is it just me or does shaped mac and cheese taste better?

Discussion in 'General' started by dareujoe, Oct 23, 2012.

1. So we all know the heavenly food that is macaroni and cheese. It's amazing but today I made myself a box of the spongebob shaped mac and cheese and it was just so much better than the normal noodles already are. Am I the only one who thinks this?

2. yeah mang they hold onto the cheese sauce better imo

3. Came in here to recommend the Spongebob ones for ya. Good choice!

4. There's deff a difference!

5. My brother doesn't like macaroni and cheese, it's so weird.
    But I agree, shaped mac and cheese is yummy :)

6. I think shaped tastes way worse

7. They each have slightly different ratios of ingredients and mixing instructions, so it's definitely not surprising that you may like one a bit more than the other :)

The shaped kraft varieties that are geared more towards children according to the manufacturers, will tend to call for less fat unless you doctor it up and add more, and the cheese packets they include contain more sugar and slightly more salt, while the standard kraft box on the other hand tends to produce a portion of similar size, that will contain anything between thirty percent to nearly double the fat content depending on the batch/season, slightly less salt, and with a gram or two less sugar than the shaped variety.. with only around 5 - 7 grams per serving, it can definitely make a difference.

And like many brands, they also periodically (sometimes seasonally) alter the ratio of ingredients used in their products, to keep the taste from getting monotonous or 'stale' to regular consumers, and sometimes to keep up with (and compensate for) the changing ingredient supply/cost.

Long story short, if you're ever stuck with a box of the kind you don't like, you can just use the above to compensate, by adding a pinch of extra salt and sugar or a bit less butter, or vice versa. :p

8. It's so true. I think it's the nostalgia- happy thoughts are yummy.

9. Nah its all about the spiral macaroni! holy shit. that stuff is the best. i'm gonna make some of that today :smoke:

10. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9o0sB1ZN3Q]False.mov - YouTube[/ame]

11. I like both but I remember that the Kraft recipe in the 90's and early millennium tasted far more different from the modern recipe, maybe I need to get on the shaped mac and cheese bandwagon.

12. Its an illuuuuusion

13. Only if its spongebob shaped.

14. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKAgo1Mnf4Y]You are Wrong - YouTube[/ame]

15. i thought i was the only one who thought this lol i only buy the spongebob ones :cool:

16. I'll tell you why it tastes better.

Each box of mac and cheese, no matter the "style" of the noodles, receives the same amount of cheese. The custom shape noodle styles come with less noodles in the box (including the spiral variety) so each noodle is getting more cheese.

17. Cookie hit the nail on the head.

18. I dont fuck with mac n cheese, I know, unpopular choice.. but I will say triangle cut sandwiches taste better than a normal shaped loaf of bread :D

19. Fuck shaped macaroni that shit tastes BUTT FUCK NASTY. Normal shape for me cause that kid shaped shit tastes EXTRA fake and weird.

Can't believe you guys prefer that shit do you guys work for the kraft shaped noodle department or what,

20. Nope, just differing taste buds. :)