Is Hope A Gift And A Curse?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by cannabis, Apr 28, 2007.

1. I believe that It is...

In many ways.

The type of hope I'm referring to is not the one involved with faith and religion, I'm adressing the type that objectifies the preseferance that exists within us all whether you beileve in faith or not. The type that is related to optimism yet doesn't consider deliberation, incisive and intuitive thought processes. Hope is more assosiated with emotion rather then intelligence. It's not about conclusion but more along the lines of unrealistic desire. And desire is something that everyone can clearly relate to.

By definition Hope is

Hope is basically positive thinking, so how could that possibly have negative aspects to it you ask?

Simply because it can protract an individuals anguish and affliction. Hope can keep a man crawling around the depths of the Earth butt ass naked If he feels it will lead to a positive outcome. It has the capabilities of diminishing regret because of self beilef. I feel that regret is probably the worst feeling one can have, therefore making hope extremely negative indeed.

I think philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche said it best in Human, All Too Human, reguarding hope as "the most evil of evils because it prolongs man's torment."

We all have experience with the positive results of hope, but just know there is an evil side to the concept.

"Hope is the last thing that dies in man; and though it be exceedingly deceitful, yet it is of this good use to us, that while we are traveling through life it conducts us in an easier and more pleasant way to our journey's end."

- François de la Rochefoucauld

"He who has never hoped can never despair."

- George Bernard Shaw

:smoke:

2. I would assume that it's at least slightly different for every person. The subtleties of real human emotion can't really be put into words. I could say that hope gives me a warm tingly feeling because otherwise when I think about the future I get anxious. I hope, but I don't expect as that would be wishful thinking to me. Wishful thinking is indeed a killer when you recognize it for what it is. I don't know if that's very clear, there's too many fine lines.

3. It's both, it depends on how you use it. Like alcohol, it can be good for you and harmless fun, but it can also take you over.

Fuck I just realized I'm drunk... hahaha...

4. Just thought I'd bump this for more views...

5. Definitely. It can be used to calm or it can be this feeling that holds you back from taking matters into your own hands.

Very interesting thought. Good thread Cannabis :wave: