Is it ok to use GenHydro PH for drinking water?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Calcifer, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Is it ok to ph balance drinking water with general hydroponics PH adjustment kit? It says the PH down uses food grade phosphoric acid to lower ph. Is this ok for human consumption?

2. #3 VINDICATED, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2009
    Depends on the ingredients. If it's made from baking soda, vinegar, lemon, or salt then you know it probably won't kill you. I just wouldn't be drinking anything with sulfuric acid in it - or anything made for pools for that matter.

Concentration also plays a big part. A few drops of bleach in your cup of water won't do anything. A few teaspoons on the other hand might induce vomiting and cause gastrointestinal discomfort.

3. hey thanks, i did some research and it is food grade phosphoric acid. It seems okay, but i want to be sure.

4. GH is a company that caters to the hydroponic farming industry, as in hydro lettuce for example.

id imagine its safe enough for human consumption.

5. Thank you for the input. I read that distillation brings water to a 5.0 PH balance, and tap water in TX is at 8.5-9.0 so my water tastes bad either way. Going to make a bottle put it in the refrigerator and let it get cold. Then PH test it, and drink it.