Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

is it okay to smoke as a christian?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by swaqqer, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Man's law unless it oversteps God's law.(Romans 13:1-7) Let every soul be in subjection to the superior authorities, for there is no authority except by God; the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God. 2 Therefore he who opposes the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God; those who have taken a stand against it will receive judgment to themselves. 3 For those ruling are an object of fear, not to the good deed, but to the bad. Do you, then, want to have no fear of the authority? Keep doing good, and you will have praise from it; 4 for it is God's minister to you for your good. But if you are doing what is bad, be in fear: for it is not without purpose that it bears the sword; for it is God's minister, an avenger to express wrath upon the one practicing what is bad. 5 There is therefore compelling reason for YOU people to be in subjection, not only on account of that wrath but also on account of [YOUR] conscience. 6 For that is why YOU are also paying taxes; for they are God's public servants constantly serving this very purpose. 7 Render to all their dues, to him who [calls for] the tax, the tax; to him who [calls for] the tribute, the tribute; to him who [calls for] fear, such fear; to him who [calls for] honor, such honor.(Acts 5:28-29) and said: “We positively ordered YOU not to keep teaching upon the basis of this name, and yet, look! YOU have filled Jerusalem with YOUR teaching, and YOU are determined to bring the blood of this man upon us.” 29 In answer Peter and the [other] apostles said: “We must obey God as ruler rather than men.

2. No. They made concentrates which they kept in goat skins which they then mixed with water which is when it got diluted maybe

3. Why wouldn't it be?

4. I don't know, I don't see anything in the Bible about Jesus being 16 and changing water into wine so he could get massively drunk with his buddies. I'm inclined to believe Javarius Reptar. ;)

5. #25 Kush93, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2012
    1 Peter 5:8
    Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

Romans 12:3

For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.

1 Thessalonians 5:6

So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and be sober.

2 Timothy 4:5

As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

According to these verses I would have to say no for when you are high you are no longer sober. But then again one could make the argument that nyquil and other pain medications would be immoral to use as they too relieve you of your sober state of mind.

Also I believe that they were referring more to alcohol when speaking about being sober but if it was only alcohol that would mean that there was no direct connection with God stating that doing any other hardcore drug would be immoral.

Also, I do not believe God placed marijuana here on earth for us to smoke but more for us to use as a natural resource for paper, clothing and fuel (we have the technology).

Saying "God put it here so it must mean he wants us to smoke it" wouldn't be the best argument seeing as he also put poison ivy on this earth where as if one would smoke that they would die.

In the end God made all natural plants with different purposes that may not be directly associated with humans but in the end do benefit us.

So your best bet would probably be going to your local pastor and asking him what he thinks about it and if you truly believe that he speaks from God then go with what he tells you, or if you are actually a Christian not religious (There is a very big difference) then you should have a personal relationship with God and you should pray to him asking for guidance, he'll tell you what's up.

6. Nah, you're going to hell my man. But you'll never need a lighter again!

7. If you're gonna take that route, then why did god make marijuana get you high? Why did he add THC?

You mention poison ivy and how that would kill you if you smoked it. But why would anyone ever smoke that? There's no benefits to be had there.

There are benefits from smoking weed, though. And if you believe in the Biblical god, then he put those plants here and gave them the ability to give us a very enjoyable high. Plus, medical benefits!

Why do that, if he intended for people to never smoke it?

Maybe it was just a test. ;)

8. You could say that, and that is pretty true about why would he add the THC and CBD to a natural plant but then again an opposer could go on to say that we must follow the law of the land as long as it does not contradict the law of God and I don't think there is a commandment that says "Thou Shalt Smoke the Stickiest of The Ickiest And Keep It Holy" lol.

9. Even if that was the case it is relative to the time period. What may seem taboo to us today, was often just a part of celebrations in their culture. Believe me this "tradition" was widespread throughout the times even before Jesus in Sparta in other Greek worlds. For us to look down on him for participating in the local festivities is unfair.

Sounds like maybe a wee bit abuse of power though hahaha. :smoke:

10. The word "sober" in that context isn't about intoxication. It's referring to character and demeanor.

11. Seems kind of backhanded of him then, to make it such a lovely substance to get high off of but frown upon people getting high off of it.

That god seems to do things like that a lot, though. :p

Well, yeah, I hear ya, but really I was only messing around, so... you know... carry on. ;)

12. jesus loves weed

13. You mean like being aware of your surroundings?

14. #34 GSN1PA360, Jun 21, 2012
    From my point of view I think Jesus drank wine and most likely got drunk, But god gave us Hemp and Marijuana, Marijuana probably gives benefits to natural environments. But we never thought of why god would put cannabinoid receptors in our brain, It's like a perfect link between the two if he didn't want us high he wouldn't design our brains us like that

15. If God exists he better have a good excuse

16. #36 Storm Crow, Jun 21, 2012
    Jesus Healed Using Cannabis (news - 2003) Entheology.org - Preserving Ancient Knowledge

Have you ever considered Jesus' miracles in the light of what cannabis does medically?

The blind shall see....

Smoking dope restored my sight (news/anecdotal - 1998)
    BBC News | Health | Smoking dope restored my sight

January is Glaucoma Awareness Month: Can Marijuana save eyesight?
    (news / anecdotal – 2011)
    January is Glaucoma Awareness Month: Can Marijuana save eyesight? - Madison norml | Examiner.com

And the lame shall walk...

Marihuana as a therapeutic agent for muscle spasm or spasticity. (abst - 1980)
    [FONT=&quot]Clinical Studies and Case Reports[/FONT]

Cannabinoids and muscular pain. Effectiveness of the local administration in rat.
    [FONT=&quot](abst – 2012) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cannabinoids and muscular pain. Effectiveness of ... [Eur J Pain. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI[/FONT]

And demons shall be cast out (epilepsy was thought to be caused by possession)

Anti-epileptic Action of Marijuana-Active Substances (full - 1949) http://www.onlinepot.org/medical/Dr_Tods_PDFs/s3_6.pdf

Marijuana, endocannabinoids, and epilepsy: Potential and challenges for improved therapeutic intervention. (abst - 2011) Marijuana, endocannabinoids, and epilepsy: Potent... [Exp Neurol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

The guys are right about the low alcohol content of ancient wine. The Romans would have considered us barbarians, since only barbarians drank straight wine! Civilized folks drank wine mixed with water! :rolleyes:

This is also why the water to wine trick worked- you pour hot water into the dregs* of some red wine, stir, fill with cold water and let it sit a bit! The dregs settle out and the wine flavor and some of the color gets in the water. Everyone was used to watered wine- this pinkish "Rose'" wedding wine was just a bit thinner than usual. :cool: (Sorry if that busts anyone's "miracle" bubble.)

As for the morality question, I see it this way. Hemp seed is a near perfect food.

HEMP SEED: THE MOST NUTRITIONALLY COMPLETE FOOD SOURCE IN THE WORLD (1) (full - 1992) http://www.ratical.org/renewables/hempseed1.html

In an "Edenic" state of being, a "natural" human would eat the whole bud, to get the nutritional value of the seeds.

I do not think the creator would wrap perfect, healing food in a "forbidden" package!

Granny :wave:

* Dregs are the solids that normally settle to the bottom of the bottle or jar of wine. Most modern wine is filtered and chemically settled to remove all trace of the dregs.

17. Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it's a sin. My mom is super religious and shit, and made me go to confession (where you tell the priest all the sins you've done.) So I told him I smoke weed and he said it's not a sin.

Also, if alcohol was illegal would you think it's a sin? Jesus was drinking wine at the last supper.

18. people will tell you different things. I will say that dont think its ok because of the vague verses some people here will provide. I encourage you to search deep. I will include here a response i wrote to another thread i wrote awhile ago.
    "I too am a christian, weekly church attender (not that that really means much). Ive put a lot of time into thinking and research. 3 main things come up.

The "pharmakeia" arguement which says some greek translation equates sorcery to that word which founded the english "pharmacy/pharmaceuticals" so they say drugs are sorcery. To me that isnt in specific at all about "mind altering" drugs but to all medications if that were true. (shamans and sorcery were associated with potions and medical cures other than simple prayer back in the day)

The verse "do not be drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery, but be filled with the holy spirit" people apply that to other intoxication. That speaks to me that, as we all know, alcohol leads to people doing immoral and stupid things (debauchery) but I have never experienced any stupidity and urge to do troublesome and embarrassing things under MJs influence.

The legality arguement. This is the only thing I see as wrong with MJ. Obviously its a sin to be involved in criminal activity/ illegality. Knowing the origin of marijuana laws and how much corruption fueled it into a banned substance, thats how I "justify" it. So you are doing an illegal thing which is a sin, but if you can deal with/ answer to that, your in the clear.

Hope i helped, please do not mention it/ be open with it to the church as it will be very frowned upon and will most likely completely ruin your reputation within the church and with its members. Most people especially christians are very against it in all forms. "

Take anyones advice with a grain of salt and decide for yourself what you need to do.

19. im pretty sure you'll go in hell

20. thanks guys. really informative.