Is intellect a gift or curse?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Mogwai, Aug 27, 2011.

1. But if you are smart, you also don't focus on the negatives. :smoke:

2. Depends how you use it

3. When intelligence is understood, and properly utilized, it is a gift. When misused, or abused, it can be a curse.

4. I like how Einstein referred to it as "his ability to absorb knowledge." He also said that imagination is more important than intelligence.

5. I feel the same way OP, I believe that's just our ego taking over.

Remember, were all human, so our brain's don't really differ besides our philosophical view. Which can make a person who he/she is.

6. way untrue! seeing through ALL of the BS, lies and general "go with the flow" sheep mentality where doing the wrong thing because you're short sighted, stupid and ruled by your instincts has bothered me my entire life! it's hard to find bliss surrounded by almost nothing but stupid assholes who fight you every time you try to prevent wrongs.

7. I think that was meant to be a double entrende; wise would probably be a better term in that phrase though

8. #48 DBV, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2011
    It wasn't a literal statement... more to point out that it isn't too bright to focus on the negative all the time. But if that's your thing, I'm not here to say your wrong.

9. right now i'm too busy focusing on a couple lying stupid pieces of obfuscating crap defending the indicas only status quo in most markets instead of admitting the FACT that more people like getting high than don't and that the reason you can't is because most growers in it for the money are greedy scum that don't care that their gear can't get you high and use the money the STEAL from their customers to buy shit that DOES get you high from growers in it for the love.

i think my point is proven unless you're an obfuscator more concerned with social stratification than right or wrong like most useless humans

10. what if everybody were taoists instead of christians. they love to go with the flow. :smoke:

11. wait, what? i'm not concerned with any of the above, lol. :smoke:

12. going with the flow is the root of all evil.

13. Theres not many chemists who are in if for the love nowadays either unfortunately, I hate yields, smaller batches for higher purity, always

14. #54 Verdurous, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Actually, I've always thought evil was the root of all evil. Otherwise evil would just be going with the flow all of the time and Taoists would be satanic demons, which they obviously aren't.

15. #55 DBV, Aug 29, 2011
    Maybe your trying to say what's "right" in all the wrong ways? As in, don't let anger control your response, and the conversation may go smoother..

16. Evil is a metaphor

lol nah just playin with that one

17. #57 hazey grapes, Aug 29, 2011
    ABSOLUTELY! i don't believe in sugar coating and ass kissing to appease scum in the wrong., i tell it like it is and have an attitude because idiots see that as "class jumping" and will actually rally around the scum as they perceive them as stronger and people are just stoopid sheep like that.

you'll never see me call myself a paragon of getting along with people. far from it, but i'm almost always the one who's right. i'm also the first to admit when i know i'm wrong because i don't want to look like the idiots that never are.

here's a PERFECT case in point... in high school, a social studies teacher posed a theoretical question about being in charge of a fallout shelter and charged with REBUILDING SOCIETY. then, a list of people is given and you have to kick the 2 people that there isn't room or supplies for out and you can't volunteer. the list went something like a 40 year old farmer, a 32 year old housewife, a female college student, a 38 year old mechanic with life threatening injuries, an 87 year old priest and a gay lawyer.

i chose the LOGICAL 2 people to get ejected, the mechanic and the priest because they were the 2 least physically fit candidates but EVERYONE in the class voted for one of those two and the gay lawyer and turned on me like a pack of snarling wolves calling me faggot. i'll be the first to admit i'm homophobic, but would STILL make the same decision now because IT'S THE RIGHT ONE.

that's my life in microcosm. THAT'S why i punch lies in the neck

18. That's your choice man. I hope it brings you happiness...

If it doesn't, try placing yourself on the same pedestal as everyone else, instead of trying to step above them.

19. Or place yourself with insignificant proportions and try to climb up into the plane of current society.

I tried that once and it was a real eye-opener, I try to not be a part of society anymore. IDK if the results were what I was lookin for, but it was certainly a learning experience in one way or another. I have low self esteem though so its not too hard to feel like a POS sometimes. Even though we are all equal essentially

20. that's just it! i have NO USE at all for ANY social stratification. i refuse to accept anyone as above me, but refuse to place anyone below me either. i shun special treatment. i won't accept something at the expense of someone else. i simply demand the same respect that i offer anyone until they prove themselves unworthy. the only people that are are the good people that scum like to walk all over.

yes, i do the exact opposite of stoopid humans. i'm a vulcan