Is it bad that I want to go to culinary school?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rhyme Pillage, Dec 1, 2013.

1. #1 Rhyme Pillage, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2013
    Im not so interested in my local community college, feels like high school 2.0 and I just wanna get my culinary certificate but the family wants me to get the standard 4 years of college which I think isn't for me. I'm aware of what kind of job is in for me (long hours, lowish pay) because I currently work in 2 kitchens. But with the help of culinary schooling I can get good paying jobs such as a sous chef or an executive chef. Should I just go for what I wanna do even though my parents will probably give me shit for it?

Edit: I know this sounds fucking stupid but I live under their roof and shit so it's annoying to have to hear their opinion on me all the time.

2. I say you are on the right track and a good cook/chef will always have work. With a degree in culinary arts you could be the manager of a fine restaurant.

Look at it this way too, EVERYONE LIKES TO EAT! how could you go wrong?

Iv been told a chef on a cruise ship makes good money working just part of the year.

I know 4 chefs and all of them live well and are a hit with the stuff they bring to eat at get togethers.

Run, don't walk to culinary art school. :D

3. Right now I'm quitting my oilfield job of three years to leave and cook hoping it turns out to be the right choice, anyway I feel ya and just do what makes you happy

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. Damn, that's a big change. I hope it goes well man.

5. Follow your dreams before it gets too late. Plus its your life, not theirs. If you wanna go to culinary school and be a chef, do it man. But do it with passion no matter where you go. Cause as you know its not the most glamorous job there. So save slme money and learn how to manage a restuarant also, this way you can maybe one day open your own restaurant. And then you can rub it in your parents face lol.

Sent from The Gods.

6. Thanks man, but I worked in a kitchen 5 years before while in high school and I know I great it is so never look at culinary school as something bad, people always want other people to cook for them therefor my friend you and I will always be able to find work! Happy tokes and fresh eats!

7. #7 Judgement, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2013
    My father wasn't around much when I was a kid but I remember well when I wanted to be a Chef like daddy to which my father said "No you don't". If you like it though then sure man, you'll come out well rounded knowing how to do everything from wine stewardship, pastry cooking , cake decorating, etc. The more knowledge you got under your belt along with a degree from a reputable culinary school can only help you go further with what you're already doing.  Hell my father eventually got sick-er of the kitchen and got a job cutting meat at Costco since they covered that at CIA too.

8. Ya man, nothing wrong with wanting to be a chef, fucking do it!

Edit: always do what u wanna do and you'll be fine, plus I think you'll be having a good time. <--- I believe that to be true.

Good luck amigo!!!!

I'm gonna have one of your dishes one day lol, hopefully. Good luck again. Peace out broo

9. As long as you do what you do with passion, you'll never regret your decisions.

If you want to be a chef, you'll succeed.

10. Its your life man, do what makes you happy.  Why go to 4 year school doing something you don't want to do just to make your family happy?

11. Specialized training is the way to go if it's what you want to do.  Your parents just want you to have a a just in case back up which is also a good ideer.

Hell yes, he can be the top dog if he is presented with the opportunity.

13. Do what makes you happy and it will be fine my friend is goin to culinary school next semester he has been a chef at 3 local restaurants. And who wouldn't love a cook who smokes bud, you probably make the dankest munchie foods haha.
    Do it up man good luck

Sent from woah sweet Grasscity Forum

14. Your already ahead of the game, most people spend years trying to figure out what they want to do. If it's a passion of yours go for it because it's not your parents who are going to have to be happy with the career path you choose.

15. Dude, its your life no one else can tell you what to do. If you want to do it and see the possible consequences then fuck what anyone else thinks

16. Work hard and do what makes you happy.

17. Look for a 4yr,or a 2yr associates program. You'll get allot of general education that will help u& will also convince your parents that they should pay for it. You can find a program in a legal or medicinal state.

18. If it is what you want to do, follow you dreams. Your family only want what is best for you as they have dreams for you too but it isn't their life, it's yours and up to you. I'm sure they will support your decision whatever you decide to do. All they will want deep down is for you to be happy and to succeed in what you want to do. I hope it works out for you.

19. why would it be bad. cooking is awesome. and it makes your house smell yummer yummer

20. I say fuck your parents (with no disrespect intended, of course), chefs are locs. Be a chef. "She was living in a single room with three other individuals. One of them was a male and the other two, well the other two were female. God only knows what they were up to in there. And furthermore, Susan, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn that all four of them habitually smoked marihuana cigarettes..... REEFERS"