clones are about 6-7". The mother should give me about 20 grams of dried bud and the clones each have a nice small cola.

Incidentally, I was gone for a couple of weeks and gave the plants to a friend to care for...he was not into caring for plants and they suffered from lack of direct sunlight and water. I'm sure they would have been somewhat larger with proper care...especially the clones as they were really stunted.

My point is that you can time your planting to suit your own needs either by selecting a planting time or using autoflower seeds.

There are many ways to grow this plant and you'll never know if you don't try. Good luck.

13. ive come to learn that growing weed is ridiculously easy. plant the seed in soil, water it every couple of days and give it light. it'll grow, even in winter.

BUT...to grow good weed is ridiculously difficult - im guessing you already know what the ideal temp. range for buds is, 30f is way cold and im sure your buds will come out shite unless you get much much closer to 75

14. Haha no way! I used to live in Puyallup but im in Seattle now. In high school me and my friends would go party out by the falls. That was only like last year though...you ever party out there? I met a lot of people from Eatonville one night lol

and to answer the question...no you won't be able to..Eatonville gets down into the teens im pretty sure because Puyallup would dip into the 20's occasionally during the winter...

15. From personal experience, I would not suggest trying to heat a greenhouse with kerosene.

Fumes get overwhelming and it get's very hot unless you have a Large Greenhouse.

Best thing to do is save some money and get a double walled ridgid greenhouse, they can get down to around zero and still keep warm just from the solar energy.

They are not cheap though :)

16. I disagree. I have plants that started from seed in Dec. and made good (decent) buds that I harvested in April.

17. Hey all i was wondering if someone can let me know ASAP, i live in ontario canada and want to grow some pot over the winter, it will get pretty cold here definitly in the minuses i wanted to know if my pot plants will survive in a bunky, now they will be in a big wardrobe and have the lights always on to keep them warm, the doors will be kept closed and i will also have a little portable heater i could probably put in there as well, with all that will they survive and stay warm enough?
    If so will i need a fan still with it being that cold?

18. [quote name='"Mattness7"']Hey all i was wondering if someone can let me know ASAP, i live in ontario canada and want to grow some pot over the winter, it will get pretty cold here definitly in the minuses i wanted to know if my pot plants will survive in a bunky, now they will be in a big wardrobe and have the lights always on to keep them warm, the doors will be kept closed and i will also have a little portable heater i could probably put in there as well, with all that will they survive and stay warm enough?
    If so will i need a fan still with it being that cold?[/quote]

I have had friends grow a spring crop before. They moved the plants in a dark room and outside to get the light schedules they needed for veg and bud. Bud it don't get anywhere near that cold here. If ur not planing on dumping alot of money into it give it a try.

19. yes you can get 2 crops going but don't start the 2nd one to late in the season..i think i stsarted my last 6 in august

20. With lights and a heater its totaly possible..its starting to get cold where im at and I am kinda worrying that sixty f may be a little low for em..the cellar is always cold..but with the two six hundreds on its always eighty f in there..a twenty degree difference is big ..anyone know if thatll hermie em on me?