Is height pre-determined at birth?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by teeheeterror, Jul 2, 2012.

1. As a kid I always unathletic and lazy. My parents told me I grew the most during my junior high days and it wasn't until freshman year of HS that I started exercising more. I was 5'4" at that time and by the end of HS I was only 5'6" and a half or so. I'm 19 and I stand 169.4 cm. My mom is around 5'3" and I'm slightly taller than my dad by maybe 1 cm or so and they're always constantly telling me that my lack of height was attributed to the lack of exercising I did during those years.
    Do you think exercising can cause dramatic increases in height? Or is the gain really minimal? I heard even with the most balanced workouts and diets you don't gain much, probably like an inch at most. And based on what I see in alot of siblings, luck plays a really big role in it as well.

2. I'm almost positive its all genetic. If other factors entered into it they're probably negligible.

3. I think its pre determined since its in your genes

4. Nah exersize wont change you physically except for weight loss and building muscle. Your genetic make up is determined before you're born; height, hairline, eye color, your rate of growth even, whether its premature or delayed. Like those people that run iron man marathons and try to live as healthy lifestyle as possible to avoid heart attacks and strokes, they still get them cause its all pre determined if you have a hereditary disposition to certain diseases and conditions.

5. Yes, your height was determined the moment you were conceived. Factors such as a lack of adequate nutrition or certain illnesses can stunt your growth, also damage to growth plates in bones can cause this. But there isn't much you can do to increase your height.

Exercise can help improve your posture, which can make you appear taller, and more importantly, more confident.

6. Excersice will not cause you to grow in height.

Your parents are retarded.

7. You'll have a potential height and your enviroment will shape your exact height