Is it neccessary to germinate seeds?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ramboondrugs, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Do I have to germinate my seeds or can I just put them in soil and water it?If I can just plant them without germinating,what are the pros and cons of both(germination vs just planting)?

2. research..i dont really think you even understand what germination is yet..

3. Isn't it when the seed first sprouts?Also,when I said is it necessary to germinate them,I meant whenever I see a tutorial thy sAy put it in a moist paper towel and once it sprouts you plant it,so I was wondering is that part a necessity?

4. well...i think it might make a difference. but i have heard of people just planting a seed in a pot and soil and they grew it. but i wouldn't really recommend it. big chane of it not sprouting or you could bury it to far down. just germinate it, it don't take long.

5. While you don't have to germinate, it is done for success rates and so you're not wasting your time. You can put a plant in soil, water, and let it grow. Germination just increases sucess as it is an optimal enviroment, and you know if it is growing or not.

I didn't "germinate" per se in my system. I put the seeds in the rockwool cubes, turned on my hydro system, and kept the lights off until I got a sprout. This should have worked fine, but I got 2 out of 6. (I'm pretty sure that 2 or 3 of them I may have killed myself trying to "help" them)

again, for the whole process, what work you put in dictates what you get out.

6. a lot of people around here say that the paper towel method is risky so i just put my seeds in damp soil and put it in a ziplock. worked fine for me but you have to make sure you don't leave it in too long or it'll get moldy quick.

i think i'll be using the paper towel method from now on lol, i've killed too many sprouts starting the seeds in soil

7. okay

All seeds germinate. whether in a paper towel or in wet soil .

to the OP let me ask you this .. for thousands of years cannabis grew without mans help.. now in all that time .. do you think a seeds needed to be placed in a wet paper towel, and coddled till the season got right? nope they just landed on the ground ( or came out with defecation) and grew.

the reason we do a "germination process" is to increase our chances of success.. when you get it down .. germing in paper towels is kinda useless. IMHO

wharf

8. I am like 28/30 recently with the paper towel method. I highly recommend it.

9. The reason im asking is becase whenever I put the seeds in the damp papertowel inside a plastic bag,no mattter how much or how little water I put,it still gets moldy and it would only be in there a day

10. #10 iampolluted2, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2010

he's 100% correct.

i do like the paper towel method tho. i can see the progress and act accordingly. i've tried the seed in soil, only to get impatient and check, disturbing the soil and running the risk of damaging it.

if your seeds are getting moldy try dropping them in a shot glass with water. once they sink you can plant them in soil. i think this is how it's done, i haven't tried it tho.

11. Agree with what's been said. You don't need to germinate outside of the soil, but if you put the seed straight into soil and water, and wait, and water, and wait...who knows if you have a dud or if it did germinate and is soon to pop through the soil. The paper towel method or other way of germinating outside of the soil is to ensure you are dealing with a live one.

12. #12 custom280Z, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2010

:hello:
    finially someone who understands what germination actually is lol :D

but i have to say, there is a big difference between seeds back then and now..reason folk's loose so many is because todays bank seeds are pampered, babbied and see no harsh envornment at all. there not as tuff as the seds of yesteryear that were mostly breed outdoors, and saw harsh enviornment..and fought through it to mature..
    think of it this way
    2 different kids grow kids grow up, one gets vaccines, antibiotic , etc all there life..
    the other does not..
    in the end the one that has never used anything has the much stronger health and immunity..
    my research shows that older seeds from outdoor crops have a way better chance of surviving and immunities..
    and paper towel method works better for bank seeds that are babied there whole life..
    because of there immune system and chances of getting pathogens from soil while trying to germinate

that and germing in soil also has another drawback..ever heard of fungus gnats? most common pest in grow room among the southern hem..
    they lay eggs in soil, they hatch into larve, eat the seed from the inside and cause it to rot..
    i know folk's around here stick to the norm, but by doing so and not doing hands on research like this will not determaine the best way..paper towels are the best way, by fact..

13. ...that not the right example.

If you had 2 kids, one was never exposed to dirt or bacteria, they just lived in a clean room. The other was exposed to the dirt and bacteria and so built up a natural resistance. Thus wouldn't be killed by the flu later in life.

Point is that you are right. The seeds come from plants that are given all of the things they need with out having to work for them, and are rarely exposed to the things that might kill them. If a plan is infected by something it is unlikely to be used to cultivate seeds from. So in the end we have seeds that make plants that require more care than if they were from plants grown in the wild.

14. #14 custom280Z, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2010

why? why is it not?
    this is actually happening in plants, animals and humans not just mj bro..it all goes full circle..
    i feel its a very easy example to realate to..
    and very true..
    i see what your saying but, your just using the same example with further detail..
    i was not going to go off thread in other words detailing a simple example..
    but it still holds the same guide lines either way

15. cool dark place..cool DARK place..
    not warm dark or lighted dark place..
    that and the fact that your cutting out air and locking in stale air..even dust... in the right condition ...can create mold..
    next time just get a shot glass or dish, wet two paper towels with tap water...sandwich the seeds between and put it in a cool, dark place..

tap water has chlorine that help's protect the seed from pathogen, etc..
    plus the trace minerals in tap are helpfull for germination..

once your seeds sprout
    then transplant tail down..in soil, medium, etc..

16. Listen to the wize man.

Freak
    :smoking: