Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is it bad for my heart?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Bencker, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Hey, i'm posting this in the MMJ section because you guys seem really well educated about MJ's effects on the body :)

I have this heart condition, it's not THAT bad, it's just my heart is a little weaker than others. I have smoked a couple of times before and it hadn't really bothered my heart at all. No effects that other people don't have. BUT, about a week ago i smoked really much for the first time, like from 1am to about 9am, so i was high for about eight hours, and went to sleep.

The next day i was fine, but the day after that, my heart starts beating really hard and i start feelingnauseous when i smoke cigarettes and/or drink coffe, and it has been that way all week, plus i have gotten a really bad cold.

Could it be the fact that i have a really bad cold, or is it the fact that i smoked weed for eight hours straight and my heart took a beating ? It's a little better now, i can drink coffee and smoke cigarettes and my heart doesn't beat any faster. I think i'll be back to normal in about a week or so, but i'm just curious about what you think.

Sorry for the long post and (possibly) the bad english, since english isn't my first language, i hope you'll understand :)

2. Does your heart condition have a name?

It seems as though stimulants irritate it causing it to speed up and you're noticing the effects, I would describe these symptoms to a doctor to see what you should do.

There could be a simple medication you should be taking that will solve the problem, check it out. :cool:

3. Yeah, but i forgot the full name. I think it's Fallots something, i think there's various types called Fallots, i'll ask my moms tomorrow. :)

See, there's a hole in my hearts left chamber, but when i was very very little i had an operation that fixed it. But it's not 100%

4. if I were you Id quit the cigs fast, they cant be good for your heart.

as for the chron... no idea. I know it increases your heart-rate because of increased blood flow, but I doubt it stresses it.

5. Yeah i don't smoke regularly :), but i do snus (like.. chewing tobacco but ya don't chew it) it does that to me too, i'm sure it's the nicotine that makes my heart beating faster.

6. yeah man, the MJ is fine, but lay off on the nicotine and caffeine, neither can be good for ya.

7. ya im sure that nicotine is worse on your heart than any MJ. if you are really concerned that your heart might be stressed by weed, i would stop any tobacco consumption since that is definitely worse for you. hope things work out and take care!

8. If you have fallots then your a lot more at risk to develop an arrhythmia. Caffeine and other substances can cause your heart to go into different rhythms. Its not really all that big of a deal, people rarely die from arrhythmia's. If it keeps bothering you just see a cardiologist, he'll do a few EKGs (electrocardiograms) on you and then put you on beta blockers to suppress the arrhythmia.

9. Your cold may have played a part, but the nicotine and caffeine may be affecting you
    even worse. Seriously think about giving them up.

<table border="1" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="650"> <tbody> <tr> <td colspan="2"> <center> HOW DANGEROUS IS MARIJUANA
    COMPARED WITH OTHER SUBSTANCES?

</center> Number of American deaths per year that result directly or primarily from the following selected causes nationwide, according to World Almanacs, Life Insurance Actuarial (death) Rates, and the last 20 years of U.S. Surgeon Generals' reports. </td> </tr> <tr> <td height="35">TOBACCO</td> <td height="35">340,000 to 450,000</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="35">ALCOHOL (Not including 50% of all highway deaths and 65% of all murders) </td> <td height="35">150,000+</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="35">ASPIRIN (Including deliberate overdose) </td> <td height="35">180 to 1,000+</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="35">CAFFEINE (From stress, ulcers, and triggering irregular heartbeats, etc.) </td> <td height="35">1,000 to 10,000 </td> </tr> <tr> <td height="35">"LEGAL" DRUG OVERDOSE (Deliberate or accidental) from legal, prescribed or patent medicines and/or mixing with alcohol - e.g. Valium/alcohol </td> <td height="35">14,000 to 27,000 </td> </tr> <tr> <td height="35">ILLICIT DRUG OVERDOSE (Deliberate or accidental) from all illegal drugs.</td> <td height="35">3,800 to 5,200 </td> </tr> <tr> <td height="35">MARIJUANA</td> <td height="35">0 </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" height="100">(Marijuana users also have the same or lower incidence of murders and highway deaths and accidents than the general non-marijuana using population as a whole. Crancer Study, UCLA; U.S. Funded ($6 million), First & Second Jamaican Studies, 1968 to 1974; Costa Rican Studies, 1980 to 1982; et al. LOWEST TOXICITY 100% of the studies done at dozens of American universities and research facilities show pot toxicity does not exist. Medical history does not record anyone dying from an overdose of marijuana (UCLA, Harvard, Temple, etc.). </td> </tr> </tbody> </table> http://www.jackherer.com/comparison.html

GL man!!

10. Yeah thanks for all the replys guys :) My heart condition is called Fallots Tetrad. I think i might have gotten arrythmea, but i'll wait like 2 weeks and see if there's any change. If not, i'm going to go see my cardiologist (i see him once a year anyway)

11. It's all good now :smoke: so high.. smoked last night too, it most definately is NOT the weed.

12. Congrats, thats good news to hear. ;)