Is it possible to delete important files from your computer?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by DutchX5, Dec 17, 2010.

1. #1 DutchX5, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010
    By important, I mean crucial to the computer's software... I'm cleaning up my computer to create space and I put a shit ton of files that I don't recognize in the trash but didn't empty it yet. I'm afraid I'll delete them permanently and then my comp will start having problems. Most of them are just big pages of random numbers and symbols.

I know I sound like a moron but is it safe to so this? Like if they were crucial files I wouldn't be able to delete them so easily right?

2. Where were these files originally located?

Typically, if you don't know what it is you should leave it alone....

Edit.... the answer to your actual question is yes, yes you can. And then you will reboot your PC and get a pretty blue screen....

3. I'm actually on a Macbook Pro. Most of the files are .js and some are .h

I don't even remember where I got them from, so I don't know where to put them back now...

4. Delete System 32.

5. Ohhh... I am not very familiar with the mac OS... does the Trash not have an option to just restore all files to original locations?

6. Not that I can see...

Oh well, I'm just gonna create a "Random Files" folder and put them in there. Thanks for the help though, +rep

7. He said hes on a mac, not a PC

8. I'm not familiar with Macs, but in case its the same/similar:
    If the file is in the trash, it's not being used, so permanently deleting it shouldn't be a problem. If it was going to cause problems being deleted, it would've:
    a) Given you issues being in the trash, nevermind being permanently deleted.
    b) Not even let you delete/move/edit the file in the first place, unless done through command prompt or other applications (for Windows, not sure on Macs).

I take no responsibility for any crashes or other problems in any way caused from the taking or application of my provided knowledge:D.

9. Fail.

10. hey man, if you
    1.open up the trash
    2.select all the files you want to put back to where they came from
    3.you right click and select "put back"-it is like 3 down on the menu

make sure you have right click enabled if you dont
    1.go to system preferences then
    2.click trackpad
    3.enable right click
    4. read my above instructions

this is on Snow Leopard if you are using a previous OS just let me know and ill try to help you out

11. yeah i think it is OP. my old piece of shit computer i used to use that i bought off my friend for an electric grinder and pepperoni stick that i use as a footrest now for when i go on my new computer. i deleted a file off of it cause i was high and trying to free up some space. and ever since i deleted it it kept telling me to install an update and it never would because i deleted that one file. it was a windows 2000 computer so it was old as fuck. i think the file i deleted was called windows framework im not sure. that was an old version of windows you might not be able to delete crucial software now off of newer operating systems though.

12. I tried this and couldn't find a "put back" option... there's

- Open
    - Open with
    - Get Info
    - Quick Look
    - Copy
    - Clean up
    - Label
    - More (nothing of interest in there)

Thanks though I appreciate the input! I just made a folder called "Random Files" and put it aside. I mean I can put that folder in the trash and the comp runs fine, but maybe it has to do with something I wouldn't notice, so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

A lot of the files are javascript (.js) and some of the are .h, whatever that is. And a bunch have vbulletin in the title. I have a forum thread from a different forum saved that a friend from here sent me, but that seems to be packed away in a folder. But a lot of the random files have that thread name in them. But it couldn't account for all 256 files, and some of them are dated from 2 years ago anyway from when I got my computer.

13. Dude, you probably just deleted some old "save page as" crap, that's all. .js and .h files aren't really ever used in the computer, especially on a Mac. Yes, you can screw some stuff up on a Mac, but it's pretty obvious what you're screwing up when you do it, e.g. going into System, Libarary, Extensions, and trashing random shit.

Contrary to the above, it's not a bad thing to delete things you don't know what they are. You just need to know WHERE it is. Infinitely more important than "what" it is, is WHERE it is. Shit littered on the desktop, in your pictures, in your music, downloads, etc... obviously free to do whatever you want with, no part of it is important to the system. Go rooting through "show package contents" or rooting through the system folders, you know where you are (you obviously opened it, right?), so you know it could be harmful to mess around there if you don't know what it is you're going through. Half the shit in the System32 folder (in Windows), I can figure out what it is by reading the filename, but the other half I really have no idea and can only guess.

And if it's in the trash can... it's IN the TRASH. Obviously it's not performing any useful function there, now is it? Again with the where thing. If it's in the trash, you can delete it (empty the bin). :p

14. I actually never looked at it that way, but that is probably the best improvement in my IT knowledge I've ever had :D.