Is it ok to?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by This is my name, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Cut the bottom of the plant pot off and stick that into a bigger pot?? Im thinking it would be less stressfull then taking the whole lot out of one into another.

2. Do you mean cutting off the bottom of the rootwad? If so I wouldn't recommend it at all.

3. No taking off the bottom of the small plant pot to put in a larger pot

4. OK I got you. Yes that is perfectly acceptable.

5. cheers m8.. i was dreading that bit.:D

6. It'd be much better and easier to get rid of that small pot altogether.
    ..why is it too hard to take off?

If you don't take it off you won't be able to check the roots to see if they're rootbound,
    and the roots won't be able grow out from the root ball.

The plant will be disadvantaged.

7. emmm, I thought roots grow down so by removing the bottom of the pot and replanting in a bigger one they could carry on doing so without any trouble'also making my life easyer at the same time.

8. actually the roots grow out and down
    if you just cut the old pot off some roots will grow down but others will start circling the inside of the pot. This will make it "rootbound" and will choke the rest of the roots which will stop them from doing their job properly.

I couldn't find a good picture of a marijuana plant's roots, but you can see in this pic the roots go out and down:

[​IMG]

Will it be hard to take the old pot off the rootball? ..why's that, how big is the plant?

If the plant is big then just lay it horizontal on the ground and ease the pot off it. Cut the pot off if you have to, just be real careful with the roots. Once the pot is off check the roots aren't rootbound. If they are then ease the roots out that're circling the rootball - you want them to start growing away from the rootball, not just keep circling it.

9. That transplanting method is also known as repotting and it will work fine. A "normal" transplant will work even better and starting and finishing in the same pot would be the least stressful.