Is It Natural Spirituality?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Sullyy, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Let me start off by saying that I base this question on the personal belief that one should ingest and have your body introduced only to things that are natural. For example, little to no medication (if it is some pharmaceutical concoction), only eating whole foods (and as organic as possible), etc.

By saying that, the only drug that interests me is marijuana, simply because it is natural, unlike things like acid, and it is fairly harmless.

However, the real question that I wonder about is whether or not it interferes with one's spirituality. I ask this because I question whether it is better, or more pure if you will, to practice spirituality, as well as higher-order psychology unaided, or without any mind-altering substances that would alter your own view.

Please discuss.

2. #2 Perpetual Burn, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2009
    You know the natural state for an apple is to be hanging from a tree not in your stomach. ;)

To say that processed foods or pharmaceuticals are unnatural is to say that humans are unnatural. I see it as human nature to manipulate our environment to suit our needs, so engineering foods and drugs is as perfectly natural as picking an apple from a tree.

Seeing as how drugs and drug use are natural, I see no point in disallowing them on your spiritual journey.

3. I disagree. To each his own, but my definition of natural is that that was not chemically altered, essentially being able to be found right from nature.

4. Well, how do you think The Tree came to be from The Big Bang without being altered along the way?

5. I doubt that God synthesized a tree in a lab. What happened there came to be due to natural evolution (at least I believe so).

Aerosols made the hole in the ozone, the hole didn't just open up itself.

6. Anyway, I don't want to deviate from the spirituality issue.

7. What if the Universe is God's lab?

Evolution? As in change over time... alterations made by consciousness affecting consciousness.

Why separate the Ozone from Humanity? If you see it all as One, then if humans created the hole, the hole created itself.

8. 1. That is if you believe in God.

2. That is not the definition of evolution. At all. Evolution is not conscious in the least bit; it is mostly accidental.

3. You are thinking of my ozone analogy out of context of what I meant. However, I do see your point, but it still does not justify certain things to me such as high fructose corn syrup (an abstract example, but one that comes to mind as a very unnecessary man-made substance that has been found to contain mercury, which we then eat in certain foods).

4. I would really like to get back to the spirituality of the subject.

9. Your own spirituality is only as whole and pure as you percieve it, toke up all you want. Certain drugs like shrooms may even give you a significantly stronger spiritual perception, even days after the trip. I'd say don't worry about what you put in your body, it's your body - you make up your own rules and discipline yourself, if you have peace of mind in your decisions then you will probably be taken care of spiritualy.

10. I will tell you that my biggest "spiritual" awakening to date was followed by frequent medical use of MJ. It was an electrifying time. I was so caught up in it all, I even thought that MJ was holding me back. So i stopped for a few years.

Nothing remarkable in progress happened.

Then this year, I figured I might as well use my meds again and feel good since I was going no where. And now, I feel like I getting back on track.

Of course it's all subjective - what on these matters aren't. But the anecdotal evidence with me so far is that MJ helps me grow "spiritually" (yeah, I don't like that term: fan of UG and all... ; - ).

So YMMV?

11. Well, I don't (my definition of God doesn't require belief,) but I assumed you did since you have doubts about what It did or did not do to create The Tree.

Let's say that Natural Selection drives Evolution... the selection process/who procreates will be decided by that species/consciousness.
    Seems like every which way you go, people are messin' things up. :wave:
    I think you've already figured this subject out... "To each his own."

12. I think everything is natural, I bought an occilating fan and its like a new pal. All he does is shake his head 'no' though.

Do you guys believe that evolution occurs in clear paths? Monkeys might have to work on a few things before desiring an understanding of calculus.

13. Yeah, you're right, but the thing is that I want to find out if it will cloud my spirituality. Refer to the eight-fold path for certain forms of Buddhism, how they say to not cloud the mind with mind-altering substances.

I want to know if weed will actually do that... or if it will not interfere with your individual spiritual journey.

14. man is natural. Anything made by man is natural. It is like saying a log cabin is unnatural. Its made solely of logs from tree's cut down... pretty natural. Just as natural as a beaver dam. But it was still cut down and turned into something that nature couldn't make on its own, at least not without the help of natural animals. We are natural animals... we manipulate our environment- what we do is no different than a birds nest etc. Same goes for a meal - macaroni and meatballs are unnatural (by this theory) - because they didn't grow or come to existence without the help of humans... its still all natural ingredients that were combined to make the meal, it just needed the assistance of human ingenuity, which is 100% natural. Everything came from something; even if its manmade, its still natural

15. What about certain medicines? Sure, AmbienCR, for example, may help one fall and stay asleep, but it comes with a whole slew of side effects, all of which are due to the drug's unnatural, chemically-enhanced state.

To say that anything made by man is natural is not only too broad of a statement, basically funneling all aspects of what is natural and unnatural so that there is no such thing as natural, but it is a contradiction to what is that intended by nature and what is derived from man's conquests. If you could take a medicine that treated an allergy, but also had the side effects of drowsiness, diarrhea, etc., or the choice of an herbal supplement that treats it just the same, but no side effects, due to it being NATURAL, what would you take?

16. I'm actually pretty against pharmaceuticals, and my dad is even a pharmacist - but, first of all, the side effects of 99% of approved drugs affect about .001 percent of the people who use them. That being said, there are also side effects of herbs and 'natural' plants. Marijuana and memory loss and demotivation - sure it doesn't do that to everyone, but it does to a lot. St Johns Wort, used for anxiety or depression, also has the same negative effects that SSRI's (antidepressents) have (which is causing manic episodes in bi-polar people - they both do that). As far as chemically engineered drugs/pharmaceuticals, they generally carry risks just as much as most herbs and natural remedies. Most opiates and opiods are as dangerous, and in the same way, as just plain old smoked opium. Opium is a great pain killer, just like heroin or morphine - but they can also both be quite harmful and addictive. The point i'm making here is that the 'natural' herbal remedies can be just as dangerous as many, if not most, of the drugs on the market today. Eat a mushroom and theres a good chance that natural funghi will kill you.

I'm all for the conventional idea of "natural" medicine or natural anything - but the point i'm making is what we conventionally view as natural is identical to what we consider unnatural - both in how it is constructed, and the dangers they pose.

17. Shrooms and weed, really ;).

18. #18 super-iD, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2009
    Shrooms and weed, together. Naturally.

I like to throw my fresh shrooms in a strawberry and down em. I call em shroomberries.

Fuck tho I just got the taste of shrooms in my mouth just thinking about it... :eek: nasty

I had by far the biggest and most profound spiritual experience the night of my first shroom session, where I ate just 9g's of fresh p.cubes that I picked earlier that day and smoked a whole lot of some good ass weed... I think it might have been AK47.

Well, all of this was fallowing a day of basically clearing my mind, relaxing totally, being in company of my best friend, walking to a field and picking the shrooms, getting a scale. It was just a great, relaxing day that would transmute into the most beautiful night of my life. All I ate that day was a little whole grain bread in the morning, and then fruits, juice and a ton of water all day. Ate pretty light.

Then I think it was just all of the factors, combined with my mindset, that thrust me into the absolute best spiritual adventure of my life, that night. The actually shroom picking process was somewhat of a spiritual ritual in itself - I'm going into nature, I'm the only person around, surrounded by beautiful cows on a beautiful Florida morning, scouting for these mushrooms.

While I was there I noticed that there was this huge weed sticking out of the ground that had a lot of buds. And I thought: damn, that is exactly what a marijuana plant is. I think actually seeing that and making these types of observations helped my mindset. The way I viewed the shrooms... I didn't let myself get all caught up in my mind about what to expect. I read about them on erowid and my friend had told me about them, but I knew that I was going to experience whatever I was going to experience, and that I have to embrace whatever comes. That was my mindset.

By the time night came around we had 4 of us eating shrooms and one sober watcher: we're all practically brothers. Shit was just absolutely amazing. The weed combined with the shrooms... word's cannot even describe not only the euphoria, but the absolutely crystal clarity I was seeing and thinking in, the stillness within me and the Oneness that I could FEEL with every inch of my body.

So to answer your question: I look at it just as you are ingesting any other one of Mother Nature's fruits. You eat the apple off of the apple tree, the tomato out of the tomato plant, the buds of the cannabis plant, the shrooms on a cowshit. It really all is one - so how could it be "bad" for you. It just is. IT JUST IS. That's the thought that I kept in my mind and I could literally consciously observe myself transform as the shrooms and weed were hitting me - now, keep that thought in your head next time you trip or smoke, and then watch what happens :smoking: Don't let your mind taint what is just there.

19. Super-iD, thank you. That was a really beautiful story that also answered my question.

20. At what point is something unnatural?
    All things occur naturally.