Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is it harmful to hold your breath in too long?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by crazekid, Feb 27, 2011.

1. I have never smoked before in my life and only use vaporizers but I read online that you have to hold in vape hits much longer than regular smoke because the thc in the vapors take longer to penetrate your lungs. I have always held in my vapor for about 30 seconds or until I feel like I need to take a breath but I have always wondered if this is harmful to my brain? I have read conflicting sides to it with some people saying it is in fact harmful while others say you will never ever damage your brain from holding your breath in because your brain will automatically force you to take a breath before any damage can be done. Is that true? Do you think im damaging my brain by holding it in too long? I have never passed out or anything from it just felt a little light headed but that could have been from the weed obviously. Thanks.

2. Oxygen deprivation is harmful, despite what you may have been told. Not to sound like a robot, because people spew this line everywhere on this site, but "holding your hits for more than a few seconds is pointless bro."

THC is absorbed exponentially, with close to 100% absorption after 4-5 seconds. (I've seen a graph)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Right, I've heard that before too but I thought that was just for smoke, not vapor?

4. It wouldn't matter if there was a dick in your mouth. You aren't getting oxygen when holding your breath.

5. No, vapor is absorbed in the same way as smoke. Your lungs are like sponges not air bags, and the THC starts getting absorbed right away and almost all is absorbed in the first few seconds.

If you want to hold your hits in longer with vapor it's OK though because vapor obviously doesn't harm your lungs like smoke. Holding smoke in and ghost hitting is fairly stupid because all the gray crap that makes smoke gray is obviously just getting stuck in your lungs if you hold the hit to where you don't blow anything out.

And holding your breathe for 30 seconds or so won't hurt you. If you feel lightheaded obviously tone it down some.

6. Holding your breath in even while not smoking or vaping is harmful because you are cutting off oxygen to your brain.

7. Technically the THC in smoke is still THC vapor...

8. im never holding in my breath again.

9. Yeah, don't hold your breath for more than like 3 seconds there's really nothing to gain, I can tell when people are counting in their head with their face looking like a bloatfish trying to hold their hit and it just makes me laugh. Some people are so misinformed.

10. When you are holding your breath, no oxygen is getting to your brain, which is bad. Thats why you often feel a bit more high after a coughing/laughing fit.

11. okay just did some googling and came up with these responses:
    "Brain damage will occur after 4 minutes of no oxygen going to the brain. As long as his heart is still pumping, he'll still get that oxygen to the brain. Relax, he will pass out before that happens. In his unconscious state, he'll breath. So don't worry. As for the blood vessels, I would take him to his pediatrician and bring it up then. Good luck."
    "brain cells die after 3 mins 3 days with out water 3 weeks without food. It is impossible to hold your own breath to cause brain damage. It sounds more like someone was choking him."
    Does holding your breath cause brain damage?? very important?

hmmmmm I dont know what to believe now.

12. Breathing in any burning plant matter is harmful, so exhale after a few seconds.

13. talking about vaporizers here.

14. It's still never good to deprive yourself of oxygen for too long, I'm not sure what biological process go on before your brain cells start dying after 3 minutes, but I highly doubt they go from "fine" to "damaged" in an instant

15. Makes sense. Well regardless, I'm never holding in my breath longer than 5 seconds ever again.