Is it ethical to...?

Discussion in 'General' started by xtiffany, Feb 14, 2009.

1. All 5 people chop off a leg or 2 and throw it overboard.

2. #42 stonerish, Feb 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2009
    ethics are human... they dont exist except to make us seem more empowered... we are animals... (they have perception and a 'self' as well)

you can do whatever you want on that raft and be justified in it, as long as you beliee yourself to be

perception is all thats relavent

edit.... the fat guy should throw 2 ppl off instead first....

3. well no shit. survival of the fittest. and of course the fat man is not the fittest. so yes.

4. The fat dude can survive on his fat for a while, the skinny guys are both going to have to find food. Where'as the fat dude would only have one portion.

-Mark

5. Yes, it's ethical to throw him overboard, on both utilitarian and Kant/Rawls-type grounds.

A trickier question is whether it's ok to kill one person (whose life isn't currently threatened) to save two other people's lives. This is where you'll find some differences between act-utilitarians on the one hand and rule-utilitarians and Kant/Rawls folks on the other.

But in the situation you described, yeah, pretty much everyone's ok with throwing the guy off.

6. This thread is a bunch of typical stoner faggots arguing about something we all know the answer to. Stop being a bitch and when neccessary, survive on instinct.

7. the fact that he is fat would make me feel less sorry for him (no fat hate)

8. Every goddamn man for himself.

Chaos, Chaos!

9. survival of the fittest.

10. if you're referring to darwin's theroy, then that theory is bullshit.

we need to share in order for ALL to survive.

11. dude, if you dont like what is beig said in this thread then GTFO.

we dont need any haters in here. and if you're trying to ruin this discussion, then your a douchbag. congrats!

12. But we all die in the end anyway, am I correct?

The only ethical point we're debating - is who gets to go first.

;)

13. those people on the boat were on a cruise ship, but then it sank, so that is why they are on the small boat.

so, rescue will eventually come.

so, you are half correct because they dont know when rescue will come, but probably some will die due to hunger and cold weather. it just depends who can survive through that.

14. This scenerio reminds me of the ship scene in Dark Knight. 2 ships are loaded with people, 1 full of prisoners, 1 full of civilians. They both are loaded with bombs and each ship has the other's detonator. They have, what, an hour? to decide whether or not to blow up the other ship. If none of them decide to, both ships blow up.

Is it ethical to blow up the ship full of prisoners who have already had their chance?

Now that I write it out, it's kind of astray from the original scenerio with the 300 pound dude, but you get my point.
    Regardless, I don't know if it's ethical or not!!

15. No one is hating, I am simply stating a fact in which none of you imbesels seem to comprehend.
    The answer to this question has already been said.

This thread is a bunch of typical stoner faggots arguing about something we all know the answer to. Stop being a bitch and when neccessary, survive on instinct.

/thread

16. ohyeahh, i totally forgot about that scene in dark knight. good job remembering.

but yeahh, i would blow up those prisoners. BUT there are also innocent prison workers where the prisoners are who are just doing their job. will it be ethical to blow the ship up when those prison workers are on that boat? i dont think so because they didnt do anything. they are just doing their job.

--
    but from a Utilitarian point of view, yes it is ethical to kill that one man.

because you are killing one person to save four others.

17. That's not the point I'm getting at.

Everyone dies eventually.

The ethical point we're debating, is the one who get's his time shorted.

The sooner everyone can accept that we're going to die anyway, the less relevant this topic becomes.

:)

18. Re: Is it ethical to...? \t\t\t
    \t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t \t\t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t\tNo one is hating, I am simply stating a fact in which none of you imbesels seem to comprehend.
    The answer to this question has already been said.

This thread is a bunch of typical stoner faggots arguing about something we all know the answer to. Stop being a bitch and when neccessary, survive on instinct.

/thread
    \t\t
    \t\t \t\t \t\t \t\t \t\t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t\t__________________
    \t\t\t\t[​IMG]
    "I am destruction itself. I will destroy all who is a reflection of myself."

19. okay, if you're gonna keep calling us "imbesels" and "stoner faggots" then GTFO.

if you dont have anything nice to say, then dont say it at all.

and you posted the same thing twice.

20. How much weight needs to be displaced for the boat to stay afloat? Because if its not all 300lbs, then no its not ethical, say its only 150-180lbs that needs to be gone, for the boat to not sink, would it not be the smarter decision then, to pick the least important person who weighs 150+ and toss him overboard, and then you have the fatty to eat when you reach the island and are starveing, because then you would have more food, then the 150lb person?