Is it possible I’ll lose weight doing this?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by stoneddd, May 19, 2022.

1. Hey guys. I know this site is mostly for stoner questions but here I am. I’ll get right to it. I’m 5 foot 11 and weigh 240 and I just started my own exercise program on Monday. I’ve been eating 2500 calories a day of healthier food such as tuna fish spinach salads, salmon, cottage cheese, lean ground turkey, beans, lean protein shakes, lots of fruits/veggies, and so on. I’ve been avoiding unhealthy carbs like bread, rice, and processed sugary foods. Also only drinking water. I don’t have a gym membership so I use a mini barbell and weights to do my weighted exercises. So here is my workout plan that I divided in three different parts of the day in order to be maintainable:

8 AM:
    3 sets 25 reps body weight air squats
    1 set 25 reps far grip push-ups
    1 set 20 reps regular push-ups
    3 sets 15-20 reps calf raises

2 PM:
    1 set 10-15 reps close grip push-ups
    3 sets 15 reps sit-ups
    2 sets 30 second planks
    3 sets 15 reps (weighted) bent over back rows

8 PM:
    1 set 15 reps close grip bicep curl
    1 set 15 reps far grip bicep curl
    2 sets 15-20 reps barbell military press
    1 set 20 reps tricep extension
    2 sets 30 second wall sits

I’m doing this workout plan 5 days a week Monday through Friday, along with walking at least 2 hours a day 7 days a week. I know it’s not an insane amount of exercise but it’s certainly better than what I’ve been doing. Tbh the reason why I have the motivation is cause I started drinking a sugar free energy drink every morning (not sure if that’s a good thing). If you know about fitness and nutrition, I would love if you guys could share your thoughts.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. sounds good but way too solitary for me, can't you find a like minded group that you see daily?

• Like Like x 2
  3. If you have a caloric deficit you will lose weight. You should download the myfitnesspal app which is free you can enter your start weight and goal and it can help you track your macros (basically calories broken down into types) and exercise. Even just using it for a little bit can help you get a better understanding of how you should be eating and the speed you can hit your goals.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. In late 2015 I weighed almost 290 lbs and 6'1" Most of my adult life I weighed 185 lbs from my early 40's to my late 50's I gained over 100 lbs
    When I started my weight loss program i was 57 years old. Because of knee problems I couldn't use my treadmill but I also owned a recumbent exercise bike which I started using . When I first started i struggled to do 3 miles . I now routinely do 12 to 14 miles a session which usually lasts an hour . When I first started I used the bike 7 days a week . I quickly lost 30 lbs and couldn't get beyond that 30 pound mark. So I started looking at my diet . I decided to remove sugar from my diet. When I did that within 2 months I lost another 30 pounds .
    I got down to 208 lbs after about 2 years of doing nothing but using that bike and removing sugar from my diet. I've made other adjustments to my diet by going months without eating bread of any kind no fast food and eating more chicken and fish and fresh veggies and less beef . I no longer workout 7 days a week I now do 4 days a week. On the days I dont workout I try to get 10,000 steps in . My everyday weight now fluctuates between 208 lbs and 215 lbs depending on the season. I tend to carry a little more weight during the winter .My ultimate goal is to get under 200 lbs. If you consume less calories than you burn you'll loose weight without exercise it'll just be a slower process

• Like Like x 4
  5. Thanks for the feedback, I’ll consider it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Thank you, that’s a good idea!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Awesome success story! Ya I know being in a caloric deficit is the way to go, I’m just not sure how many calories I’m burning or how fast my metabolism is going with this workout plan. Not sure if a fitness watch will do the trick.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Just get started doing whatever you decide to do and stick with it you will not regret it.
    When you see folks you haven't seen in a while and they dont recognize you because of the weight loss that'll motivate you even more
    ( at least it did for me)
    Start off slow and slowly increase what you're doing and it will pay off for you .
    You just have to stick with it..... That's the most important thing .
    Good luck to you. !

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. One thing to consider....You do need to eat healthy but you also need to reduce the volume of food that you consume.

You will feel hungry all the time but that is because you have a big stomach from overeating. Eventually your stomach will shrink and your "full mark" will change. When that happens you have to pay attention to when it tells you you're full even if there is still food on your plate, you don't have to clear your plate; contrary to what most mothers demand of their children.

I eat to live, not live to eat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I'm on a weight loss/fitness journey, too. You don't need a fitness watch though I love mine. I know how hard I'm working when I exercise. My watch doesn't tell me more than my breathing and perceived exertion does. I either breathe hard and sweat or I don't depending on how hard I work that day. I don't necessarily get a hard workout in every day, some days I just don't have it in me. I go to the gym five or six days a week and do 30 minutes aerobic on the elliptical then 30 minutes on the circuit machines.
    Best of luck to you @stoneddd !

• Like Like x 2
  11. Diet is 80 percent of weight loss, sounds like you’re doing enough exercise to create a good enough deficit. Maybe try for 2200 calories a day which would maintain a weight of 220 pounds or so, you’ll lose faster. Good job!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. That’s great! Thanks!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. I’ll do my best and try for 2100-2300 a day. Thanks for the advice!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. Yes. The carb cutting will shed pounds, even if you don't exercise.

Good luck

15. #15 michakemo, Nov 23, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2022