Is growing outdoors harder in midwest?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Flower Czar, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Is growing outdoors harder than indoors? Specifically in the midwest (Iowa, Illinois, Northern Missouri climate). I have flowering plants that seemed pretty high maintenance in a controlled environment (fungal infections affected my plants which I had to treat by removing infected fan leaves) so it stands to reason they would be even more sensitive outside exposed to the elements.

I want to plant around 10 plants this next year outdoors and I want to know the optimal time to plant for max yield and what I'd do to minimize complications that will ruin my yield. Anybody able to share any experience/advice?

2. It's all about the strain, find one suited for you humidity level, temperature and wind level, and take one that does well against pests more than a THC powerhouse, it will pay in the end

• Like Like x 4
  3. Growing outdoor anywhere you have to worry about pests a lot more and not just bugs I mean deer or other animals too, rippers (people stealing your crop), weather (could rain too much, wind could be strong and fuck up your plants, etc) If you're guerrilla growing of course that has it's own set of hurdles to leap over as well. Outdoor is more work but can have insane yields if done properly. And as mentioned above me strain choice is really important.

4. try to start your babies indoor and when they're a couple of weeks old planting them outside, seedling are very sensible

5. Im planning on growing sour diesel, that's what I've been growing indoor. So what month would be ideal to plant them outside? I want massive yield at end of the summer. I am guerrilla growing them but I have a few spots in mind where I don't think people go much and I could visit once every week or so. I'm mostly worried about fungus and bugs, as I'm going to put traps and barriers to prevent grazing animals. Is there chemicals I can get that won't harm the plant or natural repellants? Also, how would I prevent some insects or underground organism from ruining my roots?

I find it strange that it can survive out in nature when they contract problems so easily when I'm controlling their environment and looking after them. Are their immune systems stronger when out in nature?

6. I usually veg outside and flower inside I live in Illinois and they veg outside just fine.

7. FC
    Read a few successful growers threads and you'll be miles ahead of the game..
    WorkingMans Redneck Paradise
    Working Man grows in your area and does it well..
    For huge plants most start inside at 15-9 lighting hours in March or April and put them out June 1st..
    For me and my outside grow only 2 things do I have to battle non stop are Caterpillars and Powdery Mildew..
    BT for the catties and Green Cure for the PM.. Both applied weekly start to finish.. BT is a very short lived biological and Cure is Potassium Bicarbonate food grade. Sister to baking soda chemically..
    [​IMG]
    BT only works in the guts of a very narrow range of creatures and they have to eat a small portion of it to be effective as it's not a contact killer..
    [​IMG]
    Cure weekly keeps the PM controlled nicely..
    As far as the rest of natures crawlers, nibblers and egg layers you'll have to be vigilant and watch close this first time or two.. I'll find a few mite damaged leafs but I never find a massed colony as something came along and ate them..
    Captain Jacks Spinosad I keep for outbreaks in the close quarts of the veg shed where 24-0 lights and hot temps can have white flies exploding overnight..
    [​IMG]
    A cattie chewing it's way across the young plants before I spot it can happen that fast as well..
    The damage from the caterpillars is hidden until harvest when they start to hang from the drying buds and all the mold points where each drop of cattie shit laid caused mold and you wind up tossing pounds of what should have been your first great harvest.. Spray BT every week without fail for a caterpillar free crop..
    [​IMG]
    Neem oil is another good choice but I won't use it in flower..
    BNW

8. If I keep them indoor for about a month and take them outside in late March what would you recommend I do to hide them while I drive to the transplant spots seeing as they'll be about a foot tall? Also how much would you estimate that all those pesticides and fertilizer will cost for 10-20 plants until harvest at the end of summer so I know how much to save up?

9. FC..
    Laying down in the trunk for the ride won't hurt them..
    BT and Cure run under $20 each.. Since it's a guerilla grow I'd go with chicken manure and alfalfa pellets in the holes to start with and you shouldn't have to feed them..
    Chicken manure runs 4 bucks a bag and alfalfa horse feed is 15 bucks for a 50 pound sack..
    I powered my grow with just the 2 amendments for a couple of years..
    BNW

10. Why do you need the alfalfa meal if you're using chicken manure? Chicken manure is high N-P-K,CA (for a non-synthetic fertilizer) even after being composted. (raw it can burn plants with excess N)

i would advise against alfalfa meal as a nitrogen source. it is low protein -> low nitrogen. soy bean meal, cottonseed meal, feather meal are all superior to alfalfa meal. With your recommendations, I would highly stress adding additional calcium!

http://smallfarms.oregonstate.edu/sites/default/files/em8936-e_med_res_0.pdf

As to growing in the midwest. . . humidity will cause potential issues at flower time, powdery mildew is a reality, but botytris/bud rot is a biggie. hard to control without using nasty shit that you (or anyone else) really want to burn and inhale.