Is it okay to smoke out of a chipped piece?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by Xenopsy, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Hey guys its been awhile since I posted on the forums but I got a question.

I was cleaning my pipe about an hour ago and I heated the bowl up with a lighter so the resin would be soft and moist. Anyways I got a paper clip and I'm doing my thing scraping out the resin and then all of a sudden my pipe chips(yeah I know I asked for it by heating it up) right at the carb.

It's not a bad chip at all, it's about 1/8 of an inch wide. It doesn't affect my pipe in any way except for the fact that I can't find the 2nd piece that chipped off. I haven't tried shaking it out in a bag of warm water yet so it could be in the pipe.

My question to you guys is, would you still smoke out of the pipe even with just minor chip? I blew into it pretty hard to get any particles of glass out so I'm guessing I should be good, but I just want your input.

Let me know if pics would help(I don't think they're completely necessary)
    Thanks for any replies.

2. Should be fine i have smoked off chipped pipes before it happens but you should still get a new one when you can a new one is definitely better then a broken one lol...

3. [quote name='"silentsmoker42o"']Should be fine i have smoked off chipped pipes before it happens but you should still get a new one when you can a new one is definitely better then a broken one lol...[/quote]

Its like barely broken/chipped though so that's why I'm asking. I spent $27.00 on it and it has lasted me a long ass time. I've also dropped it accidentally about 4-5 times from 3+ feet. It's very durable but it was hot and that's why it chipped so easy.

4. You should post pictures, because it is hard to know without really SEEING it. I have smoked out of a few cracked pieces, and I have even bought a steamroller that had a crack in it. The key is that it was a hairline fracture though, and didnt impede the piece.

Post a picture!