Is It possible? PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Garrettsmokes, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Is it possible to grow without using store bought nutrients ? can i just switch the soil at certain times throughout the grow and use lights ? Also, can i just use typical garden plant food like miracle grow? please answer if you know!

2. i'm going to go ahead and say miracle grow has shit in it that you shouldn't smoke… i'm pretty sure it's also not supposed to be used in stuff you intend to eat.

3. lol miracle gro is the worst of the worst for nutes man....

you could look into making compost tea... and other ways to organically provide nutes to the plant... but i mean... miracle gro will be store bought, so if you are going that route might as well use some organic fox farms or other highly rated goodness hahahaha

Changing out the soil over and over will stress the hell out of the plant man

4. Your question was: is it possible? Yes it's possible. However, minimal effort and setup will yield minimal results, not even worth the effort IMO.

5. If your budget wont allow for the high dollar nutes, just grab some jack's classic. You can get enough veg and flower nutes to last several grows for $20 shipped. Its been used for food and mj for years and some people have grown some monsters with thier nutes. My only complaint was that powdered crystals clumped together in very high humidity.

6. People give miracle grow soil alot of crap, but I planted in organic miracle grow, and aside from a few gnats I have had no issues with all 3 of my plants.

I guess what I'm saying is while it certainly isn't the best out there, your plants aren't going to shrivel up and die at the sight of miracle gro. Keep in mind I did say organic miracle gro, I would try to steer clear of their other soil unless you completely flushed it.

The way some people talk about it on here you would think a bag of miracle gro snuck in their house and took advantage of their wife or something.

7. [quote name='"Internetz"']i'm going to go ahead and say miracle grow has shit in it that you shouldn't smoke… i'm pretty sure it's also not supposed to be used in stuff you intend to eat.[/quote]

People have been growing vegetables in miracle gro for years, if its safe to eat food grown in it, its safe to smoke bud grown in it.

Its not like they sprinkle the soil with herpes prior to shipping.

8. OK…

I know there are chemicals used in gardening/aquaculture that make things un suitable for human consumption. I have no idea what's in miracle grow, and figured it was some crazy big pharma Monsanto kill-drug type shit.

Better safe than sorry right?

9. Miracle Gro ferts are no worse than any other run-of-the-mill chemical ferts from companies like Peters, Schultz, Vigoro, etc. Which is to say that none of these are great -- these chemical ferts deliver nutes but the nutes are bound up in manufactured molecules that aren't as easy for the plants and the microbes in the soil to break down, leave excess salts and waste byproducts in the soil, etc. Organic nutes are much better for many reasons, including easier to manage, better for the plant, and better taste from your harvest.

The sharp criticism that is specific to Miracle-Gro has to do with their soil and amendments because they add time-released (chemical) fertilizers into their soil, their peat moss, even their perlite. These products can run too hot for MJ roots, especially younger spouts, and can kill plants.

10. Very well put Toasty.

I dont know too much about the subject but I do know what toasty said and that is they have time released chems that are just not recommended for weed. I ca saftly say when i was 15-16 i used MG all the time in the summers for my outdoor dope plants and they all crackled when smoking even when flushed for two weeks and had a bit of a funky taste to it. That I can say i have learned and delt with first hand.

11. My post was in reference to miracle gro organic, which does not contain time release nutes. I agree that the other products in the miracle gro line are much less than desirable.

12. #13 namenlos923, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2011
    a lot of people do not like miracle grow at all, and will fly off the handle at the slightest mention of the word...i'm hear to say, that i don't have much money, and i use miracle grow nutes. It can be used on things you ingest....I use the Tomato food nutes. i use it for both veg and flower, but i'm sure a bloom booster nute would be much better for flower. it doesn't leave any weird aftertastes or anything like that...i didn't even flush one of plants in my last grow, and it tasted fine. i did cure it for about a week, though.

[EDIT:] it is easy to give plants nute burn using the tomato food. I use 1/4 strength, and always keep superthrive around incase of severe nute burn.

13. Okay guys i have another noob ass question for you, if im growing 1-3 plants in a grow box that is approx. 2X2ft how many lumens should i have for veg and flowering stages, and i was going to use fluorescent lights to veg and incandescent to flower, does this sound alright you you guys, i am poor and i live with people who i want to hide this from. so please help lol
    thanks.

14. The more lumens, the better. It is going to be next to impossible to hide this from people you live with. Especially if you can't afford any sort of filter for smell.

15. Incandescents to flower? No, incandescents are never the right choice for any stage of growing MJ.

16. so you cant overdo the lumens? to some degree im sure you can but i just need alot is what your saying? what wattage should i be aiming for ? sorry for all these questions

17. You will not succeed in growing behind the backs of others in the house. Growing MJ involves strange smells, noises, and activities over a several-month period, you will get caught. You need your own, secure place to grow.

Please read up in the stickies. There's are grow guides, a lighting section, a security section -- the answers to all of your questions are already here, and they have been placed in the stickies precisely so that this forum doesn't get clogged with answering the same questions over and over and over and...

18. It is impossible.