Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is it better to cough or hold in smoke?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Tyler Bro, Mar 19, 2013.

1. As title says, which one do you guys/girls do?

2. Hold it in for as long as you can and cough

3. Hold, then cough. ;)))) gets you much higher. Holding it allows it to travel through your body, and coughing actually helps pump it. And a natural cough means a nasty hit. :)

4. Why would u hold it in for as long as you can?
    Just gives your lungs more time to absorbs all the toxic crap you don't want.
    I usually exhale around 4 seconds but if I had to cough I do, not much of a choice.
    With vapor I hold it for 10 seconds.

5. Dont listen to the 14 year olds who say hold it in. It doesnt get anymore thc out of it it gives you oxygen deprivation aka not good for your brain.

6. yeah.. hold it in.. that way you get the most thc out of it, I try do 5 minutes but go for just 2 if its your first time

7. It would be most efficient to cough a lot at first then hold in a lot. Coughing opens the capillaries, blood vessels in your lungs, and allows you to absorb more THC. So cough a real nice and hard for a few rips, then hold.
    :bongin:

8. Scientists say that over 95% of ThC is asorbed after about 3 seconds of
    the smoke being in your lungs

9. ik this is the newbie section so there is gonna be some newbie responses but to the guy that said 5mins , that's waaaay too long. Even if you take a huge bong rip most all of the thc is absorbed with 3-5secs, after that your just cutting off oxygen.

I usually hold them for about 4 or 5 secs. Sometimes less if i'm speed toking in a hurry. With joints i tend to hold the smoke in longer , idk why.

With vapes you can hold it in for a super long ass time. idk the exact figures for thc absorption with vapor but i've heard people holding vape hits for 3-5mins.

10. Yes, basically most of the chemicals from marijuana are absorbed within the first second or two in the lungs, holding in for longer than this actually increases the risk of lung problems/damage.

11. Hold and cough

12. Especially with hige bongrips where theres like .1 sitting in your lungs

13. im havin a problem here i want to hold my smoke in fir over 3 mins but keep coughing before lol. i usually hold it for like a min

14. I try to hold it in as long as possible, but I can only manage 1-2 seconds before I start coughing unless I'm vaping. Oh well, got high anyway.

15. I usually just hold it for 2 or 3 minutes or until i pass out

16. These threads show up all the damn time. People: THC is absorbed in seconds not minutes. Anything longer than 10 seconds is a waste of time. This is a known fact. Learn it and move on.

17. I do 5 seconds at the very most.

18. Do whichever one feels better to you. I only hold for a couple seconds and still get high as fuck off of like .2 or a little less. Nothing wrong with holding it in though. Who cares if you get more 'toxicity' if you hold it in a little longer. Do what makes you happy and don't worry about that silly shit. I may be biased on that though because I smoke cigarettes so I'm getting my fair dose of toxic smoke anyway.

19. Hold it for 5 seconds then blow it out slowly seems to be the method that gets me highest. Holding it any longer just deprives you of oxygen giving you that extra 'kick' haha. Coughing makes my lungs hurt a lot more if I cough with smoke in them.

20. 3 seconds, same amount to saturate thc or nicotine